It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new government plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
However far fetched this may seem, it clicks in my head. After recently downloading "Black Hawk Down" and viewing it multiple times many lines hit me,
with references leading the viewer "to want to join the army, or fight for the nation" quotes somehwere around the lines as "why do I do this... its not that im a warmonger, its just being next to another person, knwoing someone's got your baack" These lines really touched me, and made me feel if I were to go into service I would recieve this satisfaction, sort of like the relationship with team mates on an athletic team. "Black Hawk down" appears to be the most blatant to me, Im sure there are others that I just have not seen in a while. Does anyone else see this??

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Don't forget "tears of the sun", where a group of special ops guys risk their lives to save a group of africans. They even throw in a peace corps worker, very anti war at the beginning of the film, and by the end she is crying and embracing the heroic soldiers who saved them. What kind, honorable men those soldiers where...right?

The nature of modern media is one of the factors that contributes to the glorification of these conflicts in cinema. People's attention spans have been zapped to practically nothing by that little box sitting in the corner of every room. So attempting to actually explain the cause of these conflicts (economic sanctions / actions of imperial puppet regimes leading to hunger, poverty, and eventually chaos) would have a negative effect at the box office. Have you ever heard someone say "I thought there would be more action, it was just some stupid story about etc. etc." ? Filmmakers don't intend to be propagandists all the time, but I am sure the studios have a list of people that they don't want to piss off. And we are definitely not on that list. Anything not produced by a large studio is not seen in mainstream theaters, plain and simple. Actors and Writers / Directors can cry all they want about the state of the earth right now, but the studios call the shots in the end, things get rewritten, you know, to make it more "uplifting", and the stars and stripes come out shining. We need another "Full metal jacket" right about now.

This could possibly have been an unintended effect of new media, but they sure know that it exists, and they'll use it any way they can. What a lucrative strategy..... get more hits at the box office, more recruits in boot camp, more support for the troops, more fear of the "bad guy", and more glorification of the kill.

www.ict.usc.edu...
"The U.S. Army, in an unprecedented alliance with Hollywood and a major university, is providing funding and technical advice for video games that aim to hone the skills of the next-generation of military field commanders.

The Institute for Creative Technologies, which is jointly operated by the United States Army and the University of Southern California said on Thursday it would develop two combat video games, with financial and tactical backing from the Army. "

memories erased and burned and scarred,
trade in your history for a VCR.
cinema simulated life, ill drama,
fourth reich culture, amerikana.
chained to the dream they got you searching for,
a thin line between entertainment and war.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I don't see a problem with glorifying soldiers in movies. They do put their lives on the line for us.

I wanna know what those games are that Creative is going to be releasing are called. I wanna see if I could be the next great war hero

[edit on 26/4/05 by ArchangelOfCool]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Team America. Dont get me wrong that is a very mixed up satiristic movie made to please Teens and lower humour man but That has a lot of political and racial ideas. Everything is stereotyped, America is never wrong and it turns out being of less intelligence and pig headedness is a good thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In hope everyone understands in no way shape or form am i alluding to anything against the military and its soldiers. Basically i am saying these movies are "moving" me so to want to join the military or embrace it more.

However i dont think im gonna join the military... possibly ill apply to the airforce academy

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
one thing all people should know

you can love the soldier, and hate the war.

If they showed soldiers executing women and children in Vietnam, people watching would say to themselves, "I don't want to do that, I just want to defend my country." And they might have a second thought about joining.

If they knew the motivations of the people in power that actually make decisions on whether to wage war, they might also have second thoughts.

If they knew what people really felt, not the "will of the people" that is presented to us by "experts", "polls", "surveys", and regurgitated onto a Telivision screen, they might not be so motivated to join.

When you only show the good side of anything, that is called a biased perspective. And people should not make life changing decisions that are fueled garbage that the propoganda machine spews out daily.

Information is power, whether its truth, or whether its glorified hate engineered for a specific purpose.

new topics

top topics

join