It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you tell if its a diamond?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I was given some old jewelry, one piece is very dirty but sparkles even in dim light. Is there some way to tell if it is a diamond without taking it to a jeweler? If I have to take it to a jeweler what is the average cost of an appraisal? This piece has 4 fairly large round stones, 1/2 carat size it looks like and 3 small round ones and 8 small round ones. If they were diamonds, average quality wonder how much they would be worth? TIA.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by goose]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Try giving it to your girfriend, the reaction on her face will reveal if its a diamond or not

You might want to check this site on how diamonds are tested, though I dont think you can do it at home
www.kassoy.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Here is a similar link, with a few different tests, some are more easily done at home..

www.diamondcuttersintl.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I have heard that if you hold the diamond over something (like type in a book) and can read the type then it is not real, you are apparently not able to see clearly through a diamond.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I used to work for Caribe diamonds many moons ago ha,ha,

If you have a magnifying glass you will know if is real.

Diamonds tend to have imperfections the most perfect diamonds may have what is called a pin hole or more, others have littler white clouds and some are right out dirty inside, if the stone is clear and nothing inside you may have either a rare diamond costing lots of money...ha,ha, or glass, depending of the age it may be a circonian.

If you see something inside the stone it may be a diamond, and worth to have it appraised.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, hubby and me both looked at it with a magnifying glass, but our eyesight is so bad we could not really tell. I guess I will just have to take it all to a jewelers and see, if they are and I sell them I am going to purchase us both some new glasses. Of course I may just hang on to them since diamonds are an investment and probably will go up in value. lol When I get these apprasied I will let you know.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by goose]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
worth getting it valued in two different places at least, don't want them ripping you off... get what they are worth!

This Link might help.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The member Kyoshi's sister Naru (obviously not her real name, her nickname) asked me that a while back (why they come to me, a 13 year old, with questions that I obviously have no idea as to what the answer is confuses me) and I told her this, chuck it at things, slam it on walls, attempt to break it, if it does then 1. its not diamond or 2. your a moron you just broke a diamond

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
see if it scratches a mirror if it does its real. i think or maybe the other way around lol sorry

new topics

top topics

join