It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who protects the Pope?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I was watching the Popes mass today and saw the usual guys with tuxedos pressing their ears etc and walking on the side of the Popemobile.. is it the Secret Service or DSS (Diplomatic Security Service)?
And also to get a job as such does it reuire for you to take a bullet during training? Appreciate any help on this. Thanks

[edit on 24-4-2005 by ShadowMan]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The swiss guard

The Swiss Guard as part of the Military of the Vatican City is an exception to the Swiss rulings of 1874 and 1927. It is a small force responsible for the security of the Apostolic Palace, the entrances to the Vatican City and the safety of the Pope.

The Swiss Guard is not considered to belong to any larger force, but is instead the army of the sovereign state of the Vatican. The force is specifically limited to one hundred soldiers and currently consists of 4 officers, 23 NCOs, 70 halberdiers, 2 drummers, and a chaplain, all with an equivalent Italian army rank. Although the guards are fully trained and equipped in modern weaponry and tactics, they also receive instructions in using the sword and halberd.

The guards must be Roman Catholic males of Swiss nationality who have completed basic training with the Swiss military and can obtain certificates of good conduct. Recruits must be between 19 and 30 and at least 174 cm (5ft 9in) tall.

more here
www.vatican.va...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ok, but i saw ununiformed guys on the side of the popes car presseng thier ear (you know what they are doing) and i was wondering because they werent dressed as uniformed guards.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by ShadowMan]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
from what I gather those are "retired" members of the Swiss vatican guard. They are often used for special events, when the pope goes traveling, or is amoung the public and more guards are needed. you migth notice that all of those people look to be older then 30.

You need to remember that there is only 100 "Active" Swiss guards for the vatican, and 2/3 of those are used to guard the entrances and act as security for the vatican.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's me...I protect the pope...

And after that, me and the pope have a nice cup of tea...with alot of sugar...alltho we have to use fake sugar for him...so he doesnt have a heart attack...

>_>... and every once in a while we'll play pin the tail on the Secret Agent...alltho they get kinda angry when we do that -shrugs-

Oh wait...thats not the pope...thats my dad! >_>...oh well they're both real old >_> (Im 13...dads 52 or something...lets se...1952...2005...december 25th is his birthday.... ya 52...I think >_>)

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Ok thanks for the info Jehosephat i would think that it would be the secret service or the DSS but i guess not, and reikuro all i can say is wow. lol. thanks guys.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Who protects the Pope?

You would think that having the hotline to the Almighty would be all the protection one would need, no? Well, never hurts to be too carefull I suppose!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
besides the Swiss Guard, I believe that one could safely say that the intelligence agencies of many countries; European and North American would participate in assuring the saftety of the Pope. It is common knowledge, for example, that the C.I.A. has had a "special relationship" with the Vatican. If there were any perceived threat against the Papacy, this information would certainly be shared and, I believe, resources would be allocated to assist the Vatican.

new topics

top topics

join