It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to sell air defense systems to Syria so that Syrian president may sleep well

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Now the Syrian president can sleep tight. No Israeli aircraft will be flying over his palace in Damask because Russian-made air defense systems Igla-8 will be on standby.

he SA-18 missiles Russia is selling Syria "will of course make it difficult to fly over the residence of the Syrian president," Russian President Vladimir Putin bluntly said. "It will make flying low difficult," implying Syria’s reason for acquiring the anti-aircraft missiles: the concern over Israeli air force planes "buzzing" presidential palaces in Damascus.

Israel and Washington have repeatedly expressed their concern over Russia’s plans to sell the SA-18 missiles and state-of-the-art Iskander complexes to Syria.

"We are not pleased with the sales of weapons to Syria, particularly sophisticated weapons that Russia intends to sell to Syria," Sharon said.

sources:

english.pravda.ru

islam.online.com

Whats the Big Deal here? The USA can sell tons of weapons and send Billions of dollars military help to Isreal. The USA have sold Isreal Apache attack helicopters, F-16 and F-15 fighter/bomber jets. In just last ten years Isreal has received from the USA:

Fighter/Bombers: 237 F-16 Fighting Falcons - $34.3m (each!), 98 F-15 Eagles - $38m, 50 F-4E Phantoms - $18.4m,

Helicopters: 42 AH-64 Apache Attacks - $14.5m, 57 Cobra Attacks - $10.7m, 25 Blackhawks - $11m

Missiles: AGM 65 Mavericks - $17,000-$110,000, AGM 114 Hellfires - $40,000, Aim 7 Sparrows - $125,000, Aim 9 Sidewinders -$84,000, Aim 120B Amraams - $386,000.

So a few Defensive Missile Systems against so powerful IAF is non-acceptable and these weapons could get into the hands of "terrorists"?

I mean - PLEASE - this arms deal is not even in the same League as the arm deals between USA and Isreal!

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was reading about this in Haaretz, the funniest line was by an Israeli official complaing that the the Russian SAM deal must be stopped because "these systems represent a threat to Israeli aircraft flying in Syrian airspace."

Uh, hello? Keep your combat aircraft in your own airspace, and it won't be a problem. Somehow I doubt the Israelis would be too tolerant of Syrian planes buzzing the Knesset either...

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Uh, hello? Keep your combat aircraft in your own airspace, and it won't be a problem. Somehow I doubt the Israelis would be too tolerant of Syrian planes buzzing the Knesset either...

Exactly!

Around 340 attack aircraft capable of striking any target in Syria and they are not Allowed to buy some simple protection? I mean it is not the Best anti aircraft system by Russians!

One more article about this:

kommersant

Photos

[edit on 23/4/05 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Why is it not the same neither side should be funding any sort of war/build up to one.

I do not agree with Syria goverment its oppressive to the ppl but they still have a right to defend themself and seek help especially if another foreign country is sticking there nose in.

Mind you Isreals goverment are not exactly a great goverment either its oppressive to the poor ppl that it throws out of homes to build a wall ppl which could be inocent or terroritst but they still deserve a home (Go against this principle we are as barbaric as the terrorist that attack innocent ppl)

The only reason the good old USA goverment are backing and supplying Isreal is that its it only ally in that area and requires them for projection of power into the arabian countries.

If you are an American then you are taking a really biased view its ok for the American goverment to back a country that aint exactly got a good record but it wrong for another country to back the opposite side because they are "an axis of evil".......Bushes bad choice of words Syria is not this its simply the ppl that run it.

Best idea is to stop arming both sides

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm an American and you don't know how much we/I wish that our government stops selling top notch equipment and systems to Israel.

This deal sucks for Israel, but I'm not concerned about U.S. Jets we could still fly over Syria if we choose to.

West Point, Out.

[edit on 23-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The Russian government is no better than a South-Central Los Angeles gang who sells crack on the corners. All their intellect, sophistication and genius and look at the shape Russia is in?

Their selling weapons to thugs, helping the Iranians build a nuclear power plant...and that enriched material might just end up in the hands of Chechneyan terrorists (real smart huh?).

I wish we could trust Israel with our latest stealth fighters to counter this move from Syria, but Im afraid they will have to take their chances with the SA-18's. Im not worried, Im sure the IAF has some good Wild Weasel type jets....and that SA-18 Battery is meat on the table for the IAF anytime they want it. If Syrians are manning the radar instead of Russians, Im even less worrried.

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I agree with WestPoint.

Were getting pretty sick of the Isreali military getting themselves in trouble and expecting the US to solve it for them.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanfitz
I agree with WestPoint.

Were getting pretty sick of the Isreali military getting themselves in trouble and expecting the US to solve it for them.

Well the USA do not provide just Military support - also heavy Economic and Diplomatic support, which is really more helpful than all of the F16 sold to them - the main thing is to "get away" with just about everything Isreali airforce then does with this weaponary!

But I understand your point, that you and WestPoint are trying to make - alot of Money goes from US Budget to the state of Isreal, but there are People and Problems in America that need that Money too! I mean, check this numbers!

If you add its foreign aid grants and loans, plus the approximate totals of grants to Israel from other parts of the U.S. federal budget, Israel has received since 1949 a grand total of $84.8 billion, excluding the $10 billion in U.S. government loan guarantees it has drawn to date.

