It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of Bigfoot Sightings are in..Maryland?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Been doing some cryptozoology reading. I have found several crypto/bigfoot sites that state that the majority of Bigfoot sightings have been in Maryland! I thought the Sasquatch was a northwest thing..mainly at least. After doing more reading on east coast crypto a very frightening amount of crypto has long standing roots throughout Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas. Does anyone have any more info on this? Living in MS-13 territory is bad enough let alone having to worry about things like The Virgina Devil Monkey jumping out of the dense treelines and woods around here while on late night drives down old dark Virginia country roads.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
how dense is the populations there? ive never been so i dunno.

I dont see why there are not more sightings (if they are real) in norther canada, ie north bc sask alberta manitoba ontario.

I guess mainly because there is not much for access to the areas. plenty of dense forests etc.

i compare bigfoot sightings to cougar sightings. we know cougars exist, but you can try and try and you just dont see them much.

and we know they are out there !

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There's more sightings in maryland that in the places that bigfoot is supposed to live, probably because there is no such thing as bigfoot and rather its a sociological-psychological phenomenon.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
No bigfoot? Yea right. They it or them are out there. What about the cougars that show up in country backyards here in the summer? We dont supposedly have those either and people still deny their existence since no one has caught one before they took off. A good portion of American cryptozoology turns out to be peoples exotic pets that get loose and breed. Many very exotic creatures are smuggled into the US. Always have been and sadly always will be. As I type this a couple thousand wild exotic animals are loose in the US having escaped or just been let go. The Virginia Devil Monkey is supposed to be an orangutang species that escaped somebodies cage a long long time ago that has acclimated to the Virginia swamps.

Text

How about the Florida Skunk Ape? Same thing. Sombodies escaped pets survived and bred somehow. The Florida Skunk Ape from what Ive read is seen quite a bit. Ive seen some very clear and frightening photos. Bigfoot itself may just be the worlds rarest breed of primate and biggest. Sasquatch have probably already been shot or their remains found but whoever came across it most likely had no idea what they were looking at. From what Ive read Sasquatch really dont like us and stay as far away as they can. Their hearing seems to be excellent as the sound of a rifle bolt sends them off in a hurry.

Text

Ill leave you with this. About five years ago in Carroll County Maryland which isnt that far from DC two Carroll County cops and a half a dozen construction workers gave very vivid details about how "Bigfoot" just walked out of a treeline on a heavily wooded construction site, kind of walked around a bit in the open just staring down the men the whole time and casually walked off into another treeline. These guys werent crazy. They gave some of the most detailed descriptions possibly in "Bigfoot" crypto history. It was a Washington Post story and can be found in their archives. The cops said it was over eight feet tall as it walked past construction equipment that gave an excellent idea of scale. Frighteningly the men said its motions and body language was very threatening. I believe most of the construction workers quit that day swearing to never go back. The cops went on leave for a while to keep the story out of the news but from what I know are still serving.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The reason for this oddity has been explained a couple of times in Bigfoot literature, though where I can't remember. It stated (acccording to my fuzzy recollection--please correct me if I'm wrong) that a bunch of researchers in MD got together and made an organized effort to scour the state for sightings, going to newspaper offices and looking in their "morgues" for reports, and checking with local police depts. etc., then tracking down witnesses, talking to neighbors and so forth. After several years of this they'd unearthered many previously unknown reports, and put their state on the map, Bigfootwise.

Probably a similar concerted and persistent effort would yield many new reports in every state (and province). For instance, in this long thread www.bigfootforums.com... on Bigfootforums.com, there are posts by a member who has taken advantage of a new online newspaper archive (pay-site) service (at www.findarticles.com... ) to locate hundreds of previously unknown news reports of various wildman and what-is-its and Bigfoot encounters. (And this archive service is adding a million newspaper pages per month, so there should be many more reports yet to surface.)

