It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR:Copter crash survivor executed by insurgents on video

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The Army of the Mujahideen, who claimed to have shot down the recent copter carrying Eleven people -- six Americans, three Bulgarians and two Fijians, have released a video showing the execution of one survivor from the crash. The man was found in the high grass near the crash site and was forced to stand up. He was then forced to move, and with an apparent broken leg, he began to limp across the field. The camera man then instructed the shooter to wait a moment while he zoomed in and the shooter opened fire. 15 rounds were fired into the injured victim, even after he fell to the ground. The voice in the background could be heard shouting "We are applying God's law."

www.cnn.com
Only one person seems to have survived the crash but he was apparently shot dead by insurgents who found him near the wreckage.

Video appearing to show a commercial helicopter being shot down north of Baghdad on Thursday was aired Friday by the Arabic-language TV network Al Jazeera.

CNN could not immediately confirm its authenticity.

The video showed an MI-8 helicopter flying low and away from the camera. Two loud blasts were followed by the helicopter erupting in flames and falling to the ground with a trail of thick, black smoke.

While the source of this video was not immediately known, Al Jazeera said it was distributed by The Army of the Mujahideen and that group's logo was seen in the upper right corner of the screen. Al Jazeera's anchor said that group was claiming responsibility for the shootdown.

The emergence of this video and claim comes a day after another insurgent group -- The Islamic Army in Iraq -- said it downed the helicopter carrying 11 civilians and shot to death the lone survivor.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The executed victim was identified by Mihail Mihailov, manager of the Heli Air company, as the pilot of the copter. The rest of the crash victims were transported to the Balad Air Base. The Islamic militants claim they executed the surviving crew member in in revenge for the Muslims killed in the mosques of Fallujah.” This is believed to be in reference to the marine shooting of the alleged wounded Iraqi in the Fallujah mosque back in November of 2004.

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com
www.google.com
www.google.com

[edit on 22-4-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The American behavior of Abu Garib and the supposedly mercy killing in the Fallujah Temple leave us open for this kind of retaliation. I know that plenty of you still find ways to justify our behavior and villify everything anti-American, but were not clean, in this.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The American behavior of Abu Garib and the supposedly mercy killing in the Fallujah Temple leave us open for this kind of retaliation. I know that plenty of you still find ways to justify our behavior and villify everything anti-American, but were not clean, in this.

and ignorant rhetoric such as this is why the continued violence is growing. There is war, and there is sensless murder. If you have a weapon, or are close to a waepon in a heated battle, you are fair game. I will not attmept to justify a Marine shooting an injured Iraqi soldier, but I sure as hell will protest the cold-blooded execution of a pilot, no matter the country he is from. This was not a US warhips these cowards shot down either. I would like to see them toe to toe with an Apache.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So you're saying the pilot's life is worth more than the wounded, iraqi soldier's? Now that's ignorant rhetoric. It's war if we do the killing, but not if they shoot down a helicopter transporting warriers. And it's not rhetoric that's escalating the violence, it's the supposed war on terror, and when it comes to violence, nothing has matched our little Shock and Awe campaigne.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by kazi]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't see a big difference between firing an AA missile at the chopper (with the clear intent to kill) or firing a gun at the survivor. It doesn't prove anything except the obvious statement that yes, they attacked.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Aelita]

link   
The day the mujahideen will be on trial, i'll bet they'll choose John Ashcroft as attorney and defend themselves with arguing that

1. the executed person was not a civilian, but a contractor for the enemy
2. was not a soldier
3. Geneva Conventions only distinguish between soldiers and civilians

hence the Geneva Conventions do not apply...

brilliant!

[edit on 22-4-2005 by krotzkrotz]

link   

Originally posted by kazi

You do give America a lot of credit, don't you? American actions have the ability to take away free will, and force someone to act in a way. They're not personally responsable for their actions, America is because America forced them to want to kill civilians and wounded civilians.

You credit the US with way more power than it has.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

What do you mean that we're "not clean, in this?" Who isn't? The wounded civilian helicopter pilot that was made to walk on a broken leg and now has 15 bullet holes in him? That one man has the guilt of a nation on his shoulders? Give me a break. Retaliation is a weak excuse - those filthy murderous savages just wanted to kill someone.

Oh, but they're applying "God's law."

Zip

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

It's war if we do the killing, but not if they shoot down a helicopter transporting warriers.

