It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York: In Need of Suggestions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I've been lucky over the years, living in a military family, to make it to nearly every other major city....but come August will be my first trip to New York, New York....

I plan on taking a friend who's father is pretty well off....I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to stay in his reserved "suite" at the UN Plaza
....But I'm saving up for a room in the $150-200/night range in case that falls through

As I understand it, Opera is out....doesn't start back until September....But I do know that I want to see a couple Broadway plays/musicals - Wicked, Hairspray, etc....

My birthday will fall on this trip and I plan on making reservations at Per Se, so I can finally pay homage to my role model in the kitchen, Thomas Keller....

Other than that, I'm free....

I know quite a few of you live in the city, or have visited often....Perhaps I can glean a few tips and tricks....places to go and not to go....

I have quite a bit of time to plan, and I'd love to take all of your suggestions into account - And hey...I'll even buy the first few rounds of drinks if someone wants to meet up with me while I'm there....

[edit on 4/25/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Ill show you around NY EnronOutrunHomerun. You should see the empire state building, statue of lyberty and every other sight.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I lived in NYC for a few (wonderful) months. Now I am back in the midwest...groannn.....

There is plenty to do in NYC.. I was there on a student budget so I usually went for the cheap stuff. I dont know about your interests but since you mentioned Broadway show, here is how you get cheap tickets
www.talkinbroadway.com...

Else there is a TKTS office on Times square where you get same day tickets for half price. ($50-$70)

If you are into museums:
- MET
- Museum of Natural History
- Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)

MET is the biggest and most famous. ($11 or may be just a donation, sorry I forgot the ticket price)

You mentioned you are going there in August. Thats the time for the US open if you are a tennis fan...

If you are a fan of late night TV shows you can get tickets for one of them. ut you need to book them now
- Letterman
www.cbs.com...
- Daily show
www.comedycentral.com...
- Conan www.nbc.com...
- Last Call with Carson Daly
www.nbc.com...

Also, There are many stand-up comedy clubs in midtown. You might get free passes for them walking around times square. Cover charges are usually $15, and they dont serve more than 3 drinks:bash: Hey, I am assuming you are over 21? Also, if you are into clubbing they are dime a dozen. But, I cant help you out there. I was happy with my neighborhood pubs. Whenever, I went midtown or downtown, I just looked up a pub/bar/club/(and you know what)
on
www.citysearch.com
and I was too
to remember their names afterwards

Back to sight-seeing again

There is a Madam Tassauds wax museum near time square ($25). I had a photograph taken with Denzel Washington wax statue and fooled a lot of my friends.

Then there is the "must watch" list of most tourists. Empire State Bldg ($13), Statue of Liberty ($10). Then there is the staten island ferry (free).

Both the Staten Island ferry and Statue of Liberty ferries begin near the battery park area (just for reference). They were going to open the stairs iinside the statue last Sept (they closed it after 9/11). But it requires advance online reservation.

Hmmm... What else....Did I mention Central Park...Good place to be if you are into recreational roller blading, cyclings or just plain walks.... There is a cycling/skating trail right by the hudson river. Goes all the way from Battery park to 125th street (if I am not wrong......never managed to skate all the way through with a hangover

If you want a taste of a whole new world, go to China Town... Its huge....But you might want to learn chinese

Here's some more free stuff to do in the city (Check the links in SUMMER):

Movies at Bryant Park: (Monday Evenings 8 pmish)
www.bryantpark.org...

GMA Concerts at Bryant Park: (Friday Mornings)
www.bryantpark.org...

Central Park summer stage:
www.summerstage.org...

Shakespeare in Central Park at Delacorte Theater
www.publictheater.org...

Then there is the Coney Island (Beach). There is another better beach which I am forgetting.

Travel: Best way to go would be the subway. Take a daily/weekly or 5 ride pass and go through out the city. Train/Bus transfers are free for upto 2 hours for each ticket. Unlike smaller cities you can just flag down cabs, but you might get caught in NYC traffic.

Also, Atlantic city is about 3-4 hrs drive from the city...

That should keep you occupied ........err... how long was your visit

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Some excellent links and suggestions Quake...Thanks! I'll see if I can remember the names of a few bars...chances are they'll be the ones within stumbling distance of my hotel

I might have to take you up on that offer Croat56
....I'll get in touch with you as the time approaches...

