It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Human Liver Genes Put into Rice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Canibalism...I'm gonna be sick.

I think I'm going to make sure whether my food is GM or not from now on.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
Canibalism...I'm gonna be sick.

I think I'm going to make sure whether my food is GM or not from now on.

WHY though? I don't understand what's so disturbing about eating another person, or about eating food with human genes in it. Meat is meat, if it tastes good and isn't strife with disease, then who cares?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
For the "cannibal" claims..people, it's ONE gene. Do you know how many genes are in the human body? All life on this planet shares some suprisingly large percentage of common genes, like, well over 50% I believe it was (if someone can find out let me know), but I don't see anyone crying cannibal when you eat an apple, or slice the bum off a cow and eat that.

Birds crap on wheat, pee on it, mice die & rot in the wheatfields next to the stalks of wheat, why aren't you crying out how horrible it is to eat wheat that's been crapped on? What if farmer john didn't wipe his hands after shovelling some cow manure, now you've got cow dung on your wheat as well.

GM has its place, we just need to be carefull how we use it and not go too overboard.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Good find Flyers....
I would rather eat an apple with a worm in it, then eat something that has been genetically modified for '''YEH right'' ....our own good ...say's who?
Instead of diseases being eradicated they are multiplying to an extreme....
Where does it stop?
It doesn't!

Yes, if a food is in it's natural state then it can do no harm..... all this genetically modified foods out there are the main cause of people getting sick with all these new diseases out there..... God created the earth and since man began to receive all knowledge good and bad after the fall man has never been content with anything........we shall reap our reward in the end ...for what we sow we shall reap........
here is a verse from the Bible.......
Quote// Christ replied to Satan saying:''Man shall not live by bread alone,but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God'''(Matt4:4).
We become slaves to pleasing the Flesh while forgetting God ...
The Gospel censures attempts at pleasing the flesh while forgetting God completely......

helen

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Yes, if a food is in it's natural state then it can do no harm..... all this genetically modified foods out there are the main cause of people getting sick with all these new diseases out there

Well, food in it's natural state isn't food, you have to alter everything (whether it's killing it or cooking it or whatever) in order to eat it. Genetically altered food could just mean food that doesn't require pesticides to prevent pests. That would certainly be healthier, no? Genetically modded foods aren't nearly as widespread as they should/I would hope. If you wanna blame 'new diseases' on something, blame unhealthy lifestyles, unsafe sex, longer lifespans, and more contact with other peoples.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
...I don't understand what's so disturbing about eating another person...

While I'll agree that meat is meat, regardless of whether it once walked and talked or it did nothing but moooo....

But still - I don't think the answer to that question is as unobtainable as you've made it out to be...

As an aside, like others have mentioned...one human gene incorporated into a species of plant is not cannibalism.....it's humans playing with things they probably shouldn't - But who's to know, maybe it will be for the better....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
But still - I don't think the answer to that question is as unobtainable as you've made it out to be...

Hmm? I don't think the answer is unobtainable, I'd just like to obtain one. I've yet to hear a good reason why it's so terrible, and I'd like to. "It just is!" doesn't cut it for me.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hunting Veritas
Scientists are going to genetically modifiy rice to help the human digestive system breakdown the compounds of chemicals they put in the food in the first place???!!

Here's an idea, Stop f**king with our food. SIMPLE!
Sorry to be blunt but its true.

EXACTLY. I'm thinking, "Oh, so this is so they can digest PESTICIDES? Brilliant!"

Anyways, are human livers the only animal livers that can digest pesticides? Why can't we use cow or pig or chicken genes or something? ...

Zip

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Hmm? I don't think the answer is unobtainable, I'd just like to obtain one. I've yet to hear a good reason why it's so terrible, and I'd like to. "It just is!" doesn't cut it for me.

Well - Cannibalism has been a part of our culture for so long now that it has even become something that slips by the average person....

Few stop to realize that performing the Eucharist is a form of symbolic cannibalism....

There are certain definitions of the act wherein cannibalism is an intrinsic ritual of the indigenous people of a particular area, and other cases where it's a bizarre fetish that is of a pathological nature....The first such example holds its weight as being an understandable/permissible practice (to some), while the latter is seen as more of a pattern of irregular psychotic behavior....

I sort of tack the approach that if group A lives in the Amazon and eats people of their own tribe for their own reasons, whatever they may be....Let them go on and do their own thing, so long as they pose no threat to society around them...

But if there's a group of people out there who live in a civilized society, are not starved or absent from other sources of available proteins, and are actively seeking out people to consume, regardless of the victim's desires, these people can be helped....