Define warrier (sic)

There were no soldiers on that copter.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yes, a civilian pilot is not an injured insurgent. I would put this next to attacking a UN medical truck.

I know that there has been civilian casualty in Iraq, as that has been in every conflict, but even during our shock and awe there was limited collateral damage.

No life is worth more than another persons....

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
We'd have peace if it wasn't for that pesky God fellow.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The Army of the Mujahideen

There is no "Mujahideen" in Iraq. The force in Iraq is a mish-mash of foreign terrorists, foreign mercs, former Baathists, and Iraqi malcontents. For them to be recognized as an entity, they'd have to conform to some basic practices of recognized forces, which so far, they've failed to do.

They are a bunch of murdering cut-throats who kidnap, terrorize, and butcher innocent civilians, women, etc. deliberately and with the express purpose of malice.

To call them "Mujahideen" is both an insult to the victims, and to true Mujahideen as well...

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

To call them "Mujahideen" is both an insult to the victims, and to true Mujahideen as well...

Gazrok, are you a true Mojahed ?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Zipdot--you make my case for me with your statement about them being filty savages. The nerve of them to fight back.

That's just weird--6 of the casualties worked for Blackwater Security.Have you ever seen how many weapons those guysa can pile on their bodies. That makes that helicopter, not equivenent to a medical copter but more like a blackhawk full of warriers.

Get over it--were just as ugly as the opposition, and we started the fight, even though you still believe Bush's propaganda about 9/11 and WMD.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Get over it--were just as ugly as the opposition, and we started the fight, even though you still believe Bush's propaganda about 9/11

That's a valid statement; Bush actually had the World Trade Center painted to match the background and had all the workers killed. The towers were never hit by planes and fell. That was all Republican propaganda because, as we all know, Republicans are the root of all evil and anyone who does something someone might find wrong, like taking an injured pilot and shooting him 15 times after making him walk a bit on a broken leg is all Republican's fault.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Zipdot--you make my case for me with your statement about them being filty savages. The nerve of them to fight back.

That's just weird--6 of the casualties worked for Blackwater Security.Have you ever seen how many weapons those guysa can pile on their bodies. That makes that helicopter, not equivenent to a medical copter but more like a blackhawk full of warriers.

Get over it--were just as ugly as the opposition, and we started the fight, even though you still believe Bush's propaganda about 9/11 and WMD.

You are generalizing and assuming things. Don't tell us what we think. I was calling these specific savage murderers filthy, not the whole Iraqi irregular whatevers (soldiers? meh).

My point is, I wouldn't call this "fighting back" as you say it is. This is kind of like, your brother gets beaten up by some fat kid at school after your brother calls the kid a fat stupid ignoramus, so you go punch the fat guy's little sister at recess in revenge. Or something.

Zip

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
OK gang, let's remember that this is the news forum.

Decorum folks.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

There is no "Mujahideen" in Iraq. The force in Iraq is a mish-mash of foreign terrorists, foreign mercs, former Baathists, and Iraqi malcontents. For them to be recognized as an entity, they'd have to conform to some basic practices of recognized forces, which so far, they've failed to do.

They are a bunch of murdering cut-throats who kidnap, terrorize, and butcher innocent civilians, women, etc. deliberately and with the express purpose of malice.

Just taken from the article. No harm intended.

While the source of this video was not immediately known, Al Jazeera said it was distributed by The Army of the Mujahideen and that group's logo was seen in the upper right corner of the screen. Al Jazeera's anchor said that group was claiming responsibility for the shootdown.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

So the behavior of a group of a handful of soldiers is justification for this sort of atrocity? Surely no one is justifying the behavior of the soldiers at the Abu Garib prison and as for the mercy killings you reference I assume you are reffering to the one iraqi soldier that was killed by the american soldier that was reaching for a gun. Anyways the above does not justify the helicopter incident.

What you said doesn't make much sence at all Kazi you really need to think about what you are saying.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
zip--your anology of the fat bully doesn't make any sense. But my point is--we've killed as many, if not more, innocents than the insurgents. We just write about the innocents they kill.

Helicopters are fair game and our pentagon knows it. Those people in that helicopter knew what the dangers were, that's why we pay those Blackwater Security people 2 grand, and more, a day. Iraq is a dangerous place and until our military can win this war, that's what Rumsfield said our stragety was, to win the war, people are gonna die on both sides. And were gonna kill innocents, and so are they.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join