It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tasman Sea Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I found a sea monster on the Net called the Tasman sea monster. I think all sea monsters are real because there is a big enough ocean for them.

The Tasman Sea Monster

Description

This was the body of an unknown creature picked up by the Japanese trawler Zuiyomaru on April 28, 1977. The carcass disintegrated rapidly and was soon thrown back into the water. The animal was a purported 1815 kg (4000 lbs.) and 10 m (32 ft) long. The crewmembers were the only ones who ended up seeing the body up close. The rest of the world had to settle for photographs. They are fairly clear but the creature was so badly decayed that it was difficult to conclude anything without examination.

It was caught 275 m (900 ft) below the surface of the water just off the coast of New Zealand, in the Tasman Sea

here is the website that has more sea monster descriptions and stuff like that. sorry no pictures. that would be cool though
library.thinkquest.org...

[edit on 24-4-2005 by gothica91]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It says there was supposed to be pictures, and I think we've seen just about everything thats come up and get shot by a camera. -And from those picturees I can definately say, that there isnt anything we doesnt know about out there..
IMO!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
There is a picture of this particular creature on the internet somewhere as I remember seeing it about a year ago. The japanese fishermen tried to haul it in but it was so heavy their rigging couldn't hold it and they had to let it go. The thing looked like a half rotten plessiosaur (spelling), but there is definately a picture of it on the net somewhere.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Does anyone have links to these pictures? Thanks!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I found some pics...
www.talkorigins.org...
Alot of folks tried to say thay hauled up the body of a dead basking shark, but that is hawgwash. Whatever it is, it isn't a shark.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I remember reading about this a while back. I believe it was discovered to be some type of seal in late stages of decay.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The seal was probably a different case. THe japanese trawler plesio was confirmed, anatomically and molecularly, to be a basking shark. The jaws fall off and rot away, quite often apparently, leaving the cartilagenous braincase hanging there naked, looking like a smaller head.

The talk origins archives are quite correct on the story.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
cryptozoo.monstrous.com...

i found this pic using the google image search
i think this is what you were looking for

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
No Basking shark has a dorsal fin that long in proportion to the rest of it's body. If this is a basking shark, rotten or not, I'm a monkey's uncle.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well, looks like your a monkey's uncle.

Here is the breakdown of the lab analysis, compared to one of a basking shark.

1977 Carcass Known Sample of basking
Amino Acid Sample Shark Elastoidin

4-Hydroxyproline 45 45
Aspartic/acid 54 55
Threonine 25 25
Serine 39 40
Glutamic acid 80 80
Proline 130 125
Glycine 291 290
Alanine 109 110
Cystine (1/2) 7 6
Valine 25 24
Methionine 10 10
Isoleucine 20 20
Leucine 19 19
Tyrosine 43 41
Phenylalanine 12 12
Hydroxylysine 5 6
Lysine 25 26
Histidine 11 13
Arginine 51 53
(Amide-N) (57) (62)

Table 1. Results of Gross Amino Acid Analysis on the Horny Fiber from the 1977 Zuiyo-maru Carcass and Known Elastoidin of a basking Shark (residues/1000 residues). Composition was determined by JLC-3BC liquid chromatography (JEOL Co. Ltd.). Both samples had been treated with NaClO. (Kimura, Fujii, and others 1978).

[edit on 29-4-2005 by LeftBehind]

[edit on 29-4-2005 by LeftBehind]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The carcass in those pictures was never recovered for analysis, the fishermen let it fall back into the sea because of the weight of it.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Aren't alot of Giant Squids found off the coasts of New Zealand when they wash up? I heard a while ago about a giant mound of blubber and stuff that some fishermen pulled up outta the water and it turned out to just be a collection of a lot of different animals. This is probably the same kinda thing, or it's a giant squid that died attached to a whale

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
No Basking shark has a dorsal fin that long in proportion to the rest of it's body. If this is a basking shark, rotten or not, I'm a monkey's uncle.

Since when??

The carcass in those pictures was never recovered for analysis

Samples were taken from it. They were analysed, and found to be proteins specific to basking sharks. The page you cited has good information
www.talkorigins.org...

his is probably the same kinda thing, or it's a giant squid that died attached to a whale

Its a basking shark.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Im actually from New Zealand and yes we do get things like this washing up all the time.
not quite the same as a sea monster but giant squid and other such things turn up all the time.
In fact,
about a year 1 1/2 yrs ago me and some family were out fishing in the Bay of Islands.
my cousin hooked a 135kg marlin.
man did he put up a fight!
believe it or not our boat actually got dragged backwards for about 5 minutes before all of a sudden it stopped.
when we got the marlin up to the boat there was nearly nothing left.
just the head and the spine.
all of the meat had been stripped off.
we ended up sending a sample that included a portion of the marlins skin that had what looked like bite marks to the Ministry of Research, Science and Technology.
the reply we got back was that they had matched the marks on the skin to those of a giant squid victim (just a fish not an actual victim) and then worked out the estimated sized of our squid.
15-18m!!!!!
shame we had no proof other than its left-overs.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have also seen a television show about the above sea creature where it was discovered to be a basking shark. It's been on a couple of times.

Man, that giant squid fishing story is some spooky stuff. Your lucky it didn't drag your boat down too!

[edit on 4-8-2005 by librasleep]

new topics

top topics

join