It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny how all aliens seem to be bipedal...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Why must they all be humanoid? Yes, that's one reason why I'm skeptic. I'm still pretty sure the greys are really only seen by people undergoing brain surgery.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hm. Kinda seems like you're taking the piss, but I'd imagine descriptions of mostly bipedal aliens either stems from the fact that that's all that people saw or anything too out there would be too hard to believe in.

The latter would be what scammers may think.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Maybe it's just the aliens *that we know of* that are bi-pedal.

i mean, if we look around at nature here on earth we can see that different species adapt to their local area - so i think it would be safe to say that there should be other life-forms that aren't bi-pedal.

i must say though, i'm sure a great number of alien sightings and enounters are hoaxes which only helps to further the idea that aliens only walk on 2 feet.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Maybe the two-arm-two-leg combo is the most likely to lead to the ability to manipulate your surroundings......as we have done here on Earth.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Google for "convergent evolution" for a reasonable explanation.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Maybe god flopped in his creation.Also i have yet to see a machine alien.All i hear are pure energy or biological entities.Why not machines?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberAlmighty
Why must they all be humanoid? Yes, that's one reason why I'm skeptic. I'm still pretty sure the greys are really only seen by people undergoing brain surgery.

According to my friend
, the further you go in space, the lifeforms become more diverse in appearance. The reason many of the lifeforms that visit earth have qualities such as arms, legs, and the very basic framework of our features is because the ability to travel to area's of differing lifeform features is complicated at best. For instance, some lifeform types have highly evolved ventricles on the outside of their body but which give off a certain toxin that can kill humanoid and various ET's. Although some lifeform area's cannot be visited on a personal level, there are other ways of communication with them.

Life is outside our galaxy and some of our neighboring galaxies have lifeforms very similar to us, it also depends on how the galaxy develops along with so many other variables that it is impossible to list, it is almost like Pi, it is never-ending the amount and type of variable pertaining to how lifeforms are the way they are. For instance, our lifeform might be like 3.14352611 and our neighboring galaxy's lifeform may have a difference of 3.14352622. If we were using numbers to theoretical describe lifeformation.

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Enigmatic_Messiah]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
There are reports of creatures of all shapes and sizes down throughout the ages. We simply decide that one is 'creature' and another is 'alien'. We use the only model we have for intelligent life, humans, and say 'well these must be the intelligent aliens and these others are just critters'.

If this bias influences your feelings on the central 'are we alone' question then I suspect you are about to turn a corner. So little of what you have seen is based on fact that the only conclusion one can draw is that 'something' must be out there. What is just not very well understood as of yet.

Think of it this way, the Universe is so vast and the probable forms of life so many that we at this point can barely begin to understand the forms that are most like us. Common things, on any level, create interest, so perhaps the contacts we understand are driven by the fact that we are similar.

In truth there is no basis at all to say that all, or even most of the actual alien races we have encountered are human-like. Things of the other sort are probably much more common because even when seen they are not understood. I am reminded again of the Foo Fighters of WW2. Granted they could have been tiny ships with insect-sized intelligent beings (size goes both ways in space) or they could have been remote probes, but I have always felt they were beings themselves not in a craft.

Many, many people saw these things, up close and personal, but we do not understand what they are even on the most basic level. If perhaps I am correct and they were living creatures they might live here, or might have travelled from elsewhere making them aliens.

The only foundation for the idea that most aliens are human-like is our lack of understanding of the Universe we live in.

A.T
(-)

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Perhaps aliens can change their shape at will...and appear to us as the least threatening thing they can achieve or perhaps are trying to model us but cannot get it right.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Well, like what was already said, our design allows us to manipulate our surroundings much better than any other shape that humans see regularly. Also as it says in the Bible, God created man in His own image... Which would lead me to believe he created atleast MOST all of the others in His own image as well.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I like the convergent evolution theory as well. Flying creatures for the most part require wings of some type. Insects, birds, and bats all have different but same purpose appendages for flight. Intelligence most likely requires tool creation to spur thought. While many creatures on this planet use tools other than their own bodies, tools are best created and implemented by creatures who have free appendages. So a biped with upper limbs with fine motor control would be a very ideal form for the creation of an intelligent species. That doesn't mean that all ETs would have to be humanoid in shape to be intelligent, but its probably the easiest way for nature to get there.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by Frith]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
A lot of animals have the potential to be bi-pedal if nature required it. It is true that standing upright allows us to better manipulate our environment. With two limbs freed from having to be used for walking, we are able to do things such as carrying stuff, like tools, to places where we might need them. We've even evolved broad shoulders so that we can throw things. Walking with two legs also conserves energy by using fewer limbs, and by increasing the length of a single stride to cover more distance. Standing upright also helps to see over certain obstacles, and keep an eye out for predators.

