Amen; where did it come from

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The word Amen, used in the bible by jesus, in a sense that could be interpereted
many ways. What does it mean? I have looked up the meaning of the word and it does not explain alot.... said to be derived from the hebrew verb aman; meaning to confirm or to strengthen. Or said to be used in the New Testament simply as a form of affirmation.. again to confirm, the speakers thought. And can be just used as a conclusion to a statement, sentence, thought.....

now here is what confuses me... Amen used by jesus in Matt 16:28 Amen I say to you, there are some.... or Matt 17:20 Amen,I say to you, if you have the faith the size of a mustard seed, you wiil say to this mountain, move from here to there.......or John 5:19, 5;24 and on. So many times jesus uses this word, and it seems he always states "I say to you" after it why? well that is a question that can be asked over and over again. I just think it is kinda funny how a word which resembles the name of an egyptian god, one who is hidden, seen to be the creator of creation, is being used by jesus. Is jesus trying to converse with this god or is he just using this word (which is spelled like the egyptian) like the hebrew word aman and if so why is it not spelled this way. I dont know the answer but I do think it has more than just a coincidence that this word is used. Amen-ra was once the most widely worshipped Egyprtian god, who was still known in the day of jesus. So why would jesus even use a word that would resemble this gods name.... maybe just maybe there is more than we see.

It seems jesus is talking to someone else, something spiritual when he makes these statements using amen.... what do you think? Is there more than meets the eye or am I just crazy.......... Well I am not crazy because to me all religions are just a hoax made up by man. But you gotto say that it is interesting how amen is used in the bible by jesus. Just take a look and have a open mind because everything could be different than you see.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It is Hebrew word meaning: truly; it is so; let it be done, signifying agreement with what has been said. The prayers of the New Testament and of the Church's liturgy, and the Creeds, conclude with amen. Jesus used the word to introduce solemn assertions, to emphasize their trustworthiness and authority.

That is why often when you read Jesus saying "I tell you the truth" the orginal words are "Amen Amen" as a double affermation of what he is about to say

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The way you describe it is just what it means. It is basically a confirmation of truth - a word used in a context a long time ago and still today.

Think of it as similar to a word or phrase in our modern lexicon; 'Word' or 'Word Up'. In this connotation, two people use it to confirm something in agreement, just as you could say, 'Amen Brother'.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ah.

'Tis true.

So mote it be.

join