It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Got Jesus?" An expression of faith (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Extreme Christian Clothing in Lawrence, Kansas has been in the midst of controversy for some of the t-shirts it sells. T-shirts proclaiming, "Got Jesus?", "Satan Sucks", "My God can kick your god's butt", and "Take me to your leader" which depicts aliens holding a cross on the front are among some of their best sellers.

Erin Mahoney, a clerk at the store, has said the store has received hate mail because of their product line.

Store owner, Lori Devins said, "Our shirts are a little extreme, but I think God is spreading the word and having youngsters shout out their faith."

I am not a Christian, but that does not mean I think Christians should not be able to express themselves. Various websites have been marketing non-Christian or anti-Christian t-shirts for years. Why shouldn't Christians be allowed to have the same edge to pro-Christian t-shirts? I think that it is appalling that this establishment is receiving hate mail from both non-Christians and Christians alike.

Some of the reference links I'm going to post do contain offensive material. Follow these links at your own risk.

Related News Links:
www.wsoctv.com
www.rottencotton.com
www.tshirthell.com

[edit on 22-4-2005 by deadlynightshade]

[edit on 22-4-2005 by deadlynightshade]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Reminds me of a King of the Hill episode....

Pastor K?

BOBBY: Anybody mind if I say Grace tonight?
HANK: Sure, Bobby.
BOBBY: I wanna give a shout-out to the man who makes it all happen. Props be to you for this most bountiful meal that sits before us. Okay, check it, God, you've got skillz. You represent in these vegetables and in this napkin and in the dirt that grows the grain that makes the garlic breadsticks that are on this table today, yes-shizz.
HANK: Okay, Bobby, God appreciates the support, but I'm sure He wouldn't want the pot roast to get cold. Now let's wrap it up.
BOBBY: Sure thing. Thanks, J-Man. Peace.

PASTOR K: To be tight with the Lord, you gotta take your faith to the limit. You know what I'm talking about?
KID: The power!
PASTOR K: That's right! Nothing runs without power. Your amp is useless unless it gets that juice, and so are we. So you gotta test all things to find the good.
BOBBY: But how do you know what's good?
PASTOR K: It's whatever sticks to your spirit, man, whatever God tattoos on your soul. We're all searching for that eternal ink.

(Bobby is wearing a t-shirt that reads "SATAN SUCKS")
HANK: Bobby, take that off! You can not wear a t-shirt with that word on it.
BILL: Such vulgarity! Wait, which word, Hank, "Satan" or "sucks?"
HANK: Well, either one.
BOBBY: Why not, Dad? Satan does suck.
HANK: I know, but --
DALE: He's right, Hank. What does your t-shirt say? "Satan Rules?"

www.geocities.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is the exact sense of humour that they are trying to convey while making a statement all at the same time. Thanks for the great example.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I for one have no doubt God has a sense of humor. Think about it...we Are his children.
Kids here in Mississippi wear the t-shirts that say "Mary is my HomeGirl" & "Jesus is my Homeboy" These are simple statements saying to the rest of the kids..hey ima believer. I see alot of kids wearing these shirts and proudly at that. It's allmost like they want the rest of the world to know they are strong in their faith. And if that makes them feel good, why piss and moan about it? These people need to stop the whining and be glad we have kids that want to flaunt their spirituality.
Just my two penny's

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
At the same time those shirts sound dumb to me, I also cant see much problem with them... its just another "Fashion Statement", i guess... but reaaly .."GOT JESUS" ????? puuuulleeezzeee...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

My God can kick your god's butt

How primitive and ironic.

About a trillion people have died because of both sides making that statement.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So what if they sound dumb to you, though? Why shouldn't people be able to have them, if they like them? Or, is the fear that people may walk into a public building with a T-Shirt saying, "God Rulez, Satan Droolz" (dunno if that one exists) and suddenly force everyone in the building to convert to Christianity.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This isn't about if the slogans are "stupid" or not, nor is it about the fear of converting others to ones faith. It's about the simple right for people to express themselves, and the apparent desire to suppress that right.

Let them wear it. Lord knows there's enough anti-Christian t-shirts out there. I think it's about time that some of the Christians had the opportunity to wear their own t-shirts expressing their own faith with the same edge of these anti-Christian t-shirts.

I'm not a Christian myself. I'm saying this because I'm a humanist.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

So what if they sound dumb to you, though? Why shouldn't people be able to have them, if they like them?

Who suggests that they be outlawed?

is the fear that people may walk into a public building with a T-Shirt saying, "God Rulez, Satan Droolz" (dunno if that one exists) and suddenly force everyone in the building to convert to Christianity

In lawrence kansas? I'd wager that everyone in the building's already a christian anyway.
Hell, the only time I've seen the 'my god cna kick your god's butt' type things, its been by non-christians who were trying ot point out that that kind of thinking is assinine.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well who is to judge how you should make money off your faith? if is there to make a buck, Be Jesus, Mary and God hey lest make money.