I'll only be staying for 3 days, so I'll have to cram in as much as I can while I'm there.....I usually just go to a city without any plans and "freeball it", so to speak....But New York has been on my list for such a long time, and there's a waiting list for nearly everything that's worth doing, so I plan on having most of my sight-seeing finalized into some sort of schedule before I go....

A couple questions...

How far in advance should you book reservations at these upper crust restaurants? I went to opentable.com to try and make reservations at Per Se, but it said I was trying to make them too far in advance....guess that's a good sign....

I may be catching a flight into Newark b/c it's cheaper....but I got to thinking....The quote I got for a flight into JFK was more money, but if I took the ticket flying into Newark, I'd probably spend the difference going to and from the city....Think it's better to spend the extra money on a flight directly into New York? I haven't checked into it yet, but I'm assuming I can take the subway from the airport to a close distance from my hotel.....

I'm glad I can get these questions out now so I don't look like a fool when I get there
....Your advice is much appreciated

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If you fly in to Newark, you can take the NJ transit into N.Y. That will bring you into Penn Station: www.njtransit.com...

I suggest stopping by a local bookstore and buying a couple of maps, unless you are meeting up with someone who knows the city. I used to talk to a couple of girls from NY, and I can tell ya it's a world of difference with someone who knows the city. They make it seem easy jumping from subway, to bus and back again. The place is huge, and its easy to lose your bearing. Make sure you have a subway and street map. I know when I go with my friends, who don't really know the city well either, I'm checking the maps constantly!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I may be catching a flight into Newark b/c it's cheaper....but I got to thinking....The quote I got for a flight into JFK was more money, but if I took the ticket flying into Newark, I'd probably spend the difference going to and from the city....Think it's better to spend the extra money on a flight directly into New York? I haven't checked into it yet, but I'm assuming I can take the subway from the airport to a close distance from my hotel.....

I'm glad I can get these questions out now so I don't look like a fool when I get there
....Your advice is much appreciated

If UN plaza is anywhere near the UN office, I assume you would be living in midtown Manhattan.

You can take the airtrain ($5) from the Newark airport to Newark Liberty International Airport Rail Link station. You can then take the NJ Transit or Amtrak to the Penn station ($11-$13).

You might look into flights to LGA. Thats the nearest airport to the city and handles only domestic flights. A bus M-60 goes every 30 min ( depends on the time) into the city. Cabs cost $35 + toll anywhere into Manhattan (2004 prices)

JFK: Take the airtrain to Jamaica station (I hope I am right on this.., better confirm it) and then take the subway into Manhattan
Cabs cost $45 + toll (again 2004 prices)

As DiabolusFireDragon said get a map (especially the subway one, if you plan to move aout that way). It helps a lot. And in my opinionNYC directions are much easier to understand than other cities in US

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
$45 + tolls....That's just crazy....lol

Yeah - Maps are a must! Good suggestion...I went to London a few summers ago and screwed it all up....I took a gypsy cab from the airport to the hotel that cost me around $125 and didn't figure out the pure genious of the Underground until it was near time for me to leave.....

I've used the Metro in DC quite often though, so if the New York subway is similar, I think I'll be able to manage....

Those tips for getting to and from the airport will really really help me out though! Thanks!

[edit on 4/26/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
$45 + tolls....That's just crazy....lol

heh heh...yup sounds crazy....But its NOT $45 + tips........... its $45 + toll + tips

And it definately seems much cheaper than London

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hey EnronOutrunHomerun Ill take you to mets game. The way theyve been playin lately youll have the best time of your life

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
That would be awesome man...But it looks like they'll be playing an away game while I'm there...Aug 12-15....says they'll be playing the LA Dodgers...

The Yankees will be playing the Texas Rangers during that time though...I'm not too sure what the possibilites are of getting a ticket to that are though, or how many arms and legs I'd have to sell to get one

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ah--the elusive Per Se reservations. There are only 16 tables (not all available to the public) and you can only make reservations two months in advance.... if you can get through (212.823.9335 -- 10 am to 9 pm.) Opentable.com only has one table available and that gets booked exactly a month ahead of time.

I've been trying to get reservations since it opened to no avail--and I live in NYC! I have heard that it's better than French Laundry--but that is hard to imagine. It's been almost two years since I ate there and I still remember it like it was yesterday....

