It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1938 "War Of The Worlds" radio show by Orsen Welles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
We all talk about ufo's,roswell,reptilians but does anyone have the newspaper article a day after the infamous 1938 war of the worlds radio show and did anyone record that radio show,the tv news and the transcript?.
I believe it was a govt plan to see how did the public reacted.
ps:i got the transcript members.aol.com...

[edit on 25-4-2005 by warthog911]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Google is your friend here (as in manycases, of course)

Have a look at this abd simply try Googling "orson wells war of the worlds"... there are lot's of links there!!

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If you ever get the chance, pick up the play as it aired, on tape/cd, etc. and just listen to it, imagining what it would have been like when radio was your tv, etc. And you'll see how easily people were fooled. It's quite illuminating...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The wierd thing that i found out that there really was an alien invasion and a U.F.O crash near new jersey but the govt covered it up.
here is the article:

"On October 30th, 1938, the United States experienced mass hysteria--most pronounced on the east coast in New York and New Jersey--in response to a radio broadcast put on by Orson Welles and his Mercury Theater On The Air. The public reaction has prompted decades of research into mass hysteria, been used as a model by the military around the world to design information warfare against enemy troops and civilian populace, and used as the most compelling reason to protect the public from the knowledge of the presence of aliens on Earth.

General Wilson has been conducting an alien white paper. It took him a little while, but he managed to pluck a file out of the morass of red tape over at the Pentagon, and this file reveals the truth of the Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast in 1938. The truth is, there actually was an alien invasion in Grover's Mill.

From our analysis of eyewitness reports conducted on the 50th Anniversary of Orson Welles' broadcast of "War of the Worlds", it appears that in 1938 it was just a scouting mission, a group ahead of the main alien invasion to evaluate Earth's technological level and what to expect on arrival. The aliens were defeated, not by bacteria, but by the Grover's Mill Militia with the weapons they had on hand. It appears they did not have their "magnetic blister" shields to protect their ships. The cost was high though. There were 38 men in the militia in 1938. Only 4 remained alive in 1988.

Orson Welles' radio show though was nowhere near what really happened. According to one eyewitness, "He trivialized one of the great moments of our life. No one really remembered what happened; all they remembered was the damn radio show."

That's the fascinating aspect to all this. You know, when you think about it, Welles was a genius. He had people believing there was an invasion, then he turned around and told them that it was all a joke. We think people were afraid to admit that they'd been taken. That's what all this silence is about. Dr. McCullough says that those that can't remember the invasion can't remember it because it was just too frightening for them to deal with.

The same thing happened in 1953. Most people can't seem to remember that invasion. It could be selective amnesia: memory blockage as a kind of defense mechanism, along with the very interesting possibility that the aliens may be able to inflict memory loss on human beings.

And the government apparently did all it could to encourage people to believe the myth. From witness testimony, Welles said he hired to do the radio program to divert attention from what really happened to protect the people from global panic.

Meanwhile the myth of the 1938 invasion continues. Howard Koch, who wrote the original radio play has extended the story to a series of sequels set in the future chronicling an invasion of Mars in 1999. Also there have been countless remakes of the radio broadcast performed by new cast members, the most notable of which have re-set the story in a modern setting and in other regions of the world. The reactions to the rebroadcast of these contemporary versions support the governments of the world's continued secrecy. "
This reptilian\ufo\alien stuff gets wierder and wierder

[edit on 25-4-2005 by warthog911]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

The cost was high though. There were 38 men in the militia in 1938. Only 4 remained alive in 1988.

Yes, I suppose the passage of 50 YEARS could impact the number of survivors...(especially if around 20 yrs old at the time of service)
Of course few would be alive in '88...

Amazingly fast coverup, no? We're going to contact this actor, and have him go on NATIONAL radio, and spin this yarn of an alien invasion (made up completely ASAP as it'd have to be), right where we actually had it...it's brilliant! NOT!!! Also, in '38, the term "flying saucer" wasn't even in usage. It would be 9 years later when that term was to be coined, so alien invasion wasn't exactly on people's minds. Also, I find it more incredible to believe that such a radio show could have been penned, and put into production from scratch so quickly.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
who knows what the motivation behind it was.

almost everything seems to be revealed first as 'fiction' and 'entertainment'

i find it very suspicious

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Years later, on camera, Wells admitted they knew what was going to happen. They had some problems with how many people were just 'following what the box said' and wanted to make a point. They got much more than they wanted, but they did it on purpose.

A.T
(-)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That's true. In fact, you can even tell that at the end of the broadcast, when he explains how it was the equivalent of the station dressing up as a ghost (I believe) and jumping out of the bushes and saying "boo!"
as I recall...or something to that effect... I believe we used a similar comparison during our Halloween homage to it....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
"General Wilson has been conducting an alien white paper. It took him a little while, but he managed to pluck a file out of the morass of red tape over at the Pentagon, and this file reveals the truth of the Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast in 1938. The truth is, there actually was an alien invasion in Grover's Mill."

I guess its only a matter of time before we see the post that the force is real, and someone saw yoda in oregon......with a link to poorly photoshopped pix.....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Actually, not too long ago, I believe Jedi was made an official religion in at least one country, as the result of a petition, etc.

