It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F/A-18E/F Block II Super Hornet equipped with the APG-79 AESA.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Westpoint, interesting question.

I would assume that as you say, theoretically any shape that can produce enough lift and thrust to overcome gravity and drag could be made to fly in a stable fashion given enouh engineering and computing power.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
A friend of mine in the RAAF said that F-18s handle quite well supersonic but subsonic it was like trying to fly a washing machine, while F-16s handled better subsonic than supersonic.

You have it totally backwards my friend. The Hornet/Super Hornet are one of the best fighter aircraft at lower speeds. I mean just look at the wide and deep leading edge root extentions and the wing configuration. Not only that but the Super Hornet's FCS makes high alpha maneuvers a breeze. While the F-16 on the other does pretty well at subsonic speeds, not as good as the Super Hornet, but pretty well, it does fantastic at higher speeds because it has thinner and more swept wings compared to the Super Hornet, not to mention the engine intake allows it for better supersonic flight on the F-16.

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Hockeyguy567]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hornets are not good at subsonic speeds? Have you seen the Blue Angles?

West Point, Out.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hmm...maybe I got it wrong...or maybe he was plain lying

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Hornets are not good at subsonic speeds? Have you seen the Blue Angles?

West Point, Out.

Ah well then if one's seen the Thunderbirds AND the blue angels then they'd know that neither are bad at subsonic speeds aye?

And since we're talking about handling at subsonic speeds, do any of you F 16/18 enthusiasts know the SFPG (stick force per gee) for both the aircraft?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join