It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singapore Drops Eurofigther From Bid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is a surprise.

www.reuters.com...

F-15 and Rafale left any thoughts to winner?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Rafale all the way.

I suspect french lobbying must be the reason for dropping the EF

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think the new F-15 with AESA would be better, because it's cheaper and has better radar and range than Rafale. But it's really questionable if Singapore needs such big long range planes.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
In terms of tech and quality the F-15 is better but its expensive and hard to maintain. Unless you need a lot of force projection the F-15 is not for you, so I think they will probably pick the Rafale.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hmm wonder why they dropped it?
Strange.....

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
This is a surprise.

- Really? Do you think?

I am not in the least bit surprised that Typhoon is looking more and more likely not to be sold outside of the original constructing/ordering countries and maybe a couple of places like Australia, New Zealand.

It's too expensive, advanced and hi-tech for anyone else to try to justify on grounds of 'need' IMO.

......and even if there was a decent case presented I doubt we'd want to sell that kind of tech outside of the '1st (military) world' anyway.

I expect this phenomenon to become more and more apparant as time goes by. The 2nd and 3rd (military) world might get Rafales but more likely Mirages, Hawks, F16's, F18's etc but none of anybodies' real latest 'first division' stuff.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well, Singapore does have AH-64D Apache Longbow helicopters, FWIW.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
What a surprise. Malaysian Su-30s are probably a big threat to the other contenders, and Typhoons are the only planes which can guarantee the relative safety of the RSAF. Until then, they are still using F-16s, F-5s and Skyhawks.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is what i learnt after reading Straits Time (april 22) :
The ministry said that EF-2000 commited schedule for delivery and the fighter's system did not meet the requirements of RSAF.
This could also because although more than 600 typhoons have been ordered, none are in front line service, as opposed to both the Rafale and the BATTLE-TESTED F-15 Eagle.

Look what we may be getting now : a fighter that is not getting enough fund from its own government for further system development, and a 30 years old plane that lost in an exercise with to IAF Su-30MKI(Indonesian and Malaysian Air Force have Su-30 too).

Anyway why this turn up in ATS forum, not like we buying a big deal of fighters.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   

and a 30 years old plane that lost in an exercise with to IAF Su-30MKI

Oh... for gods sake, how many times do we have to explain this?!
The F-15 in the India exercise did not have AESA radar nor did they have the Aim-120 missile. All the F-15 was armed with was 30year old Doppler radar and Aim-9 missiles.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
So when will there be another exercise which the F-15 with the really advanced avionics and systems will pit against Su-30?

Juz worried about our air superiority...Su-30 is a machine got to be reckon with

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by Jezza
This is a surprise.

- Really? Do you think?

I am not in the least bit surprised that Typhoon is looking more and more likely not to be sold outside of the original constructing/ordering countries and maybe a couple of places like Australia, New Zealand.

It's too expensive, advanced and hi-tech for anyone else to try to justify on grounds of 'need' IMO.

......and even if there was a decent case presented I doubt we'd want to sell that kind of tech outside of the '1st (military) world' anyway.

I expect this phenomenon to become more and more apparant as time goes by. The 2nd and 3rd (military) world might get Rafales but more likely Mirages, Hawks, F16's, F18's etc but none of anybodies' real latest 'first division' stuff.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

Third World?Hmm..considering the RSAF has the best force projection capability within the South East Asian region, with AWACs, Longbow Helos, LHDs and also a participant in the JSF project..i don't think so man..

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazerLordz
Third World?Hmm..considering the RSAF has the best force projection capability within the South East Asian region, with AWACs, Longbow Helos, LHDs and also a participant in the JSF project..i don't think so man..

- I thought I went out of my way to make it clear I was talking military 2nd and 3rd world.

I had thought it pretty clear I was not making using the term "2 or 3rd world" in the economic way they are usually used.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well i think the F15 airframe is a bit too old. The rafale is better. I would choose the Typhoon myself.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

The RSAF is not getting any F-35’s, at lest to my knowledge.

So when will there be another exercise which the F-15 with the really advanced avionics and systems will pit against Su-30?

Juz worried about our air superiority...Su-30 is a machine got to be reckon with

I’m not saying its not a good fighter, but we don't know how it will bare up against a fully equipped F-15. And I don't know if or when an upgraded F-15 will face off against a Su-30. An upcoming India Vs. US exercise will have IAF Su-30’s against USAF F-16.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Singapore dropped out of JSF project?! I'm not aware of that! I muz not have been reading the papers!

BTW, F-16s(RSAF) have already pit against IAF Su-30 last year, though official results were not released.

Not only RMAF has Su-30, it also has F/A-18 and MiG-29( both about 18 jets each). Meanwhile RSAF has about 60+ F-16s(think we juz gave away some a/b models away). Its involvement in JSF(first Asian country to do so) is a good news.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by NotheRaGe]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Never mind Singapore is still in the JSF program and has asked for early delivery of the F-35 from 2012 and on. I had Singapore mistaken with another nation.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
The problem is, the Russians are very generous with their equipment, while the US are not really that generous, meaning the Malaysians/Indonesians with their Su-30s armed with R-77s WILL pose a big threat to F-15s without AESAs (Singapore,remember?) armed with AIM-120s. In a simulation, for every 1 Su-35 lost, 1.3 Eagles were lost, all these considering BVR combat and equal pilot training, and the AESA radar, and also, the Su-30 is a step ahead from the Su-35 and Su-37.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
So which fighters are on par or better than the Su-30s(except F-22)?
Why does Singapore refrain from buying Russian jets?

[edit on 24-4-2005 by NotheRaGe]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
To maintain a good relationship with the US, obviously

For something on par with the Su-30, maybe the JSF, but that will only be around in 2012, until then I would say get the Eurofighter or maybe Rafale (still prefer Eurofighter, those damn french
) to close the gap on the Su-30s, since F-16s with AMRAAMs will not match up to Su-30s even with R-27s instead of R-77s.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join