It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Has Our Brain Development Been Halted by Our Eating Habits?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
British plant biologist Tony Wright believes that when fruit was the main dietary constituent for ancestral man, the chemical compounds changed hormones in a way that boosted human brain activity to the level of genius for all humans. He thinks that seeds, tubers and meat have caused a degenerative effect on body, immune system, and brain function. He also feels that this degeneration of the brain could be reversed.

www.prweb.com
(PRWEB) April 23, 2005 -- Imagine an ideal world where we were all geniuses and operated on a higher consciousness, where one could communicate on a more advanced mental level and consequently eliminate the fear, anxiety, distrust and miscommunication that is often the cause of so much conflict in the world.

To many, this may sound like the basis of a far-fetched science fiction movie, but plant biologist Tony Wright believes that something like this began to happen, but was slowly lost when the significant brain expansion of early man ground to a halt. He says that it all comes down to eating habits, lifestyle and hormones. To back up his claims, evidence from an eminent Professor suggests that these latent higher abilities are present in all of us.

In his ground-breaking research Tony has found that when fruit was the main dietary constituent for ancestral man its chemical compounds reacted in a unique way with our bodies, boosting activity in the brain through the modification of our hormone environment and causing it to develop over successive generations. It is ultimately this altered hormone environment that Tony believes has been the overriding factor in brain degeneration.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are many theories about diet, and brain function. If this theory proves out, in the future all humans could function at the level of genius. It would not even be hard to make this happen if it were proven accurate.

Imagine how different the world would be then.

Related News Links:
biomed.gerontologyjournals.org
apu.sfn.org

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sounds like Silly Science to me. I know plenty of Vegans who are as dumb as a box of rocks. (although this does not mean that all vegans are dumb, so don't attack me) Intelligence was driven by our interaction with the environment around us and by the increasing need to communicate. Sure, chemical compounds can effect our system but to say that a diet of fruit will make you a genius or your offspring smarter sounds like a load of bunk to me.

When you consider that we evolved as Omnivores and went from a puny brain to our current state eating everything and anything, this whole premise doesn't hold water. We never evolved as strictly fruit eaters. There are some slanted studies that may suggest this but they are not very accurate. Our ancestors ate a widely varied diet and the brain has developed since the time when hunting meat began. While I think that a diet high in fruits, nuts and vegetables, and low in meat protein is far healthier, it in no way indicates that the evolution of the human brain is connected to fruit consumption. The Brain developed due to survival needs. The more you can process data the better you are going to be able to fit into a changing environment.

There are plenty of fruit eating species in the world and I have yet to see one with the intelligence even as low as George Bush who is a Texan meat eater. I guess I will make an exception for Parrots who seem to do better with the English language than he does.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yes this does sound like silly science to me also. I read the exact opposit that said that meat eating was responsible for an increased growth spurt in our Alalytical centers of our brain. It was a while ago(so I cannot remember it clearly) but the conclusions made sense.

EDIT: PR Wire is not a credible source of "news" fyi. Anyone can pay to have something released on that website(it's mostly small public companies that do this too)

[edit on 24-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I was discrouaged by this story after the first sentence. Fruit was the main dietary source for ancestral man? I don't think so. Humans have been always been meat eaters in many parts of the world. Perhaps this guy is talking about just a few of the world's ancient civilizations, because this statement certainly doesn't apply to all.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Actually ancestral man ate their meat raw, due to the fact that they had to kill and eat at the place were they did the kill.

Cooking meat or drying meat came later, to make it last longer.

We need Byrd to clarify this one.

Now most of the time ancient men consumed more seeds, fruits and roots.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Actually, blood types are a deciding factor on what kind of food you should eat.

Some blood types are people that used to hunt so alot of meat and some fruit would be good.

some blood types were of people that mainly ate fish and fruit.

etc, etc., so you should eat according to your blood type.

Well that's the theory anyway, my wife's uncle read a book about this.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I was discrouaged by this story after the first sentence. Fruit was the main dietary source for ancestral man? I don't think so.

Agreed. Fruit was most likely a rare treat for early humans. Early humans in Africa moved out of the jungles and into grasslands where fruit didn't occur often. Only with the advent of agriculture and development of high-yield plant varieties did fruit and grains become available in quantity. And evidence exists that as humans began agriculture, health actually declined a bit due to high starch diets.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I dont know how far back the word ANCESTRAL is referring to, but i dont think it means caneman, i dont know of any genious back than...I do bleiev that all the fat, greese, saturated oils are affecting our brains, mainly because it making ppl lazy, and if you are lazy to move eventually you become lazy to think... and that shows in our society ... TOO MUCH !

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm off to work (yea I do have a part-time job believe it or not) however when I get back I want to address how in Terrence McKennas book 'Food of the Gods', he addresses the exact issue (more in depth actually) nearly a decade ago. Specfically, he says that since the human race has turned it's back on natural psychedelics for the more popular and profitable drugs of Sugar, Coffee, Tea, and yes Media our entire society has evolved from it's ancient partnership model to a 'dominator style society'.

top topics

join