It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Human Liver Genes Put into Rice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The rice that the people in Japan will be eatting, will contain
human liver genes. Eventually this practice could spread
around the world depending on how 'well' the human liver
genes do the job that the food engineers want it to do.

news.independent.co.uk

GM industry puts human gene into rice
By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
24 April 2005

Scientists have begun putting genes from human beings into food crops in a dramatic extension of genetic modification. The move, which is causing disgust and revulsion among critics, is bound to strengthen accusations that GM technology is creating "Frankenstein foods" and drive the controversy surrounding it to new heights.

Environmentalists say that no one will want to eat the partially human-derived food because it will smack of cannibalism.

But supporters say that the controversial new departure presents no ethical problems and could bring environmental benefits.

In the first modification of its kind, Japanese researchers have inserted a gene from the human liver into rice to enable it to digest pesticides and industrial chemicals. The gene makes an enzyme, code-named CPY2B6, which is particularly good at breaking down harmful chemicals in the body.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Food engineering has entered the frankenstein phase.
Even if this new hybrid works well the 'yuk' factor will be
too high for people in the western world to accept it.
Perhaps those in third world countries will eat the food
but my thought is that if those in the west know they
are eatting human liver genes in their rice .. they won't
eat it. I certainly wouldn't.

[edit on 4/25/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm calling the First Titor!

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Hey, if it's good for ya eat it

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Interesting......I'll bet that engineering of our food has been going on for awhile though.....wonder why this one has been made public?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Now if we can add a heart, some lungs, and a brain, then Condoleezza might actually become a real boy.

That right there, that was me bringing the funny.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Now if we can add a heart, some lungs, and a brain, then Condoleezza might actually become a real boy.

I'm amazed at the way liberals who are so enlightened can take a simple science story and turn it into a racist sexist attack on one the most powerful women in American history.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I second that djohn.....Condi has nothing to do with this story.......I'm intgerested in what else the industry has been using to alter our food......the liver gene in rice(just got the pun...*groan*) is said to help the rice be more self-sufficient in the growth process, but what about the effect on human physiology?

Fluoride is an alteration imposed upon the water supply...good or bad......with the potential for genetics virtually limitless, what subtleties may be used in the future?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I'm amazed at the way liberals who are so enlightened can take a simple science story and turn it into a racist sexist attack on one the most powerful women in American history.

Well, when I first saw the title, I thought it was about Condi, too

Oh, also, DJ, remember, it's not racism if a liberal is saying it, only if a conservative says the same thing.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Seriously, DJ, does it hurt being that humorless? I mean, do you guys have to go to special classes or something? Botox in the cheeks to prevent the humor glands from secreting?

And the race card, man, you guys are just ITCHING to bust that one out. Between you and junglejake, yikes. Put you guys in a sitcom, and we get a staring competition. The reaching for top shelf motives over a cheese cabinet joke would pretty desperate, if it weren't so based in insecurity and latent paranoia.

To clarify, there was nothing racist or sexist, or even overtly political about what I said. It was a Pinocchio pun based on the the title of the thread, which I think most people probably thought the first time they read the line.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Putting genes from human beings into food crops for human food is disgusting. Whoever got this brilliant idea should be taken out and shot.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Scientists are going to genetically modifiy rice to help the human digestive system breakdown the compounds of chemicals they put in the food in the first place???!!

Here's an idea, Stop f**king with our food. SIMPLE!

Sorry to be blunt but its true.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I'm just amazed an attack from an enlightened liberal sexist racist scientist could be so funny.

edit/ and who called the first Titor?

[edit on 4/25/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

edit/ and who called the first Titor?

Ayuh. I called it first.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is great. I've been waiting for ages for genetic engineering to DO something. The fears of problems are overrated. Genetic engineering for food will only be used when it works, and believe me, it's a much better idea to have rice that provides more nutrition and plants that don't need pesticides than to work around these issues. I look forward to seeing these products on the market ASAP.

For those who say it's disgusting, and is a terrible idea, why? What's so disturbing about? I never did understand.

shots: you look like you'd be the man to do it...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Aahhh...the GM Industry.

They're a complete bunch of idiots.

I'd be interested to know if any of these GM scientists have done multi-generational tests regarding mutations? Are the all-important proteins also transferred as well when they're doing DNA splicing? Nup!

I recall a meeting held by a number of GM scientists - you know, the really smart ones who make decisions about if these GM modifications are safe or not...

They were talking about a new product - targeted at people who need their blood thinning due to some previous heart problem. They were expounding the benefits of splicing a type of non-coagulent gene into a crop (I think it was canola) so people with heart problems will no longer have to take aspirin. The food would help thin the blood and they would live longer lives etc. They were very keen on doing this...and they were very very excited.

Then a really tough question was asked by, for anonamility reasons, we'll call him "John":

"What if the wildlife, ie an eagle, were to eat this and their blood became very thin. Wouldn't the eagle die if injured for lack of proper coagulation of the blood - what about other animals eating the crop".

The answer:

"Oh, we never thought of that!"

HUH???

...and we have these kind of people making these decisions...

Bit of a worry isn't it

And I'm sure you've hearn of that scientist who worked for a GM company (Monsanto I think). He was working on GM tomatoes and found they promoted cancer. He went to the world and then was sacked. Now he's black-banned from the GM Industry.

Real nice bunch of people this "GM Industry".

As far as I'm concerned, they're a mob of wackers!

If anything needs targeting, they're the ones!

What a f**king joke!

Cheers

JS

[edit on 25-4-2005 by jumpspace]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
i wonder is this cross contamination.humans eating humans dna.i think this is gonna turn into another mad cow problem.except this time it will be us that we will be mad.does this break some international food laws.last time i looked im sure it does.people of japan should stop this idea.just imagine if you got a splice of food with hiv or something more deadly from some liver dna in the food chain.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The calls of cannablism is kind of off the deep end. Check the genes of the rice... it already shares MANY genes with humans. Adding one or two more are not going to produce humans, nor anything like a human. There are many foods that we eat that share far more genes with humans than rice. If we would let science continue then it wouldn't be long until your food increases your ability to fight off disease etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I wouldn't trust these turds to pop my popcorn, much less to modify it's genetic structure. Take a real good close look at who is behind these foods, then tell me they are only interested in some greater good.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
might get a heart soon?

we're off the see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of...

OUT! OUT! DAMNED CHIMP-MAN CREATURES!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel
might get a heart soon?

we're off the see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of...

OUT! OUT! DAMNED CHIMP-MAN CREATURES!

You're trampling on my joke there, fella.

Pinnochio reference > Wizard of Oz reference

top topics

<<   2 >>

join