It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Syria to Complete Withdrawal From Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
After twenty-nine years of occupation, the Syrian Army is leaving Lebanon. It appears that the withdrawal will be completed by tomorrow. Syria intervened in Lebanon's civil war in 1976, but remained after the war ended in 1990. There has been considerable pressure of late from the world community for Syria to end its military presence in Lebanon.

news.yahoo.com
The last Syrian troops will leave Lebanon on Sunday after 29 years, a senior Lebanese military officer said, as Damascus yields to fierce international and domestic pressure after the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

The announcement came as the largest number of Syrian troops to leave Lebanon in one batch vacated at least 10 positions in the northern part of the Bekaa Valley in eastern Lebanon Saturday night.

Under pouring rain, dozens of trucks carrying hundreds of soldiers and at least 150 armored vehicles towing cannons and rocket launchers were seen heading to the Lebanese-Syrian Masnaa border point, witnesses said.

"Tomorrow everything will be over," the military officer told The Associated Press Saturday on condition of anonymity. Lebanese military officers rarely speak on the record.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We have all been following this story as it has unfolded. As Walid Jumblatt stated, "I was cynical about Iraq. But when I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them, it was the start of a new Arab world" [Washington Post]. We can all hope that freedom and democracy begin to take hold throughout the Middle East.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.cnn.com
www.worldpress.org
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Huge explosion rocks resort east of Beirut
POLITICS: Lebanon Anti-Syrian Rally Draws Hundreds of Thousands
POLITICS: 2,000 Syrian Troops Leave Lebanon

[edit on 05/4/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I can't wait to watch Lebanon's new future unfold. This is an exciting time to be alive.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I can't wait to watch Lebanon's new future unfold. This is an exciting time to be alive.

Yes, indeed it certainly is! My grandmother was full-blooded Lebanese so I know something of the culture, especially the food.

I do hope Lebanon can pull itself out of the morass it's been in over the past years and regain its former glory and Beirut becomes the Paris of the Middle East again.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Interesting,

DJ,

My GrandFATHER, was Lebanese. He didn't pass on the culture though.
I am very happy for Lebanon regardless!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I am lebanese, born and bred, and this is a great day for my homeland.

*sings the national anthem* ke'lluna khairadan, ke'lluna al watan!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Guys ...

Dont you realize that once Syria went out from Lebanon, 6 explosions occured in Beirut!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Guys ...

Dont you realize that once Syria went out from Lebanon, 6 explosions occured in Beirut!!!!!!

No doubt staged by radical Islamic Syria supporters. Lebanon had a long history of Christians, Muslims and even Jews living together in harmony until these radical elements took over the country.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is good news for the whole world. Let us pray that Lebanon can be a model for democracy and peace for the entire Middle East.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

No doubt staged by radical Islamic Syria supporters. Lebanon had a long history of Christians, Muslims and even Jews living together in harmony until these radical elements took over the country.

Brother, Syria is among the less Arabic country in Radicals. That is because the grand Imam in Syria support always the tolerace and the harmony with nonMuslims.

And the 10% of Christians in Syria live in avery harmony with muslims.

I am from Syria nad I know many of friends are christians and have greek names.

This is the website of the grand religious leader in Syria
kuftaro.org...

And this is his picture with the Pope in 2000 in the greatest Mosque in Syria

And here you can see how Christians celebrate Christmess widely in the streets in Syria without suingle event against them
oldamascus.com...

And if you have the Syrian Channel, you will see most of the actress are Christians and many politicians are also Christians.

And moreover, every Sunday there is Christian programs in a country that more than 90% of it are MUSLIMS!!!!

Lebanon, 3,000,000 people, has 47% of Christians and they had the civil war with Muslims in 1980s and the conflict didnt fnish till Syrians entered Lebanon.

And NO attack on either Musims or Christians happened since Syrians entered Lebanon.

The Harmony between Christians and Muslims in Syria is unbelievable SO how are you addressing Syrians to make the seperations between Muslims and Christians while Syrians are maybe the most Arabs who believe in the tolerance and harmony between religions!!!

[edit on 24-4-2005 by Islam]

new topics

top topics

join