Being bipedal has lots of advantages, and it's not "out there" to say that other creatures have realized this and evolved this feature as well. Humans aren't the only bipedal animals on earth either. Birds are bipedal also, which is especially apparent when you look at ostriches.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I was just thinking about centaurs right about now. Why not centaurs?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Why not centaurs (or four armed aliens)? We don't know that there aren't any, but if the majority are four limbed bipeds, its probably due to similar natural conservation scales as we see here on earth. The smaller a creature is on earth, the more diverse it usually is in appearance and can have many limbs and not even have a skeletal structure at all. Larger creatures here necessitated endoskeletons to support their weight and at that the vertebrate scale, limb count decreases considerably. Nature seems to be quite conservative once animals start getting bigger. Gravity and other physical issues fashioned the standard four limbed land vertebrate body type. Most planets that support life probably are similar to Earth in many respects and the same physical constraints that led to four limbed humans might have led to four limbed ETs on their respective worlds. Perhaps for all land based intelligent life forms, this may be the standard setup.

There have been rare reports of even completely inhumanoid ETs before. I remember a report from the 50s or 60s of some boys seeing what appeared to be fleshy potato sack-like beings around a UFO. No limbs or eyes could be seen. There was also a fairly recent report of a woman who saw a red scaley blob with two appendages that appeared to be legs in her house. An arm-like appendage "grew" out of its torso area and pointed at her, then it vanished.

Technological advancement may allow for ETs to remove any physical constraints placed upon their original primitive constructions and they may be able to fashion themselves into any body form they want.

Whatever the case may be for ETs and the humanoid shape, it can only mean that such a body type has enough advantages to be a dominant form for intelligent beings.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
or........ maybe 'we' are the aliens and are not natural to this environment, and we're a genetic mix of other alien life forms, and thus the two arms and two legs because our genes are from the aliens themselves

Also, in Blue Blood True Blood, it talks about other aliens being praying mantis like, and butterfly like... not exactly bi-pedal

Kind Regards
Merger

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It is true that most reported aliens are bi-ped, but more exotic types have been seen although much more rare.

I think bi-pods are all related to our genes in some extend, we were made to be more like them so we could learn to live with them perhaps?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So how about it Amber, any of this help to answer your doubts?

A.T
(-)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If you had a spaceship and had the choice of studying Greys or oozy blobs, which planet would you choose?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There is a term. The term is: PANSPERMIA
Panspermia is the theoretical belief that microbial life that lives (perhaps in stasus) on comets, and asteroids and other interplanetary bodies is formed in space and then as the dust from the tail of a comet crosses the path of a planet, the microbial life is then transplanted onto the planet via the dust, or impact. We now have bacteria from Fox cavern in northern Alaska that has literally been alive for over 2 million years (although frozen in stasus for most of it) but when thawed out is still alive. If you can accept evolution, the same code in that bacteria would exist in future species. The bluprint of life can endure far more than we once thought. We have tubeworms and crabs living miles under water with absolutely no sunlight whatsoever. They survive off of the geothermic energy of the Earth. We have lifeforms that live in boiling sulfure in Yellowstone Nation Park, we have lifeforms 2 million + years old surviving in the permafrost of northern Alaskan caves, we have lifeforms that survived on the exterior of one of the Apollo missions to the moon and were brought back inside, and survived. Life is far more resiliant than we first thought. If this planet did not support life prior to life being already in existance on this planet, we then are the aliens, and most of the life on this planet are not bipedal. But the majority of them do have bilateral anatomical characteristics that are
similar. I promise you this much. We are not alone. Oh, we also find lifeforms 160 feet beneath the surface of the Earth living inside solid rock. But, no they are not bipedal.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
^ Yup, I've heard about it before.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join