It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating Anthenas!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I am curious is there any way we can build a home-made anthena to find et's ?

who

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yes, you can build an antenna at home, the problem is with size. The larger the antenna, the more sensitive it will be. Because the radio waves we are trying to catch are so weak by the time they get here, it is critical to have an extremely sensitive piece of equipment to catch them. The best way is from space, where the atmosphere and magnetic fields dont distort them as much. I thought about doing this too, the best I could come up with is a 6 foot dish, not much compared to Aericibo.

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I know of this guy, who bought up 6 of those dishes, you know those huge mothers that the early dish company's used to see! Well he's trying to tie them all togeather and use them in a phased array format. Problem is the associated filtering equipment needed to make the whole thing work! His neighbors think he's goofy, but i stop over every once and awhile for a beer, just to make sure they havent taken him away!

who

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I know a guy that does that too, but he only has one 6 foot dish and he cant get it all to work for what he wants it to do. He isnt the smartest person I have ever met, but hes cool. The equipment he bought to hook up to it cost a ton, that is his biggest complaint, that and it not working.

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
great neighbors ! wish I had some here like that, is there any way I can make something similar to there�s but a lot smaller and more cheaper?

who

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The dish is cheap, you can get used ones for next to nothing. The reason the equipment was so expensive for my neighbor is that he always has to buy really nice stuff, he cant settle for not spending a fortune. I am sure you can find the equipment used somewhere on ebay.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
what am i supposed to look for? I have no clue, can you give me a list. Ill get em asap

who

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Start by shopping for whatever size dish you can get your hands on, obviously the bigger the more sensitive it will be. I will ask my neighbor next time I see him what exactly he has, but I would start by getting books on electrical engineering.

who

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Check ebay, you can get good stuff there for much less than new. This way you can get more stuff, like a bigger dish.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beast4rmDaEast
I am curious is there any way we can build a home-made anthena to find et's ?

Try checking out your local amateur radio club, there are usually some people in those clubs that know quite a bit about that sort of thing.
I plan on joining one eventually out here in Denver.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
i think its pointless to look for ET's over radeo waves

im sure they have a much more advanced way of comunicating

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
hmmm ive always been into electronics and cbs ect but i am wondering about this building an antenna thing to...gonna google and see what i come up with...ill keep u informed

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beast4rmDaEast
what am i supposed to look for? I have no clue, can you give me a list. Ill get em asap

Heres some stuff I found for you (man this brings back memories...) Anyway enjoy

www.madsci.org...

What I want to do, is reverse engineer the small dish antenna I have so I can broadcast a static burst and FRY the morons radio that drives by "THUMP THUMP THUMP" at 3 am by my window!
I read about a guy that did it in "Don't get mad Get Even" but they never said HOW he did it. Google doesn't really list a lot of info on it either. I am probably wording my search wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hi team!!

Really coming into this discussion late - sorry

I'm a radio ham here in UK though have no experience of seeking signals from "out there", as it were.

In the ham community there *are* people with equipment who access (terrestrial satellites) and there's a link to Amsat UK which will give some background.

Others use "Moon bounce" . Hopefully, these links (and further Google searches will bring some info your way

One of the problems for *me* is the "area" that you need for antennas - some of the array's used are awesome!! They have to be steerable, in altitude as well as azimuth, to compensate for the Earths rotation and proper motion of the satellite and/ or the Moon. Coupled with the expense, of course, and possible problems with TVI (television Interference) (amateurs can run 2kW+ output for Moon bounce) it's just not possible from my location in UK!

However, *some* people do get involved, check out this page...

*That's* where SETI@home comes in though, isn't it? 1000 foot radio telescope and *all* the hardware necessary for signal processing!!

Hope this helps - please keep us posted if anybody is going to get involved!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
i think its pointless to look for ET's over radeo waves

im sure they have a much more advanced way of comunicating

Possibly Dm - but do you *know* for sure?

A woman once attended a Royal Institution lecture given by Sir Michael Faraday . The subject was on electro-magnetism.

At the end of the lecture (popular science) apparently this woman approached him and said something along the lines of "But of what use is it, Mr Faraday?".

He is supposed to have said "But what use is a new baby madam?"

The point I'm trying to make is - yes, ET *might* have developed communications strategies beyond our wildest dreams - but, consider *our* situation Dm - we're "leaking" RF into outer space as I sit typing *this*, and have done for the past 100 years or so... To somebody "out there", thye would see this as a very dramatic "bright" place in their radio sky, and wonder "why?" and look further. *If* ET went through a "radio" stage of communication, *we* might see evidence - hard, irrefutable evidence (unlike UFO photo's etc, which people can debunk) - that would show us we are *not* alone in the Universe....

So, I'd say "go ATS SETI@home team" - but you wouldn't expect anything less, would you?

top topics

join