It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Warns UN Sanctions Will Be a `Declaration of War'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
According to North Korea's official Korea Central News Agency, an un-named foreign ministry spokesman has stated that North Korea will "regard the sanctions as a declaration of war.'' This is comes after the April 18 comments made by White House spokesman Scott McClellan, that North Korea's nuclear weapons issue may be taken to the Security Council.

quote.bloomberg.com
April 26 (Bloomberg) -- North Korea said it would regard any sanctions by the United Nations as an act of war, after Washington said it may take the issue of the communist nation's nuclear program to the UN Security Council.

``The U.S. may bring the nuclear issue to the UNSC, if it wants that so much,'' the North's official Korea Central News Agency said late yesterday, citing an unidentified foreign ministry spokesman. North Korea ``will regard the sanctions as a declaration of war.''

This is North Korea's first direct response to comments by White House spokesman Scott McClellan on April 18 that taking issue to the Security Council was ``certainly'' a possibility. North Korea has previously warned against UN involvement in the matter.

The North's government has refused to come to talks since September, saying the U.S. hasn't abandoned its ``hostile policy'' toward the Stalinist nation. It boycotted talks with the U.S., South Korea, China, Japan and Russia, aimed at dismantling North Korea's nuclear weapons.

``We are fully ready to cope with everything in a do-or-die spirit and have already prepared all countermeasures against the sanctions,'' the North Korean agency said. The U.S. has consistently said there are no plans to invade North Korea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The "standoff" with North Korea began October of 2002 when it was learned that N. Korea had begun enriching uranium. The KCNA says that talks will not take place until Condoleezza Rice's comments that N. Korea is an "outpost of tyranny" are dealt with. This would not be the first time North Korea has threatened war over the UN Sanctions.

Related News Links:
www.globalpolicy.org
www.newsmax.com
www.heritage.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea: 'Sanctions Mean a War'

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thank God the "Axis Of Evil" doesn't behave as an axis.

If that rather unrelated troika of nations followed Dubya's lead, there would be neither diplomatic solutions nor posturing/grandstanding going on today, and urban Americans would be spending their lives in bomb shelters.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

and urban Americans would be spending their lives in bomb shelters.

lol
Hiding from who? NK? lol
Even if they could, they wouldn't dare attack the US mainland because they know that'd be the end of them.

And if you think Russia or China is willing to risk war with the US over North Korea, you're sadly mistaken. NK just isn't worth it.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
with in the next 10 years we, members of the UN, will most likely be involved in a shooting war

a war started by north korea over sanctions that the UN imposed.

talk about a nation behaving like a child.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Hiding from who? NK? lol

Hiding from whomever in the axis of evildoers it is that the corrupt Bush administration tells you is an imminent threat about to attack.

If only the Axis of Evil could be more axis-like, and if only there were really some WMDS remaining in Iraq, so that the Bush admin had a bit more credibility for its own fear and terror campaign.

LOL? No. I feel for what has happened to the American perception of the world, and particularly for Americans who see the US as an "impervious superpower" following a "righteous" agenda.

It is more obvious what has happened to to the "world" perception of America.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
*Sigh* more unrelated Bush and America bashing... There were three mentions of the U.S.A. in this topic:

"the U.S. hasn't abandoned its ``hostile policy'' toward the Stalinist nation"

Right, good. So far so good...

"The U.S. has consistently said there are no plans to invade North Korea"

That's good. I like that.

"Condoleezza Rice's comments that N. Korea is an "outpost of tyranny"

Yeah. It is.

Zip

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Heh, i like the "outpost of tyranny".

Sounds like it's from Warcraft III or some other game/movie.

"As our brave heroes advanced on the outpost of Tyranny ...."

That term seems to cater to a audience living up through hollywood and video games.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Wow. If the Bush administration really is the REAL AXIS OF EVIL, and they really WANTED to cover up that there weren't any WMD's, don't you think that they would just plant WMD's in IRAQ in the FIRST PLACE, to make it seem justified?

Wow..there's a concept, huh? But wait, even though they very well had that ability, because of the grand conspiracy, somehow they didn't!

'Ya know, some people on this board just make me wonder what the intelligence level of the world is coming to now-a-days.

Think about it - If Bush wanted to, he could plant the evidence so that everything was justified, all the people are happy, he has the whole nation behind him, and he can prance about the world claiming "terrorists!" and "evil-doers!" But wait, of course he doesn't do that, so instead he doesn't plant them, doesn't prance about, doesn't have the full support of the nation...the list goes on.

Point is, there is no grand conspiracy. Until the day that I see the barbed wires up and the armed soldiers walking through every street, the S.S. randomly raiding houses, and my family taken away never to be seen again - I don't buy it. Ignorance goes both ways, my dear friends, both ways.

-wD

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Hiding from whomever in the axis of evildoers it is that the corrupt Bush administration tells you is an imminent threat about to attack.

You're mixing your thought now.

