It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renewable Hydrogen Source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Scientists, at Penn State University, have recently discovered a possible renewable hydrogen source through the processing of waste. During the fermentation process, or breaking down of waste, bacteria will release a small amount of hydrogen and other waste by products such as acetic and butyric acids. The amount of hydrogen released is usually very minimal due to the “fermentation” barrier. This barrier has made the use of certain waste as an energy source very limited and not feasible because very limited amounts of hydrogen are released. Researchers have discovered though, that if they add a relatively small amount of electricity, .25 volts, to the process they can cause the bacteria to create carbon dioxide and hydrogen as by products. This new process essentially crosses the fermentation barrier and releases almost four times as hydrogen, plus the end product is cleaner and renewable. Needless to say, this new procedure holds a lot of promise for the future of hydrogen fuel cells.

live.psu.edu...

[edit on 24-4-2005 by skychief]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Neat! Seems like another way to get the energy we need, such a small amount of electricity could easily be powered by other renewables to boot, make it a Green cycle with very little wasted.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I agree, just imagine what we could do at waste water plants. Essentially we could turn them into hydrogen/energy producing factories. I just wonder if, in the future, this process could be utilized by each individual home? Interesting information!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You might be interested in this link then.

Scientific American Frontiers - Hydrogen Hopes

The Third Video might interest you the most.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That'll be good for the hydrogen cars/buses that they have in....greenland....or iceland...always get them two confused....leave me alone i just woke up.....

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
My understanding (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the production of H2 for fuel cell-based cars isn't the problem, but rather the storage of H2 at high densities.

Apparently, the current technology limits the pressure that hydrogen can safely be stored at. This, in turn, limits the effective range of the car. Hydrogen, after all, is the most abundant element in the universe.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
ChemicalLaser, both are problems, Reverse Osmosis is hugely inefficient as is the storage, but there are new technologies coming down the pipeline that should improve the chances of adoption.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This kind of process reminds me of that bit at the end of back to the future when he piles all that bio waste into the reactor thing at the back of his time machine. Sounds interesting anyway that theres a natural way we can process hydrogen.

new topics

top topics

join