It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Scientist: 'Mars Could be Biologically Alive'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
space.com...

BOULDER, Colorado – Evidence for intense local enhancements in methane on Mars has been bolstered by ground-based observations. The methane, as well as water on Mars, was detected using state-of-the-art infrared spectrometers stationed atop Mauna Kea, Hawaii and in Cerro Pachón, Chile.

Scientific teams around the globe are on the trail of methane seeping out of Mars. And for good reason: The methane could be the result of biological processes. It could also be an "abiotic" geochemical process, however, or the result of volcanic or hydrothermal activity on the red planet.

Many types of microbes here on Earth produce a signature of methane. Indeed, the tiny fraction of atmospheric carbon found as methane on our planet is churned out almost entirely biologically with only a very small contribution from abiotic processes, scientists say.

METHANE CONFIRMED!!!

'Mars Could be Biologically Alive'

wow...

what will christians say about this???

did God create this life???

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
No, God did not create it. No reason to assume it's life, and since there's no God...

It's actually a reall cool find. I read about this earlier, and it's a great find. Even if there's no life found (as I suspect there won't be) it's a great test run, as well as a good find geologically.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
what will christians say about this???

did God create this life???

I doubt fanatics will bother, since the claim is that God created ALL life.

I mean, the aliens probably wont agree, but that doesnt mean christians wont say it

Its a nice find anyway. Confirms what has been known for a long time now... Next we just need confirmation of life (again).

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The interesting thing about the Methane found in the Martian atmosphere, is that it is localized and not evenly distributed. The Methane concentrations are found in specific areas that thus far do not show detectable signs of volcanic activity. Now, just because we can not detect volcanism, doesn't mean that it isn't happening, but there are some other interesting bits of Data that also point to life as being a possible source.

The general areas where the methane concentrations are highest tend to be in the warmer latitudes where there would thus also be a greater chance of liquid water being found under the surface. We know that this type of bacterial methane generation takes place here on Earth quite commonly. We don't yet have a good model of how it could take place on Mars if it was entirely of geological origin when you consider the amounts of methane being produced. Given that the methane generation thus far seems to arise in a limited area, it poses some interesting questions that we need to examine and study further.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Interesting and Amorymeltzer its impossible too proof that god exists or not so keep to i dont think god exists.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Great news
I'm always up for new scientific discovery and especailly in astronomy and astro biology considering they are both feilds I know a great deal about it.

Now its funny because in my school I am most likely the strongest catholic we have. I have never felt that finding life else ware would destroy the faith. I always felt that it would further gloryify the mysteries of God's creations and much like in the bible he chose the Jews for the "Choesen people" humanity could just as simply be "The chosen race"

Christans don't hate science in fact the officals embrace it contray to commonbelief. Thats a past notion when cathoics and christans feared scientific discovery.

But this isn't an anti christatain science thread this is about life on mars. And if its there F'in A

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
glad you ATSers like this news...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Really interesting news...!

And about the god thing: If humans believe that a god (i prefer higher entity) only cares and worries about humans and earth than we are pretty dumb ans selfish. We are just a small part in a HUGE system. Maybe this will change someday...but currently it is that way..

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Christans don't hate science in fact the officals embrace it contray to commonbelief. Thats a past notion when cathoics and christans feared scientific discovery.

yup ture ture. I like to keep my religon and love for science seperate.
I think its amazing that we have actually found that there is a strong chance of life on another planet though

new topics

top topics

join