If you can't get into Per Se and are still looking for somewhere special to celebrate your birthday, Bouley is amazing & my favorite. Alain Ducasse, Chanterelle, & Le Bernadin are all a pretty close second. Asiate just opened last year and is also outstanding--plus the view is spectacular. If you like Italian, Scalini Fedeli is one of the best places in the city--and not touristy. I went there on my birthday last year and it really was a special occasion.

Also, Lupa (Mario Batali) is outstanding--and extremely reasonable. They don't take reservations, so you may have to wait a bit, but its worth it... and you won't drop a few hundred dollars.

BTW, Yankees/Rangers tickets are still available online at www.ticketmaster.com.

The absolute best way to get out to Yankee stadium from Manhattan is to take the 4 train directly to the stadium (161st Street.) It runs express and will take about 30 minutes--and it will be crowded with lots of fans, so safety isn't an issue. If you are staying at the U.N., just walk a few blocks over to 42nd & Lex (Grand Central Station), where you can catch the 4.

And if you are going to see a show, I just saw Avenue Q yesterday and it was really smart & funny (like an adult Sesame Street.)

As far as flights go, a cab from Newark to the U.N. Plaza will be about $80, while a cab from LaGuardia is about $30, and JFK is about $45 (all incl tip.) You might want to look into the buses that run from all three airports to Grand Central Station--but it might cost you almost as much as a cab, and then you won't have to walk a few blocks to your hotel, which can be a nightmare if it is hot or raining and you have bags to carry.

Also, you might want to make sure about your hotel. Hotel prices have been crazy in the city. If the UN Plaza doesn't work out, try Priceline. Sometimes the smaller hotels can be pretty reasonable--I have heard good things about the Library, the Roger Williams, and the W (on 50th & Lex, 39th & Lex or Union Square.)

Hope this helps... If you have any more ?'s--just ask....

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Some great advice lmgnyc - I especially appreciate the info regarding the restaurants.....It's been hell trying to figure out the situation at Per Se....But that provides a great deal of insight! I've heard the same regarding Per Se, and can't believe it....It must be a truly incredible experience to get a chance to dine there....Much less at French Laundry - I can't imagine - That's been by dream for many years now.....
Thomas Keller is a God.....

Your advice will assist me a great deal though, and I just wanted to thank you for all the help

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Maybe we should have a New York City meetup at this time, even if it's just a few drinks in a cool bar.

I'm open to it since I live here

If we're lucky we could even get our
SkepticOverlord to come

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
That sounds like a great idea!

I'm all down for a night on the town with the New York ATS crew! I think we’d have to use force to drag SO away from his computer though…

There's a chance I may need to bump my trip up to September...Apart from August being one of the busiest months in New York, I've also recently learned I'm going to be busy traveling for work July and August....

I'll update with the dates once I've got all my ducks in a row

[edit on 6/3/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
well i'll be in NY from June 15th to the 29th...I plan on taking the kids to as many museums, parks and tourist attractions as possible. Even though I've done all these things when I use to live there, my poor kids never experienced the real NY, so this trip is going to be an educational one for them.

BTW, I'm trying to get tickets to Beauty & Beast or The Lion King, but ticketmaster doesn't have them. Any know the situation and if I can buy them same day from one of those ticket kiosk things???
If not, is there any children appropriate off/on broadway shows???

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
well i'll be in NY from June 15th to the 29th...I plan on taking the kids to as many museums, parks and tourist attractions as possible. Even though I've done all these things when I use to live there, my poor kids never experienced the real NY, so this trip is going to be an educational one for them.

BTW, I'm trying to get tickets to Beauty & Beast or The Lion King, but ticketmaster doesn't have them. Any know the situation and if I can buy them same day from one of those ticket kiosk things???
If not, is there any children appropriate off/on broadway shows???

You can try the TKTS ticket booth for discount tickets for same-day performances. There is one on 47th & Broadway (Times Square) and another downtown at the Seaport (Front & John Sts.) For hours & more info see www.tdf.org...# Note that they only take cash or travelers checks and not all shows are available every day.

Also, some shows also offer same day rush tickets for $10 each. You should call the theater directly and ask if they do and if so, what time the box office opens. Plan to get to the box office early because you will wait in line and rush tickets are first come-first served.

Beauty & the Beast and The Lion King are the best for kids, but Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang is another kids-friendly musical that is currently open. Off broadway is a bit tough--I don't know of any shows off hand that would be appropriate.

Hope this helps!

top topics

join