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The population here in Northern Virginia where I live is over 1 million. Its pretty crowded. Besides that its some real country out here. When I say woods I dont mean some patch of trees I mean thousands of square miles of jungle thick foliage and some of the most primordial looking swamps and/or wetlands in the country outside of the everglades. Poisonous snakes and nasty things that bite abound. Leading back west to the mysterious Blue Ridge mountains. I work in Manassas Va. The country there is amazing. Drive a few minutes west or southwest and your ears are popping with altitude change and your car loses a few horsepower when the air thins out. The Northern Virginia area is one of the best examples of carving cities and towns out of mountains and swamps youll find anywhere. Remember that DC is built on a swamp.

Text

The Shanandoah Valley is right out of a National Geographic special and anything wild seems possible there. Then theres closeby Luray caverns. Remember "The Dukes of Hazzard"? The guy who played "Cooter"(Ben Jones) lives in or around Luray/Sperry and owns a popular roadside bar. I was on a trip with my ex to the Luray Caverns. We were waaaay up in some mountains and I commented "Man, this looks right out of The Dukes of Hazzard. the next thing you know The General Lee will be racing past us" as soon as I said that we turned a corner and there was The General Lee with Ben Jones himself at the wheel in the parking lot of his roadside bar! There was of course a crowd of people in the parking lot just gawking and taking pics. He did a mean burnout and took off. The car was flawless and looked brand new. It sounded like a NASCAR racer. But no bigfoot. Seeing one of the real General Lees with Ben "Cooter" Jones at the wheel may actually be rarer.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Here's a good site about bigfoot in VA:

www.virginiabigfootresearch.org...

There are a lot of sightings in Maryland, especially in Anne Arundel county in the parks outside Annapolis. Same general area where the snakehead first appeared. Every now and then the Baltimore Sun has an article about a bigfoot sighting over there. I've seen a lot of websites about Md sightings but don't have any bookmarked. I grew up in Baltimore and live across the bay on the shore now so the Md and Va sightings always catch my attention.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I went to a place that had bigfoot sightings. I think it would be cool to see one.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Man, these things are everywhere! I used to like going to the big state parks but now...dont think so.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I live in Pennsylvania. A few years back some people were up in the hills having a keg party when one of the guys took a walk into the bush to
take a pee. He said he he saw something and locked eyes with it .

It was behind some tall bushes. Becoming terrified he began to run and the thing began chasing him, running in an up right position like a human.
It stumbled and continued to chase him but now on four feet.

When he began to approach the party, the campfire and group of people must have scared the thing off because it turned and ran away. A couple of others at the party claim they seen it run off also.

It is interesting to note that here in the part of PA where this is said to have happened is very close (about 10 miles) to a minefire.
Whole towns closed down and relocated because of the mines burning underground. Lots of coal here . Could this be the underground aliens?
Are they really Bigfoot?
Any way for more info on this google Centraila PA minefire.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I live in South Jersey and have heard of and read of quite a few Bigfoot sightings in Northern New Jersey. You would think that if there were Bigfoots (is that the proper pluralisation, or is it like deer and deer?) anywhere in New Jersey, then it would be here in the South. We have the Pine Barrens and lots of woods and farming areas. The Northern part of NJ is far more developed and densly populated. Just makes you wonder...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomorrow
I live in Pennsylvania. A few years back some people were up in the hills having a keg party when one of the guys took a walk into the bush to
take a pee. He said he he saw something and locked eyes with it .

It was behind some tall bushes. Becoming terrified he began to run and the thing began chasing him, running in an up right position like a human.
It stumbled and continued to chase him but now on four feet.

When he began to approach the party, the campfire and group of people must have scared the thing off because it turned and ran away. A couple of others at the party claim they seen it run off also.

It is interesting to note that here in the part of PA where this is said to have happened is very close (about 10 miles) to a minefire.
Whole towns closed down and relocated because of the mines burning underground. Lots of coal here . Could this be the underground aliens?
Are they really Bigfoot?
Any way for more info on this google Centraila PA minefire.

So it was on two legs, gave chase, and eventually began running on four legs? And the witness was drunk, at night?

Assuming it's not just a story, it sounds like a bear or something. Are there bears in PA? If not, it could be anything. A raccoon in a tree, etc...