JAK

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here is a link containing the broadcast and the script.

Multimedia Uploads & Other Resources » Orson Wells 1939 Radio Broadcast

Originally posted by JAK
After the excellent halloween evening I spent on ATS my intrest in this was rekinidled. I have, ever since I first learnt of Orson Wells broadcast, been fascinated by it and wondered if I would ever get to hear the original broadcast.

There are no doubt many that alread know this, but I found on the 'net not only details of the excellent Orson Wells' 1939 radio broadcast which caused so much chaos and is, in my humble opinion, a peice of history that everyone should hear, but also the script and the .mp3 available for download from The Mercury Theatre on the Air

Enjoy, I did.

Jack.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I see you got the script....but I'm telling you, you've GOT to get the actual recording of it (bought mine at a bookstore a while back, on tape) and LISTEN to it....

does anyone have the newspaper article a day after the infamous 1938 war of the worlds radio show and did anyone record that radio show,the tv news and the transcript?.

Well, there is the infamous NY Times article...

A wave of mass hysteria seized thousands of radio listeners between 8:15 and 9:30 o'clock last night when a broadcast of a dramatization of H. G. Wells's fantasy, "The War of the Worlds," led thousands to believe that an interplanetary conflict had started with invading Martians spreading wide death and destruction in New Jersey and New York.

The broadcast, which disrupted households, interrupted religious services, created traffic jams and clogged communications systems, was made by Orson Welles, who as the radio character, "The Shadow," used to give "the creeps" to countless child listeners. This time at least a score of adults required medical treatment for shock and hysteria.

You can see the entire article here…
www.ufoevidence.org...

EDIT: There was no "tv news" yet...
Radio WAS tv then, hehe....

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Gazrok]

JAK

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The recording is available for free from the link I posted above.

Here are direct links;
The War of the Worlds (October 30, 1938)
Real AudioMP3

external image
The download is direct from the www.mercurytheatre.info... too.

Jack

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Funny. I've often wondered what was really going on that night in '38. I mean, just the story we all know is so fantastic that it opens the door to even wilder speculation. Throw in the PX and Montauk Chair coming on line a few years later, and who says they had to ad lib the script? Could the whole charade Welles (kind of similar to H.G. Wells) pulled off turning the invasion into a hoax be just the beginning of the space/time meddling that then turned to the Battle of Midway, and still may continue today? If so, the whole house of cards being built on such a premise has to collapse soon of the weight of its own disinfo. Does that make any sense?

Does any of it really make any sense anymore?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Does that make any sense?

No, it doesn't. It was a radio show, thats all. In 1898, Herbert George Wells wrote what is arguably the most important novel in the history of science fiction. Then in 1938, they decided to read the story on the radio...for entertainment (just like they would make a TV movie out of a book today).

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Actually, not too long ago, I believe Jedi was made an official religion in at least one country, as the result of a petition, etc.

I believe it's New Zealand and/or the UK. You can actually mark "Jedi" as your religion on your census. Ha.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
andpau66,

That's exactly what I'd expect to see from a member with an avatar like yours. You ain't frontin' for the man, is ya?! Just kidding! Don't open up on me with enfilade fire. Better to be part of the cover-up than covered-up, I guess. Never said it had to be true anyway. Ok, you're right.

Still, first reported UFOs in modern history were in 1898.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I remember my Dad telling me about that whole thing. He said that everyone that was in the area they lived was scared to death. He remembered his father, barricading the house, and putting him and hi Mom in the basement. He then went back and stood watch all night with a double barrel shotgun and a couple of boxes of shells.

Boo! Indeed!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Folks,
Try a little research and history before you jump to wild conclusions.
Andpau66 is correct. H.G. Wells wrote War of the Worlds and many other stories along the same vein, many years before Orson Wells decided to do a scripted radio broadcast based on the story.
There was no real invasion at Grovers Mills in 1938. My mother and father remember the broadcast as do many of their friends. They heard the entire broadcast and never thought it was real. Orson Wells was famous even then for his radio dramas and narratives.
Sometimes, more often than not, a story is just a story.
No conspiratorial cover up is related to that broadcast.
Some of us are old enough to remember things as they were in the past and have living relatives that remember very well, times much father past that. My parents were born in the 1920's and my grandparents were born in the 1880's.
It was the unique format of the broadcast (like a news report) that caused the uproar. Even though many times during the broadcast itself, it was announced that it was only a radio drama.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

It was the unique format of the broadcast (like a news report) that caused the uproar. Even though many times during the broadcast itself, it was announced that it was only a radio drama.

Yep, at the beginning, end, and about 3 times during, they announced it was a play. Also, it was listed as a play in the newspaper program guide, title and all, way in advance.

Thing is, it was a genius of timing. As I recall, the play started a bit after another well-listened to radio show ended, so when people tuned in, they missed the earlier disclaimer, heard the music, and then heard the news interruption...furthermore making it seem genuine. Welles admitted later, on camera, as was mentioned, that this was EXACTLY what he was going for, hehe....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join