You said in your first post that the if the Axis of evil acted like Bush, we'd be hiding from them because they'd pose a threat.
Now you're saying that it's the administration that wants us to hide from them.

Make up your mind.

If only the Axis of Evil could be more axis-like, and if only there were really some WMDS remaining in Iraq, so that the Bush admin had a bit more credibility for its own fear and terror campaign.

Not really sure how this is related to the article....
This crap is coming from NK, not Bush. So it would be Kim's "fear and terror campaign" no?

LOL? No. I feel for what has happened to the American perception of the world, and particularly for Americans who see the US as an "impervious superpower" following a "righteous" agenda.

It is more obvious what has happened to to the "world" perception of America.

And this has what to do with the article or what I posted?

I "lol"ed at you saying we'd live in bunkers because of any threats NK or any of the "axis of evil" members have made.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This guy can say pretty much whatever he wants because he knows the US doesn't have the resources or stomach for another Iraq type war. Thats what a war with NK would be.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
When "Washington" speaks these days you can see the lingual fork clear around the world. In the Axis Of Evil versus the Axis Of Lies, no-one wins except war profiteers.

Given "Washington's" prevailing attitude towards doing anything diplomatic through UN channels in the past four years (such as allowing weapons inspections to continue in Iraq rather than pre-ordained invasion in support of the 'regime change' policy) why would taking anything to the UN Security Council be a sequitur to current foreign policy?

This is a dance of death. International relations and the UN no longer matter in it.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Well this isnt good.
Well cant say they didnt have it coming if anything does happen.
I just feel sorry for all the innocent South Koreans and Japanese who will be caught in the crossfire if things do go down. Not to mention the poor brainwashed North Koreans.
Lets all just hope that China steps in and doesnt allow the worst to to happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I just wonder why threads like this one always transforms into a president Bush and Republican bashing.....when clearly the ones making the threats were the NK government officials....

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
North Korea must be having a severe money crisis. I think that's what all of this rhetoric has been about trying to get blackmail money from the US in exchange for peaceful relations and/or an end to NK's nuclear program. If NK actually uses it's nukes, then the US has plenty of nukes to return fire. End of story there.

The people in California might be a bit toasty from a NK nuke but they weren't in favor of a national missile defense anyway. Who knows, maybe a partial missile defense will be enough to save the US and/or Japan if NK gets too hot headed. Are North Korean's so desperate that they are willing to die in an attempt to get a few bucks?

War is expensive. Maybe the US along with the surrounding NK neighbors and NK could compromise. NK could have a blueprint to reform their economy into a successful economy and dismantle it's nuclear weapons and program in exchange for reform assistance. Sounds logical to me. Is NK even considering options similiar to these or are they just itching to have a nuclear war?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Just declare of war already, they will do it sonner or later! Kim is just buying some time... for something... make more nukes?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I just wonder why threads like this one always transforms into a president Bush and Republican bashing.....when clearly the ones making the threats were the NK government officials....

Yeah... sanctions are a friendly gesture. We've been making threats threats to NK for a while now. Bush just isn't man enough to back it up because NK can strike back. Its easier to go after weaker targets like Afghanistan and Iraq. Now we have spread ourselves too thin fighting a war of lies that we are no longer able to do anything about the real threat to the US.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
First off, let me state that I am not a Bush supporter.

In thread such as this, the discussions fairly quickly go to Bush / Republican bashing. Look how long it took for MaskedAvatar to send it this way

If that rather unrelated troika of nations followed Dubya's lead, there would be neither diplomatic solutions nor posturing/grandstanding going on today, and urban Americans would be spending their lives in bomb shelters.

At least twice, in this thread, I see references to the start of these problems as being in 2002. Hate to disillusion you but 2002 is only when North Korea was pressured on nuclear weapons development
Timeline: North Korea nuclear crisis

Speaches such as mentioned by the "un-named foreign ministry spokesman" have been taking place on a regular basis for the last 50 years. Last I heard, Bush has only been in the White House for the past 5.
I was stationed in South Korea between 1985 through 1990 and little sounds bites such as is mentioned by the articles were a daily occurance.
If you are of the belief that North Korea would never initiate an attack, please do a web search on what Kim Il Jong and his son and his goverment have pledged to do. "They WILL Take back South Korea! They WILL see any comment, movement and sneeze in their direction (or not) as an act of war."
I know the above sound crazy, and you know what I agree with you but unfortunately, North Korea, see these statements as being logical and the only course of action
If you are wanting to bash Bush, for the problems in North Korea you will need to do a little bit of homework first, Unless you plan on bashing every US administration for the past 50 years.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

You have voted kenshiro2012 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Thanks for denying ignorance, Kenshiro.

Zip

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wow, we really might be going to war with NK. If sanctions= war then it seems war is what it is going to be. You just cant threaten people like that.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
Just declare of war already, they will do it sonner or later! Kim is just buying some time... for something... make more nukes?

thats whats worrying, no one knows what Kim is up to. He could be planning anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join