It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silver Bullet Cure for terrorism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
HIFIGUY, in your original post, you said:

where even I am looking at semi trucks suspiciously as well as shadey charachters. Which of course can lead to discrimination.

What does this mean, "even I"? Why do you look at trucks with suspicion? Can you describe the last time you felt this and why? Was the driver (of this truck) of a particular religio-ethnic group? Did he have any markings on his truck of a political or religious nature?

To clarify, I personaly began to turn up my personal observation of the environment around me. I used the truck as an example which when I observed the driver, who happened to be a Seek. Most people would think Turbine + foreigner = terrorist. Well, Seek is Indian, and I realized that I had justified prejudice which is why I made the statement about discrimination.
Tim Mcveigh did not wear a turbine on his head, and most of you might have invited him into your house for pie with your family.

So its not in just evaluating the person, its in monitoring materials and actions. In evaluating potential situations. Its a lot like driving. Never the same variable every day, but you manage to make it home avoiding injury and accident.

On a side note, There are a number of people in here that are knowledgable in building explosives which I dont consider to be a normal thing for average citizens. That my friends would enter my radar. Call me nosy.

If someone says Big Brother, I say great. Big Brothers keep little brothers from hurting themselves.

Peace

[edit on 25-4-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Just as Bruce Lee said that to maintain any discipline, martial arts, fitness, etc.. you need to practice at least three times a week. Most of us just like to pretend we have answers or are prepared for a terrorist situation. The truth is, who here is on the cutting edge of training and could actually do anything? For that matter how many people in society could do anything but respond to the chaos?

What do we see in Iraq, MBG's blowing themselves up and then what happens? As soon as people come to help, boom! another bomb goes off. Were talking pre-meditated, pre-planned, and tactically efficient. Were at war and will continue to be at war as long as we are in Iraq or anywhere a group of hardcore Muslims don't want us to be. To think violence won't come to your step, is foolish, considering the times.

As my teacher once said, "There are those that think they can fight and those that can fight," he couldn't be more right. Smallpeeps what you were talking about disarming an individual or relaxing an individual through body language is a great tactic and if you have ever studied neuro-linguistics, it's a good tool to add to your belt. You'll find yourself using the tool often.

Here are some guidelines:

Sensibility_ Body Language_ Response
SBLR Training – To cause extensive awareness of personal sensibility for defense, situation control, protection, and/or stabilizing relationships. Action is always dependent on the individual.

In order to utilize SBLR you need to engage in training with groups of people. You use scenario's which require vocal commands, body language, and violence to control personalities. As you train with different people you become more efficient at using body language to draw out a conflict or bring a situation to a head ( whether knife, gun, terrorist, hostage, eod, etc..) in order to control it. In essence you are always leading and in control. Threat assessment increases which paralells survival factor.

I always ALWAYS carry a weapon. In order to be affective with a weapon you must train with it until it's an extension of you. I do admit I have been slacking and am no where near as resilient. Age does that to you and is no excuse.

If you can spin and throw a blade 20 meters for a head shot, under movement, or while foward or side rolling and do the same with a pistol then you're on the right track. If you can bull everytime from at ease to 50 meters - you're good. Back in the day just on knife training required three hours of throwing rolling on hard wood floors against silhouettes. H2H combat always included a knife or gun.

Now besides the SBLR or any real situations what American citizen has time to learn this and where you gonna learn it from? Unless you're rich and can employ ex SF to beat your arse all day you have to fend for yourself, which means - not gonna happen.

You're not affective if you don't.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7

Its also a lot like spelling and typing!
You've got to take the time to sit down and practice, until you're at 70 words per minute, with no spelling or grammatical errors, you simply cannot solve nor comprehend world issues!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hifi,

Just to clarify a few things, I think you meant he was of the Sikh religion not "seek".

Secondly, Sikhs do not wear turbines on their heads. What they do wear are turbans.

Sorry to be so pedantic but in this forum the written word is all we have to communicate and therefore we need to be as accurate as possible.

As the sign above says "Deny Ignorance"

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It was too late for me to correct it. I thank you for the heads up.

Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I agree that a good degree of "situational awareness" as the military calls it is a good thing for anyone to have. It's how we act within that attitude that concerns me. How suspicious should a person be? Where do we draw the line so that discrimination and paranoia don't become (even more of) a problem (than they already are)? Is aggression or compassion best (or both)? Do we give people the benefit of the doubt, or do we assume guilt, taking a position whereby individual inconvenience (or even individual rights) become unimportant - or less important - when compared to the common good and common security?

Those are the questions we all need to be answering, even peacemongers like myself, because if we don't, others will answer for us and impose their judgement on our society at large.

That having been said, and on that same note: don't worry. Once TIA or something like it is out in force, we won't need to look for the suspicious behavior in people's transactions/lifestyles/activities/etc. because the system will do it for us. Everything will be taken care of. Nothing to worry about. We can all rest easy...

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azza

Its also a lot like spelling and typing!
You've got to take the time to sit down and practice, until you're at 70 words per minute, with no spelling or grammatical errors, you simply cannot solve nor comprehend world issues!

Yeah affective / effective always screws me up. I just recently had to memorize for school the following:

When you affect a situation or influence something, you have an effect on it, or effect a new method by creation.

- and then I still screw it up. Yes practice makes perfect.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
when one knows what to look for in spotting a would-be terrorist. Let us not forget that as successful as they were, the 9-11 boys couldn't even hold in their arrogant rage and selfishness long enough to pull of the job without getting in an argument over a parking space before boarding their flight. Now, this will not help once an armed subject enters ready to detonate but lets look back to the first post of noticing the little things about people that might tip us off while their in the planning stages.

In the days leading up to 911, I worked at a University in the Engineering Department. There were several middle eastern students enrolled. In the weeks leading to the attack, I began to notice an increase in their violent tendancies toward the rest of the student body. They withdrew from multi-cultural circles and started to exclude anyone from their group who was not middle eastern. They were arrogant, insulting, and at time downright violent. Thier attitude became largely superior to those around them.

Now, I didn't understand how to interpret this nor did I understand how to interpret their sudden absence the morning of 9/11/01. In fact it did not hit me until sometime later after all the excitment had calmed a bit that there is a good chance, these students had possible knowledge of the impending attack. This was further elaborated by regular visits from US Marshalls on campus shortly afterward.

What I'm saying is this, while a terrorist like Mcvey might know how to be coy and sneaky, most middle eastern people do not or simply will not. Thier arrogance and hostility get the better of them..or at least did from what I observed. I mean, come on. To be so self absorbed that you actually jump on some poor old man in the parking garage on the day of all days you need to go unnoticed is not exactly a smart thing to do.

Case and point: I had a family member relate to me a story which happened when they were in a restaurant in a neighboring city in the US. A guy came in alone, was rude to the waitress and seated himself in the corner facing the restaurant where he began looking around like he was assessing the other customers. They immediatly ask for the check and went to the front desk. He told the young lady that he believed there was something not right about the guy. She concurred and informed him they had already contacted authorities because two other guest had quietly expressed the same thing. When a guy comes in to a restaurant and right away four different people peg him as "not right", thats when action needs to be taken. Apparently, he was there to rob the place but was "talked out of it" by local cops.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by astrocreep]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Get involved, Know your neighbors, be a citizen, know what cars are normally around, all the little details that we overlook on a daily basis. You can make a change. The embodiment of United we Stand.

Sure that would be great...you know, the whole Unity aspect of America. Sounds good. However this clearly a utopian concept of American society that will never materialize. Why? Because we are far from united.

And you may ask yourself 'why' again. Well because our society is so enveloped with divisional sub-societies such as Right/Left, Liberal/Conservative, Black/White....that will align ourselves to certain ideologies and stick to them. We side with certain beliefs and will never deter our path. People become addicted to their own alignment and belief system. When this belief system is taken away they act like addicts.

And why is America so split in these different divisions? Because that is how they designed it. We can never be truly united if we continue to argue, bicker, and convince others that our side holds the ultimate 'freedom' (because isn't that the entire concept of a belief anyway?). In essence, we can never be free. We are trapped in our own beliefs. And that is how the powers that be wish to keep us.

I mean what's the point of a sheep herder when the sheep herd the sheep?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
United citizens may sound like utopia, but not impossible.

Here in my neighborhood in Tacoma, 5 years ago, none of my neighbors on corner lots had met each other. Some had lived here 10 years or more.