Everything can be sold for the right price even faith.

Everything can be bought for the right amount of money even salvation.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Everything can be bought for the right amount of money even salvation.

That is absurd no one and I mean no one can buy deliverance from destruction, difficulty, or evil.

[edit on 4/29/2005 by shots]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots:

That is absurd no one and I mean no one can by deliverance from destruction, difficulty, or evil.

But people have sure as hell been trying for years. Isn't the concept of donation to the church more along the lines of "donate more, and you'll be that closer to salvation" in many churches? Take a look at the more evangelical churches - always asking for large checks, and people signing over half or more of their paychecks in hopes of salvation.

Fact is, salvation doesn't come from church, or even religion. It comes from within. Once someone can learn to be happy within themselves, then they can truly be "saved." Willpower is a very strong thing.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by obsidian468]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm not a Christian or anything but I don't see a problem with wearing these shirts, just because one believes in God doesn't mean you can't have a sense of humor.

Unfortunately these days Christians seem to be getting a bad rep (because of a few loudmouthed obnoxious ones), people fail to see that not all Christians are judgmental freaks and most are not going through life trying to find new people to judge. There are also many Christians who possess logic and realize that separation between church & state is necessary.

My personal favorite that I've heard so far is "Mary is my homegirl & Jesus is my homeboy"
Hell, maybe it would attract more people to Christianity, I've always been more receptive to the Christians who were nonjudging and friendly, you don't see many on ATS but they do exist.

[edit on 4/29/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
who realy cares what someone has printed on a t-shirt? unless of course it is something extreemly raceist, predudist or a "nude" picture. unless someone is wearing a shirt that says something like "death to all arabs". or "all blacks are inferior", then no one should have a problem with it.

we have many things printed on t-shirts thease days, from beer adds to marawana leafs to barny the dinasaur (personaly that one should be made illigal (j/k
). face it it is a form of free speach. i may not agree on what it says but normaly they are either just boreing, funny or stupid. i don't understand why some would have a problem with pro-christian slogans. there are shirts that say "this belly proudly produced by budwizer the king of beers", stupid but why should i care. heck i have even seen t-shirts that are "giveing the finger". let people have some peace, what they wear is their business. if it offends you then just ignore it and get one to counter it.

here women are even alowed to go topless on the streets it is their choice. i remember all the hubbub that women should be free to choose. there were even ralies for that right. guess how many topless girls a saw last year for it's entirety? zero, none, nadda, ziltch. i have only heard about a few cases being observed. i have to laugh they fought so hard for this "right", from all the ralies and reteric that was going on you would have thought that you would be seeing it every day many times. aparently the only thing they wanted was "the right" to do it, other than that very few actualy do it.
in some cases it is a shame that they don't, in some i am glad that they don't, irregaurdless THEY are the ones that decide if they want to or not. just as it should be.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by drogo]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Fact is, salvation doesn't come from church, or even religion. It comes from within. Once someone can learn to be happy within themselves, then they can truly be "saved." Willpower is a very strong thing

Oh I agree with you it does come from with that was the point I was trying to make, however the author that made the comment apprently feels you can buy it when we all know you can't. The very same goes for faith, you cannot buy it for any price since it too comes from within.

Back on topic, who cares what is put on a tshirt as long it is not crude lewd or nude>

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think those who protest these T-shirts should find something better to do. There have to be more important issues they should spend their time on instead. They obviously don´t have any sense of humour. Some people seem have dedicated their lifes to make life miserable and boring for the rest of us. Go help some homeless people instead or something. Stop wasting time on this.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
EXACLTY!!!! I couldn't have said it better. The point I was driving home was that even though I am not of the Christian religion, I still think they should be allowed to express themselves, just like everyone else. I kind if found it disgusting that the hate mail was not just from non-Christians, but but followers of the same religion. Go figure!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
EXACLTY!!!! I couldn't have said it better. The point I was driving home was that even though I am not of the Christian religion, I still think they should be allowed to express themselves, just like everyone else. I kind if found it disgusting that the hate mail was not just from non-Christians, but but followers of the same religion. Go figure!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Shots it seems to me that you have a thing for my post, I guess you don't like me but guess what I don't care.

By the way my "wise mother" is the one that said to me.........."people think that salvation can be bought with money.......the more money they put in the collection basket the closer they thing they are to achieved it."

I find my mother more wiser that you will ever be.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Shots it seems to me that you have a thing for my post, I guess you don't like me but guess what I don't care.

By the way my "wise mother" is the one that said to me.........."people think that salvation can be bought with money.......the more money they put in the collection basket the closer they thing they are to achieved it."

I find my mother more wiser that you will ever be.

Marg I do not have a thing for your posts it is the content you put in them.

No offense but, salvation and faith can not I repeat can not be be bought for any price.

Now if you feel it can be bought please explain just how one can buy salvation?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join