It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deproaching the speed of light?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It seems everyone here has a fascination with the topic of traveling the speed of light or approaching a close proximity in order to time travel. My topic arises on how one would stop going the speed of light and the possible health effects of doing so.

1) The most logical place to travel at such a speed as that of light would be in the near vacuum of space where a vehicle could be unhendered by obstacles faced here on earth. But in order to go from the speed of light to resting point would mean that the same amount of energy to obtain the speed will be neccessary to stop, basically you need to turn on the thrusters to repeat your accelerating characteristics. Would there be anypossible defects to this? Yes. My theory is that when trying to stop an object going the speed of light, the forces of going the speed of light in two opposing directions would be similar to firing to objects the speed of light at each other. In turn this vehicle would simply give way and disintigrate under the force. Though this may be under some extreme circumstances and further experiments before a manned flight could solve this discripency.

2) What are the health effects involved at going such a speed and then slowing down? What if one section of the body, traveling slightly faster than the other can not cooperate with the rest of the body? In a sense, your frontal lobe (while slowing down) is operating at a slower timeframe than your medula. Your frontal lobe therefore may age by about 15 years ahead of your medula, and once a total (or near) stopage of speed has been obtained, your brain may not be able to "get a long". Thought I would imagine that accelerating at such speeds may cause a heart attack before you ever experience anything like this.

Urn

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
hmm...interesting topic, i must admit, i've never heard this particular angle before...

Originally posted by FrostyMy theory is that when trying to stop an object going the speed of light, the forces of going the speed of light in two opposing directions would be similar to firing to objects the speed of light at each other. In turn this vehicle would simply give way and disintigrate under the force.

i dont see why, as long as you applied the opposing force slowly, i dont see a problem. now, if you wanted to stop DEAD in your tracks, well then, ya...it would be like hitting a brick wall at the speed of light...

Originally posted by FrostyWhat if one section of the body, traveling slightly faster than the other can not cooperate with the rest of the body? In a sense, your frontal lobe (while slowing down) is operating at a slower timeframe than your medula. Your frontal lobe therefore may age by about 15 years ahead of your medula, and once a total (or near) stopage of speed has been obtained, your brain may not be able to "get a long".

now thats an interesting thought...sort of like the effect of the event horizon of a black hole in reverse....interesting indeed...

join