It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sure most of you know about this but...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Under the No Child Left Behind Act, if you attend a public high school, your school system is required to turn over your private information to the US military unless you opt out. Sec 9528 of The No Child Left Behind Act gives you the right to opt out by turning in a form signed by your guardian or parent stating that you do not want the military to have access to your private information.

Section 9528 of the No Child Left Behind Act can be found here:
www.ed.gov...

And a opt-out form may be found at this link:
www.militaryfreezone.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thank you Midnight, I did not know that.

However I did read an article the other day that some states are passing laws that let the schools operate without using the no child left behind laws. I think it was Utah?

Anyway.....I want to check on my state. Any Ideas how to find out if my state is using no child left behind?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Been that way with Federal funds for 10 years at least...

SUMMARY: The Department of Defense promulgates the rule addressing military recruiting and Reserve Officer Training Corps program access at institutions of higher education. This rule implements the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1995, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996, and the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act, 1997 (the Acts).

The Acts state that no funds available under appropriations acts for any fiscal year for the Departments of Defense, Transportation (with respect to military recruiting), Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies may be provided by contract or grant (including a grant of funds to be available for student aid) to a covered school that has a policy or practice (regardless of when implemented) that either prohibits, or in effect prevents, the Secretary of Defense from obtaining, for military recruiting purposes, entry to campuses, access to students on campuses, access to directory information on students, or that has an anti-ROTC policy.

[edit on 4/22/2005 by eaglewingz]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
But, at least with this, you can opt-out of the information disclosing. I figured being informed was better than not being.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The only saving grace is the fact that students can opt out to ensure there details are kept private.
Students should be handed a opt out form on the first day of school.
Perhaps Schools should be able to sell the details about students who dont opt out that way they might earn back some of the income they lost in the US budget.
opps I forgot the whole point of education is to keep the population dumb so they wont question the government.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
All my children are grown but when the first military recruiter called I asked them how they got my child's name and phone number, he explained that the school gave them a list of students. At that moment I told him the government did not carry that child for nine months, he was unimpressed so then I began to tell him the details of that child's birth from the moment of labor straight on through, for some reason this guy kept trying to get off the phone, finally by the time I was only a third of the way through with the story, this would be just after the enema, he said he had a very important call coming through he had to take. I told him to please call back I wanted to finish telling him the story, can you believe it he never called back?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
1. This is nothing new

2. How is the military any different than Colleges and Universities?
You do realize they have the same access the military does, don't you?

I know people like to rail on the military, but these people fail to realize the military is an excellent (if not the best) option for kids who can't afford to go to college.
And if you don't want to go into the military....just say no. It's as simple as that. I remember when the recruiters called me coming out of high school, I just told them I was going to college...and that was that. No need to go into long stories about how you or your children were born. Just say no thanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I told him to please call back I wanted to finish telling him the story, can you believe it he never called back?

That's TOO funny. I'm going to try it with the next telemarketer!

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
the military is an excellent (if not the best) option for kids who can't afford to go to college.

ah, so only the poor people go into the military? and the fact when the RICH politicans send troops into war they dont have to worry about killing thier own kind?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
ah, so only the poor people go into the military?

1. I didn't say that
2. You don't have to be poor to not be able to afford college. Have you looked into how much college costs nowadays?

and the fact when the RICH politicans send troops into war they dont have to worry about killing thier own kind?

That a question or a statement?

I'm not sure what the point of your post was and how it was relevant to the subject...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird.
And if you don't want to go into the military....just say no. It's as simple as that. I remember when the recruiters called me coming out of high school, I just told them I was going to college...and that was that. No need to go into long stories about how you or your children were born. Just say no thanks.

I have had friends who said no time and time again and they still called, as a matter of fact I had already spoken to them and asked them not to call, they kept calling something about her absfab (sp) test scores being so high, so just saying no does not always work, they wanted her and just refused to understand that I did not care how good the deal was that they were offering. I was wise to the so called deal due to the fact that hubby took that deal, they were going to train him to do all kinds of great things, when he got to boot camp they asked for those orders they had thats the great deal he had in writing, they tore it up in front of him and laughed at him.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Mining for kids: Children can’t “opt out” of Pentagon recruitment database

Parents cannot remove their children’s names from a Pentagon database that includes highly personal information used to attract military recruits, the Vermont Guardian has learned...

The No Child Left Behind Act requires schools to report the names, addresses, and phone numbers of secondary school students to recruiters, but the law also specifies that parents or guardians may write a letter to the school asking that their children’s names not be released.