So I guess the primary issue here is barbarity....Most people can agree that some things are more barbaric than others, even though we may not agree on the actual meaning of the word "barbaric"....It's a word that can't really be applied cross-culturally, b/c again, what about group A in the Amazon....Do you really think the term "barbaric" can be appropriately used to describe a tribe level society while we ourselves are "above" that? But the question becomes, how do we truly determine who and what we are "above" and why do we feel the need to do this? And that's where the anthropological attempt to answer that question fails.....

So....I guess it just comes down to the personal opinions of the majority - If enough people see cannibalism in a negative light...as something "uncivil"....Then it is so...

Maybe that helps to provide some light on your question

It's a touchy subject to delve into....and a difficult point to “prove” to anyone once all the facts are laid out on the table….

[edit on 4/27/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Gene replacement therapy...let's all just blindly let the government alter our DNA in any way they choose. Why do you think children are "developing" as rapidly as they do today? We all know it's in the milk; it's the hormones the cows are given. If this is true, what other hormones and what-not are given to other animals for "beneficial" purposes?

...and now our fruits, grains, and vegetables too...

*quietly steps off of his soapbox*

[edit on 27-4-2005 by BadMojo]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Let me guess, the brand name is "Soylent Green"

A Nostradamus quatrain is coming to mind....something about man becoming maneater.....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
Now if we can add a heart, some lungs, and a brain, then Condoleezza might actually become a real boy.

That right there, that was me bringing the funny.

I just voted you for Way Above. LOL

Seriously, though, the food chain is already contaminated beyond recognition. Various antibiotics, growth hormones, and other crap in animal products. Mercury in fish. Pesticides in produce. God knows what else in soft drinks. Excessive sugar in cereals.

I don't think that new rice is all that harmul compared to other things already being consumed. Heck, the Beano tablets already contain an enzyme. What's the big deal.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I suppose a case could be made for the "if you don't like it, grow your own!" idea...

We've been developing stronger, more resilient, and better crops since the beginning of agriculture by replanting the best seeds of the best crops. While some may argue that this is just an extension of that, I must say that I prefer the natural continuation to the artificial.

Zip

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Enron, I may not agree at all with that, but thank you. That's the first time anyone has put the reasons intelligently.

I can now see EXACTLY why I'm right.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I mean, shouldn't they put liver DNA in the onions instead?

How about ham DNA in my eggs?

I predict, that in the future, all Western food will consist entirely of an orange gooey mush that smells faintly of sweaty feet, and tastes like phlegm.

But it will enhance your body's natural steriod-producing glands.

How come, every form of "progress" makes life a little easier even as it destroys the savor of it?

Food is cheaper in the USA than practically anywhere else. It also tastes like it was all deep-fried in the same batch of chemically enhanced grease.

It's why I garden, and why the freezer has deer and quail, instead of TV dinners.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
I predict, that in the future, all Western food will consist entirely of an orange gooey mush that smells faintly of sweaty feet, and tastes like phlegm.

How come, every form of "progress" makes life a little easier even as it destroys the savor of it?

Food is cheaper in the USA than practically anywhere else. It also tastes like it was all deep-fried in the same batch of chemically enhanced grease.

Hey! I like that batch of grease! And I'll have you know I've got not one, not two, but three rabbits in my freezer, and the better portion of a lamb.

If anything, I think genetic modification would help our food taste better. We wouldn't have to worry about pesticides, rotting food, and we could induce a flavor in things (Something doesn't taste like chicken?! I'LL fix that!)

You won't get a mush because the texture, weight, and density of a food is a VERY important experience. I'd never eat a steak in mush form, I'd miss out on the steak experience.

There's more to flavor than taste. A LOT more.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Well hey if my geneteically modified food keeps me better defended against polutants and disease, hey more power to me. You people that sit aroudn and worry can worry all you want. If yall start dieing because of a disease that the GM food has prevented in me, dont call me a colaborator. I was just smart enough to eat something I knew was good for my health when other were scared.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Take a peek at this article regarding the HARMFUL contamination of various GM crops around the globe...
www.raidersnewsupdate.com...

And here's a link to a website devoted to bringing this information public...
www.genewatch.org...
Good info...good site...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Mankind has got along JES' FINE for millions of years without needing to GM our crops. Why start in 1996?

Cases of illegal releases of GM organisms and damaging side-effects such as the development of super-weeds are also included.

Super-weeds, eh? Soon we're gonna grow super-weeds that WALK!!! They will group together to ATTACK PEOPLE!

Zip

top topics

<< 1   >>

join