It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new German tank gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
fprado.com...

people have talked about the Challenger 2's gun or the 140 mm and which one is superior so i decided to include dis baby.

how about that new L55, the longer gun can help increase in velocity to extend the range as well as increase the penetration. Abrams should have those, not right now thought since the situation right now does not call for it.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This might be a good upgrade to the Abrams but then again considering the downright hostile and abusive tone adopted by more than a few Americans regarding the Germans I'd be surprised if Germany were going to be too keen on this.

If nothing else the German public are unlikely to be especially enthusiastic about arming the US further when so many in the US have been so crassly antagonistic towards them.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
This might be a good upgrade to the Abrams but then again considering the downright hostile and abusive tone adopted by more than a few Americans regarding the Germans I'd be surprised if Germany were going to be too keen on this.

If nothing else the German public are unlikely to be especially enthusiastic about arming the US further when so many in the US have been so crassly antagonistic towards them.

What a load of bull LOL. It won't make one bit of difference.
The German only really sell the production rights to the Americans, the US produces them in their own arsenals.

[edit on 25-4-2005 by rogue1]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
What a load of bull LOL. It won't make one bit of difference.

- I'd suggest it is this very cavalier denial about the value and importance of relationships abroad that is part of the problem.
It isn't "bull" and it does make a difference.......and if I were American I wouldn't find it so funny either.

(It appears the message of Bushs' last trip to Europe hasn't filtered through yet.
Even he and his admin are waking up to the fact that the USA needs European support)

The German only really sell the production rights to the Americans, the US produces them in their own arsenals.

- ......and if, given the vocal public tenor towards Germany following their exercising their right and free choice not to become involved in the Iraqi war, it is politically unacceptable in Germany for such 'rights' to be OK'd by their administration?

The phrase 'cutting one nose off to spite ones face' springs to mind.

(Not that the wider implications of a more militaristic and active Germany seems to have dawned on the selfish desires of some of those in the USA at all.
Expediant and short-sighted politics strikes yet again.
Nevermind if it causes huge upset in Europe - a 'spin-off' some Americans might actually have hoped for in their anti-EU dreams? - right?)

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

as posted by sminkeypinkey

First off sminkeypinkey, we are not in the war on terrorism forum or politics forums. There is a difference here. You can argue this but bear it in mind also.

Secondly, US and German relations have been on the mend, more so than with France.
An example of such is specifically in the military technologies, etc. fields:
Germany set to join U.S.-led missile project

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by sminkeypinkey

First off sminkeypinkey, we are not in the war on terrorism forum or politics forums. There is a difference here. You can argue this but bear it in mind also.

Secondly, US and German relations have been on the mend, more so than with France.
An example of such is specifically in the military technologies, etc. fields:
Germany set to join U.S.-led missile project

seekerof

well... they are more enthusiastic on developing together with others weapons, we couldnt develop alone, and need, than to give away german know how for really low prices....

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
From what I was told , the L55 gun was tested on the ABrams but they couldn't get it to work without total overhauling the turret. Something about poor accuracy from vibrations or something like that.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The tanks just keep getting bigger and bigger....

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
germany uses L55 for some years now...

not really new

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The L55 is possibly going to find its way onto the Challenger 2 very soon.

Challenger 2 is equipped with an L30, 120mm rifled tank gun from BAE Systems Land Systems (formerly RO Defence). In January 2004, Land Systems was awarded a contract to develop a new smoothbore 120mm gun for the British Army Challenger tanks. Rheinmetall of Germany will provide examples of the L55 smoothbore gun fitted on the Leopard 2A6 for the programme. A technical demonstrator will be produced by 2006.

Challenger 2

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Such a pity the Germans have departed from their usually high standard of tank design and adopted a more 'American' look.

By that, I mean the forward shape to the turret. It looks like something I saw on a Recognition Instructor's Course at Larkhill School of Artillery on SPTA and was reputed to be the shape of the new General Dynamic's all plastic tank.

My gripe about the 'new' look Leopard is simply that apart from the main armament and side (rear) mounted smoke dischargers, and the 'wavy' side armour, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a Tiger I.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

My gripe about the 'new' look Leopard is simply that apart from the main armament and side (rear) mounted smoke dischargers, and the 'wavy' side armour, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a Tiger I.

I dont get that comparsion

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

By that, I mean the forward shape to the turret. It looks like something I saw on a Recognition Instructor's Course at Larkhill School of Artillery on SPTA and was reputed to be the shape of the new General Dynamic's all plastic tank.

was this really as long ago as we have that forward shape?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The shape angle of the 'wedge' spaced armor is essential to yaw and disrupt the incoming APFSDS rod, before it strikes the main monolithic front turret armor block.

It does the same thing as the Russian heavy ERA.

new topics

top topics

join