The problem with stories like this si that all someone can describe is that they saw "something." People's imaginations work at night, and adding alcohol into the mix doesn't help...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Probably a black bear. They stand up. We have black bears here too. Still really wouldnt want to run into one of those either. Want to read some really scary stuff? Check out my Mothman..giant owl? post. This happened ten years ago and nine before Id even heard of the mothman. I think that the mothman is easily explained as some giant bastard owl. The incident happened off Rt.4 in eastern Maryland in the dead of night and was one of the most terrifying things Ive ever experienced. I still wont go back. Even though they were giant owls they were still giant owls. I nearly jumped out of my shoes when I saw eyewitness sketches of the mothman cause thats almost exactly what they looked like.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Rt4 in MD is pretty lonely. I'd hate to run in to something weird on that road!

There are bald eagles in that area, especially near the bay. Could that be what you saw?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thought I'd revive this thread.......any other MD stories to add? Anyone?

I live in a good place for Bigfoot....the panhandle of Maryland. And I'm not talking Washington county--that isn't really west to us out here in the west...lol I mean Garrett and Allegany counties. It's very rural out here........surprised that most reports in this post talk about it being over further towards Baltimore, etc.........

bfro only reports 25 total reported sightings in MD. Many more in many other states..........not sure why someone would think MD had the most.......

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SonofSpy

I find the whole Bigfoot thing rather ridiculous. I can understand different breeds or off-shoots like the Himalayan Yeti in comparison to the NW Sasquatch. But that there seem to be so many even world wide.....and no carcass has been produced. I find evidence enough to not take the phenomena too seriously.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomorrow

Is it the eastern side of the U.S. that Maryland has the most sightings? Blackbears have played a major role in being mistaken for bigfoot sightings. Bears are troublesome sometimes around homes and when you read about bigfoot around a house, just imagine a black bear and it all fits the scheme of things. I think we want it to be bigfoot sometimes. Here in Washington county there have been only few sightings, but more and more black bears have been passing through here. I have hunted in deep forest for over 30 years and have seen most wildlife. Seems hard to concieve of something as giant as bigfoot, not to be seen as it wanders around. Goodness shoot one and dispell the mystery. I believe that they are there, but some of the corny approaches to investigating the thing is right out of stupidville. I`ve been watching inconclusive investigating for decades now. Especially monsterquest and their dead ends with each show. Don`t waste your time on that show. Do i believe in bigfoot? yes and i base that belief on cases of unmistakable sightings, like in broad daylight, or seen by many people. I sure am not going to count credable some drunk teenager who ran from what he thought was bigfoot. If bigfoot could`nt nail down a drunk teen, he is in for some survival problems, don`t you think? Bears Stand up to observe a lot and then run on all fours. Look at the Jacob photos of the so-called bigfoot caught on his stealth camera. Give me a stink`in break! look at the photos. Its nothing more than a manged bear. I`ve seen coyotes the same way. Talk about wanting 15 minutes of fame for a bigfoot photo. There have been hoax s galore. Especially with the Tracks of bigfoot. Just jerkweeds looking for a thrill and playing on the imaginations of the public. Its got to be funny to read about what they have done in the newspaper. You can ride people for weeks with these footprints. So my point is this... Capture one. Just one! Study it and then release the thing, or shoot one...and i do believe that many actually have been shot and not reported. One guy called reporting that he did indeed shoot one and claimed it was deader than a door nail. He called some bigfoot society and wanted $100,000 for the carcass. He was told by the BF member that it was a $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison for shooting the BF. He hung up! Now, nobody wins here and a dead BF rots away. No wonder these animals keep away from us. Look at how we are. One guy looks for profit and the other shuns the entire opportunity to see it. Hey, heres an idea. Lets keep it a mystery and it will give us something to get excited about. Excuse me, Monsterquest is on!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Brain Storming
Techniques in Capturing a Sasquatch
David Thompson
“The question that occurs is when you have all this semi hysterical testimony, plaster cast of foot prints, conjecture about Sasquatch; just what part of this information can we use to help us find and maybe capture the beast?” Tanner Our techniques of gathering information have not been very successful. Other than a little new technology, it is the same, as we would have employed a hundred years ago. If anyone seriously wants to catch the organism with any efficiency, you will have to employ new techniques.
I think most people that wish to obtain a Sasquatch do not want to kill it or even keep it for a long period. There is no reason to believe that if someone sees or takes pictures of Sasquatch that the majority of people are going to give the testimony or photography much credence. There is so much lying and photo doctoring that these forms of proof are useless. About the only way the Sasquatch can be proven to exist is by getting and actual animal. The only way you can do this is to either shoot or trap a Sasquatch. I hope that neither technique would kill the organism, by shooting I mean with a tranquilizer gun. I prefer trapping to shooting mainly because of the elusiveness of the beast to people on feet. I must confess that some kind of camera technique using bait might be affective means of evaluating techniques and baits.
There are different kinds of traps that can be used to capture a live animal or proof of existence the animal. If you just want to obtain physical proof of the existence of the Sasquatch you can have a trap that will gather hair or other DNA samples. Photographic traps can be useful but with the number of people creating image hoaxes, I doubt anyone would believe any photographic evidence if it is the sole evidence. Then there are appendage traps that are often inhumane depending on their design. However, anyone that is familiar with trapping appendage traps knows they can lead to animals losing limbs, and the animal trapped for long periods in pain and panic. Last but not least, are whole body traps. Whole body traps would include cage-traps, pit-traps and snare-traps. The least apt to injure the animal would be a cage-trap. Pit-traps can cause serious injury and snare- traps can be dangerous and may not be feasible.
The problems with traps are baits and trap discrimination. A trap is as good as the bait it uses. That means that a lot of research the Sasquatch’s diet is needed. Just like with fishing bait can be live or dead, it can be static or moving, it could be plant or animal. Then we would have to design a trap that is specific to the Sasquatch. The problem with most traps is that they will catch just about anything. Just about any bait used for Sasquatch would probably attract bears, raccoons and a bunch of other animals. We do not want to catch humans, raccoons and bears if possible. This rules out brainless mechanical triggering mechanisms that does not have any discrimination. A cage equipped with motion detectors that would be activated by an animal of a certain height (8 ft.) passing by a certain region in a cage would be affective. A height receptive trap would functions with more discrimination. A much more expensive remote triggering and viewing trap could be used to capture with more discrimination. The ideal trap for Sasquatch would be a trap that is discriminating, one that has a bait that will attract, one strong enough to hold it prey, a trap that is affordable, one that is camouflaged so that it fit into the environment and a trap that can be moved easily to remote locations. Any practical trap should be east to assemble in a remote area, a do-it-yourself-kit. To make it discriminating it could contain an infrared and photo-cameras that would relay signals to a base camp. At the base camp observers would monitor the animals that were entering the trap. The optimum trap should have remote controls to trigger the trapping mechanism. The trap should have some means of preventing unwanted animals from entering the trap.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SonofSpy

as someone who's actually seen a cougar that's not supposed to exist hereabouts, I have to agree wholeheartedly.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Resinveins]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Thought I'd put my 2 cents in this and revive this old threat. Maryland is a cluster of people from nearly every background, MS13 was mentioned, as well as any feds, hillbillys, and paranoids, just as any state has. But because of marlyands small size the social interaction between the different cultures leaves the possability that it could be rumors, or as mentioned before, soomewone drunk who misinterpreted a bear or even something as simple as a tree in the wind with a moving shadow. But considering that there arn't that many bears as compared to PA. or VA. than I doubt it unless your out in the agricultural reserve area or in one of the state or national park area's. I live in MD out in the agriculutral reserve somewhere between frederick, rockville, germantown, and whites ferry, and there's reports out here of bigfoot. But bigfoot as defined as, tall, humanoid shape, possibly hairy or furry, and animalistic and mutilates animal, trash digging, leaves 2 options, a bear, wild dog, bigfoot, lycanthrope. No one knows so it's anyones guess till there's a video or pictues.

new topics

top topics

join