And if you calculate what the U.S. has had to pay in interest to borrow this money to give to Israel, the cost of Israel to U.S. taxpayers rises to $134.8 billion, not adjusted for inflation.

Put another way, the nearly $14,630 every one of 5.8 million Israelis had received from the U.S. government by October 31, 1997, cost American taxpayers $23,241 per Israeli. That’s $116,205 for every Israeli family of five.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Israel will use no aircraft when or if they decided to take out the Syrian President.

My recommendation would be to simply link into a couple of Israeli or US satellites, fire a host of cruise missiles and wait for the inevitable CNN/BBC news report to confirm what will be self-evident.

The futility of those freshly acquired Russian air defense systems will become obvious.

Yes, indeed, Mr. Syrian President, please sleep well....

seekerof

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I doubt any Russian air defense system is going to make Assad sleep well. He's not the strong man his father was and is being pressed on all sides.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I doubt any Russian air defense system is going to make Assad sleep well. He's not the strong man his father was and is being pressed on all sides.

You are Right. If Isreal decides to attack targets in Syria, they will do it without any serious problems or serious opposition from Syrian Air Defence. And whatever they do, they will have Endless support by the United States so - how can he really Sleep Well anyway?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Originally posted by djohnsto77

You are Right. If Isreal decides to attack targets in Syria, they will do it without any serious problems or serious opposition from Syrian Air Defence. And whatever they do, they will have Endless support by the United States so - how can he really Sleep Well anyway?

It's not just that he must keep an eye on his "entourage" especially these days: they could turn on him from the inside in a blink of an eye

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bl00D_Th0rN
It's not just that he must keep an eye on his "entourage" especially these days: they could turn on him from the inside in a blink of an eye

Yes, this is what I meant as well. In fact, I think Assad himself would actually like to cooperate more with the U.S. and Israel but his precarious position in internal Syrian politics makes it difficult. I think he's walking a very fine line.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Fighter/Bombers: 237 F-16 Fighting Falcons - $34.3m (each!), 98 F-15 Eagles - $38m, 50 F-4E Phantoms - $18.4m,

Helicopters: 42 AH-64 Apache Attacks - $14.5m, 57 Cobra Attacks - $10.7m, 25 Blackhawks - $11m

Missiles: AGM 65 Mavericks - $17,000-$110,000, AGM 114 Hellfires - $40,000, Aim 7 Sparrows - $125,000, Aim 9 Sidewinders -$84,000, Aim 120B Amraams - $386,000.

So a few Defensive Missile Systems against so powerful IAF is non-acceptable and these weapons could get into the hands of "terrorists"?

I mean - PLEASE - this arms deal is not even in the same League as the arm deals between USA and Isreal!

Souljah,

I am surprised you missed the "man behind the curtain." I don't think it matters WHO sells the military equipment because it is all the same machine. All the same players have been involved since the beginning. You sell one side something good. You sell the other side something better. After they clash, then you move in and sell the first party an "upgrade" to kick the other side's tail. They move back and forth instigating the two sides the entire time because conflict is good for both sellers' economies. The people who are buying the stuff, however, are ruining theirs. Billions of dollars are on the line and the more the "news agencies" cover the conflict, the better. Enflame the whole region and the money flows like a dam burst.

This is a very old game but as PT Barnum once said... "there is a sucker born every minute."

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I want to know one single thing.

Why Bush is nervous because Syria want to defense itself ??????

Do you want us O Bush to sit naked waiting for some idiots (like you) to invade us without protection ????

Israel has the whole right to have 200 Nuclear Bombs that can destroy USA and the whole creatures BUT Syria can NOT has few weapons and Moreover it is a TERRORIST country if it does so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an irony!
What a diuble standards!

GOD BLESS SYRIA

[edit on 24-4-2005 by Islam]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Islam

Do you want us O Bush to sit naked waiting for some idiots (like you) to invade us without protection ????

Israel has the whole right to have 200 Nuclear Bombs that can destroy USA and the whole creatures BUT Syria can NOT has few weapons and Moreover it is a TERRORIST country if it does so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an irony!
What a diuble standards!

GOD BLESS SYRIA

Because syria is on our hitlist, we want the advantage, regardless of rather or not syria has these weapons, it realy doesnt matter. its only a minor annoyance.

God Bless America.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by C0le]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It's all just a business really. America needs to make some money...they don't care who they sell them to. The possibility of the enriched material being used against Russia should've worried them just a little...maybe countries should just stay outta each others way...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Islam

What an irony!
What a diuble standards!

GOD BLESS SYRIA

Allah bless SYRIA

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
So the Russian are selling some of their toys to an American enemy, big deal! they sold weapons to Iraq before and its not suprise the Russians are up to their dirty tricks again. Its Russian made so i doubt its any good anyways

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

they sold weapons to Iraq before and its not suprise the Russians are up to their dirty tricks again

The america weapons manufacturers have been playing 'dirty tricks' for years, they also sold weapons to Iraq, they also presently sell weapons to Saudi Arabia, which is far from the 'democracy' the present American administration currently sponsors in Iraq.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join