However, many parents have reported being surprised that their children are contacted anyway, according to a San Francisco-based coalition called Leave My Child Alone (LMCA).

“We hear from a lot of parents who have often felt quite isolated about it all and haven’t been aware that this is happening all over the country,” said the group’s spokeswoman, Felicity Crush...

An outstanding article.... Note the following admission from a pentagon spokeswoman:

Parents must contact the Pentagon directly to ask that their children’s information not be released to recruiters, but the data is not removed from the JAMRS database, according to Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke, a Pentagon spokeswoman.

:shk:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So it's kind of like the opt-out in spam messages. It doesn't actually do anything, and often just gets you more spam.

It should be an opt-in system ONLY. They have no right to take the information and form a database of it without permission.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Not to be too harsh here, but why would the US military (the most technoligically advanced military on earth) want a bunch of AMERICAN kids handling high explosives!?!?!? Have you seen our test scores compared to Asian students? It's abysmal, I'm beginning to beelive that the next generation of Americans are going to truly be the dumbest race on the planet.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
They have no standards because teachers have no accountability, they are unionized, they have no competition. They have nothing to work for, they dont care, they want more money, they produce less, TEACHERS ARE LOSERS. Plain and simple.

Train

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The dumbing down of our children is appalling, and vaccination programs are majorily responsible for that. I never got vaccinations when I was in school.

I dont like the future for this country. Our children have turned into kids who sit in front of the TV half the day, and go on the computer to blow away terrorists and commit grand theft auto the other half.

I wonder if our ''entertainment'' industry has any involvement in the dumbing down of our kids...I think it does.

Why dont they teach the US constitution in schools anymore? Why dont they teach about civil rights? Or government corruption? Why dont we learn things that matter. No, lets learn how to type. Lets learn volleyball......

Additives in food and water i think also play a part in the dumbing down of our children.

And just who is dumbing them down, and why?

Just like why do they call TV shows ''programs''? And who are the ones getting programmed? And for what?

The last thing you'd want if you are a corrupt government is a fully awake, alert, intelligent population......

But the hell with all that, lets watch the SUPERBOWL!

[edit on 5-2-2006 by LetKnowledgeDrop]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
LetKnowledgeDrop: The entertainment industry is responsible and so is our education system.

I'm assuming your questions regarding the absense of education on the constitution and civil rights is a rhetorical question, but I'm still going to answer. They don't teach those things beyond a rudimentary level for the very obvious reason that if they aren't given a strong focus in school, people will ignore them later in life. A populace who doesn't pay attention to their rights and the Constitution allow the government to get away with nearly anything.

And note that I have no problem with typing and even volleyball being taught. Kids need to learn useful skills and have fun as well. It just all needs to be balanced.

Regarding TV "programs", my dictionary says the word program comes "via late Latin from Greek progamma, from prographein 'write publicly'..." Perhaps just an extension of that? A public video rather than a public text? I'm afraid I don't know the actual origin of the phrase for television. I'll ask around.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
its almost like they need seperation of Government and State. Well lets face it the government is already acting like that but ohh well. It pretty funny how much the recruiters Lie. I was 18 when I approached by a recruiter, he said that he had heard alot about my academic achivements in my senoir year of high school and how much my teachers said i was a joy in class and all the other ramblings. I let this continue for awhile and then he said that He knew about the scholarship that I was looking over right now. I couldnt help myself., I was laughing so damn hard when he said that the Military was there for the taking and how loyal to the American people they are, I asked then why does the Government and the Military lie to which he stated that they didnt. Imagine his suprise when i told him, I dropped out of high school my junior year and took The G.E.D so I could spend my time wothwhile instead of waiting for some moron to tell me another lie.

Dumbing down the American people especially in schools has been real apparent to me since the 7th Grade.

Teacher: Can you name the 2 American presidents that were assassinated while in office???

ME: Dont you mean which four?

Teacher: There were only two Kennedy and Lincoln

Me: No there were four, kennedy, lincoln, garfield and McKinley

Teacher: We'll thats not what the curriculum says....

Its funny that we are not only dumbing down our "future" we have accomplished the dumbing down of those meant to teach them. And yes the media and the entertainment Industry play a vital part in this as well.

"If you repeat a lie over and over again it eventually is accepted as the truth"---forgive me for I do not remember the actual quote nor the person whom stated it

top topics

join