It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sgt. Copeland III receives Navy Cross for Valor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. This one is a big, tough Marine who led five comrades out of the kill zone during an enemy ambush nearly a year ago. When his CO was hit, he shielded the man with his body while giving first aid, quite possibly saving a sixth life while he earned the Navy's second highest award for bravery under fire.

deseretnews.com
Utah Marine receives Navy Cross for heroism

He shielded officer, led 5 out of heavy fire, killed 10 enemy
By Seth Hettena
Associated Press

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — When his platoon was ambushed in an attack by insurgents in Iraq a year ago, Utah Marine Sgt. Willie L. Copeland III took charge.

He led five Marines out of the heaviest fire, found cover and killed 10 of the enemy in close combat. When his commanding officer fell wounded, Copeland used his body to shield the officer as he administered first aid.
For his leadership and dedication to duty, the 26-year-old whose family lives in Smithfield received the Navy Cross on Thursday, the Navy's second-highest honor.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

True heroes like Sgt. Willie L. Copeland III deserve great respect and recognition. Embarassed by all the attention, he just wants to get back at his job. All in a days work to him. It is truly men and women like him, with the intestinal fortitude to gut out difficult, life threatening situations, that make the US the blessed nation that it always has been, and still, always can be with elightened leadership behind the will of a united populace.

Related News Links:
kutv.com

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why can't we see more good news like this instead of just bad news like murder, war, rape, etc.? Personally, I like good news stories.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I submitted this story. I think it needs to be voted up. Not just because this guy is a hero. But because I've stared death in the face to protect my fellow man, too, and said not just not me, but not us, not today.

Its the aftermath that takes the real toll.

I want to meet Sgt. Copeland III personally and thank him for enduring all the suffering he will never admit to for saving all those soldiers in that ambush. My actions were no where near as heroic or traumatic as his, but still, I understand what he must be going through. He represents every individual who has ever laid down his life for his fellow man and lived to tell (and suffer) about it. I think he deserves the Medal of Honor.

new topics

join