As a single person, I was able to introduce all of my neighbors to each other over a period of time. When we started having crime issues, we made our vehicle descriptions known to each other so that we could identify possible
problems. This collaboration in a community effort spread through the neighborhood and it was effective. We have been able to thwart 3 would be burglars, and caught a major theft ring dealing with cars and houses.

So utopia yes. Idealistic. Yes. But those are the goals, and they served as shooting points to attain in an otherwise non-effort situation. An effort left to a police cruiser driving through neighborhoods on call who doenst know all of the local vehicles.

Anyone can do nothing. And while these guys werent terrorists on a national scale, they were terrorists to my family and neighbors. And thats reason enough to be proactive. And it worked.

In the military, when your on a mission, it isnt up to just one man to identify all intruders. Its teamwork. America always wants a dial up, pay to order solution that limits our busy lives in terms of interaction. That isolation of leaving it to the other guy, is why the world can seem so impersonal and ineffective at times. We live in a personal bubble call " my right to privacy "
that translates sometimes into " whatever they are up to is none of my business " . Community interaction builds community spirit and awareness regardless of the location. Before one dismisses the concept, try it for once.

Peace

[edit on 26-4-2005 by HIFIGUY]

[edit on 26-4-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
HiFiGuy,

It is good to see that community spirit is not yet dead.

As a victim of housebreakings on 3 seperate occasions I am pleased to see you have prevented some of these.

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
so the silver bullit for terrorisim is parinoya is it? interesting thought. you realy should talk to some of the old russions, they realy had parinoya down pat. heck the head of the kgb purportedly had to try to hide his office so parinoid was he. stalian killed millions all in the name of his parinoia. yup parinoia is the way to go. oh he looks suspicious guss we better shoot him just to be sure.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Drogo,

As I have said many times on this site.

Some folks in power have been reading 1984 by George Orwell just a bit too much.

They like the ideas and are trying to implement them.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Heres a scenario HIFIGUY, you're in a McDonalds', a man walks in (eastern of course) he seems to be sweating profusely as he looks about, but is wearing a suit jacket and looks professional. You notice he is holding something in his hand. You have your kids with you. What are you going to do?

There's a lot more realistic reasons not to eat McDonalds.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
We've had 30 year to get used to terrorism (funded, mainly by our American cousins). Try leaving a bag unattended on a tube train for more than a minute and you'll see what I mean!

In my experience the US is very poor at internal security and particularly airport security - it was a complete joke before, now it's still not ideal.

Protecting yourself from terrorism IS about 100% vigilance, asking who's bag it is etc etc. Not giving every copper an M-16, putting troops on the streets & hoping you'll bump into Osama.

Oh and it also means no parking, no litter bins, intalling lots of surveillance & number plate recognition sytems etc etc

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Now that this post have been up for a good two months, do most of you know your neighbors vehicles? Would you even know if someone was breaking into your neighbors car? I bet most people would pass on by.

How about at work. Humans are victims of laziness and habit. On a day to day basis, we are pretty much business as usual. Its looking for the oddities on a day to day basis that is the tough part.

America is a very large country. Like Russia, and China, its the culture and the community that makes the fabric to control elements such as terrorism, and on a smaller scale, smaller local crime.

You cant shoot terrorists from helicopters. There isnt going to be a day that we say yehaw, we got them all. The day needs to be where terrorism is an anomoly as opposed to an organized effort against a common cause.

That is the problem that we face. But when the organized cause fractures into local communitys to carry out their efforts, the best eyes there are yours and mine. Call me paranoid. It doenst hurt to have a heads up.

Peace

[edit on 2-7-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Terrorists are over hyped.

How many big attacks since 9/11?

Two.

Thats not very impressive work for groups that are supposed to threaten the fabric of society.

The real silver bullet of terrorism os not to be afraid. If you dont fear them then there failing. People panicking, trying to memorise the names and faces of everyone on the street distracts people from living their lives.

Beat terrorism: Have a few beers, put a good film on and relax.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Its about where we live and work. And when a Tim Mcveigh or a 911 comes along, the " oh my god , how could this have happened factor " comes out. Most of the time these werent off the cuff events.

And what is terrorism? Like I said earlier, local car theft and burglary are terrorism on a local scale in my book. It poses problems and hardship on a local level. And like I said before, if your tight locally, your tight nationally.

Kind of a cause and effect.

Ignorance in this matter means its up to someone else.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join