It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intellectual's Wanted

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Seekerof im not on about intelligence, im just talking generally.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Mensa tests are actually very easy for people trained and practised in the tests, and aren't really an accurate measure of much at all.

This is extremely true. As a hobby, I do puzzles, etc. similar to that on these IQ tests. Because of this, I routinely score insanely high on these (I'd tell you, but you'd think I was a liar). Suffice to say, I know I'm not THAT smart. I consider myself intelligent, but I'm no Doogie Howser....or genius....

I should point out, that most of the time, most of us don't slam grammar mistakes (as many of our posters use English as a second language). However, if you are trying to recruit "intellectuals"...use the edit function, as when you have like 4 mispellings in the first sentence alone...it doesn't help much....
There is no need for such recruitment though, as your purpose is the general purpose of this entire board....

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Im not actual trying to recruit smart people, just want to have a gathering to share idea's and theories etc, I think everyone should check out my propultion poll in the sci and tech area. Also i dont particulary beleive that grammar and minor spelling errors really matter on the internet, its not like were writing a thesis.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Mensa tests are actually very easy for people trained and practised in the tests, and aren't really an accurate measure of much at all.

This is extremely true. As a hobby, I do puzzles, etc. similar to that on these IQ tests. Because of this, I routinely score insanely high on these (I'd tell you, but you'd think I was a liar). Suffice to say, I know I'm not THAT smart. I consider myself intelligent, but I'm no Doogie Howser....or genius....

I should point out, that most of the time, most of us don't slam grammar mistakes (as many of our posters use English as a second language). However, if you are trying to recruit "intellectuals"...use the edit function, as when you have like 4 mispellings in the first sentence alone...it doesn't help much....
There is no need for such recruitment though, as your purpose is the general purpose of this entire board....

I used to do those too gazrok, when i sat my mensa test i got a 164...that was aged 10.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by resentedhalo
Im not actual trying to recruit smart people, just want to have a gathering to share idea's and theories etc, I think everyone should check out my propultion poll in the sci and tech area. Also i dont particulary beleive that grammar and minor spelling errors really matter on the internet, its not like were writing a thesis.

I hated grammar in school and did not score well on those test on grammar.....I have since learned that reasonably well done grammar is much easier for all to read on the internet. Including those, who Garzok pointed out, use English as a second language.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
as a first post (or close to it), and considering the subject...it was more important than it would otherwise be. Just friendly advice, not criticism...

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Ok I sort of see both of your points now.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by David

Originally posted by Gazrok

I used to do those too gazrok, when i sat my mensa test i got a 164...that was aged 10.

=========================================

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

164 that is way up there brother! And to think I had the audacity to feel proud of mine. Excuse Me.

tut tut

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Speaking of intellectuals wanted. Why are all of todays posts indicating the date to be 07/24 my computer indicates 07/28 and I no longer own a calendar as I have come to rely on the technology at hand to a certain extent. Any volunteers who would like to verify the date and year for me.

thank you

tut tut

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Congratulations!
Your general IQ score is 165.

A person whose IQ score falls in the range of 161 and above is considered to be a "genius".

An IQ is a composite of your scores across 12 distinct types of intelligence. For example, in this test, your pattern recognition score is 100. For a full analysis of your score in this area and 11 others, order your detailed intelligence report, which will be calculated and made available immediately for only �9.99.

Just down online at yahoo site - This proves how useless IQ tests are or I am a lot more intelligent than I thought.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
johnb

No, it proves how useless those online tests pretending to be IQ tests are, and how gullible you would be to pay out the funds requested in order to secure your certified results.

You did not do an IQ test.

Do an accredited test under supervised conditions to see if you can match the genius level you just got.

Those ones have problems with bias and culture fairness, but they do not have the problems with validity (nil in the one you did) or reliability (you could do the same test now and get a different result, because it's not reliable ... you can cheat).

Not discrediting your result, only the significance you attribute to it and the remark you make when you extend it to proper testing.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 06:17 AM
link   
OK agreed this was not a full IQ test and I did not send �9.99 to get a fuller reading.

However what is intelligence

Oxford Paperback Dictionary
intelligence
/n"teld()ns/ noun 1 intellect; quickness of understanding. 2 collecting of information, esp. secretly for military or political purposes. 3 people employed in this. 4 information collected. intelligence quotient number denoting ratio of person's intelligence to the average.

�1ability, acumen, alertness, astuteness, brainpower, brains, brightness, brilliance, capacity, cleverness, discernment, genius, colloquial grey matter, insight, intellect, judgement, keenness, mind, colloquial nous, perceptiveness, perspicaciousness, perspicacity, quickness, reason, sagacity, sense, sharpness, shrewdness, understanding, wisdom, wit, wits. 2,3espionage, secret service, spying. 4data, facts, information, knowledge, colloquial low-down, news, notification, report, warning.

Surely an IQ test does not actually test all of the above and is just an indication of certain types of intelligence.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 06:26 AM
link   
johnb

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying earlier.

Each good test will tell you exactly what it's measuring, and it will have been validated on tens of thousands of people, and had a number of things removed or added to make it culture fair.

There is actually nothing wrong with the way the yahoo test you did breaks up its categories, but it wouldn't go deep enough or set uniform standards. Look forward to three hours of boredom or excitement when you sit a test with Mensa or the even more exclusive elitist mobs.

Intelligence in the outback of Australia is the ability to survive with no clothes in 50 degree (130 F) heat without food or water, recognise symbols and animal tracks of different kinds and get from A to B (say 200 miles walk) in the best planned fashion. Not too many Harvard graduates or geniuses rate well on that IQ test.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Each good test will tell you exactly what it's measuring

You've hit the nail right on the head with that one....

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnb
OK agreed this was not a full IQ test and I did not send �9.99 to get a fuller reading.

However what is intelligence

Oxford Paperback Dictionary
intelligence
/n"teld()ns/ noun 1 intellect; quickness of understanding. 2 collecting of information, esp. secretly for military or political purposes. 3 people employed in this. 4 information collected. intelligence quotient number denoting ratio of person's intelligence to the average.

�1ability, acumen, alertness, astuteness, brainpower, brains, brightness, brilliance, capacity, cleverness, discernment, genius, colloquial grey matter, insight, intellect, judgement, keenness, mind, colloquial nous, perceptiveness, perspicaciousness, perspicacity, quickness, reason, sagacity, sense, sharpness, shrewdness, understanding, wisdom, wit, wits. 2,3espionage, secret service, spying. 4data, facts, information, knowledge, colloquial low-down, news, notification, report, warning.

Surely an IQ test does not actually test all of the above and is just an indication of certain types of intelligence.

========================================

The Abridged Tut Paperback Book of Knowledge

intelligence is the ability to recognize it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join