It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forming a Powerful Third U.S. Political Party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This thread is started with the intent to hear ideas on the ability to form a powerful third U.S. political party or help an existing one become powerful. (Green, Independant, etc.)

The back and forth politics of two party deceptions must end, we need a powerful third party within 8 years or less. How can we make this possible?

These parties are an alliance of same agenda (for the most part) and when we only have two agenda's making policies, somebody is going to be left out and avoided. We, the people of the United States have a government that was formed to take care of ALL the citizens of the United States, it is now up to us, the citizens, to take control back!

Here are some current statistics of power held by parties:

Senate:
+ Republicans: 55
+ Democrats: 44
+ Independent: 1 (Senator James Jeffords (I-VT) votes with the Democrats on procedural matters)

House of Representatives:
* Republicans: 232 (53%)
* Democrats: 202 (46%)
* Independent: 1 (Bernard Sanders of VT)

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
What about the Libertarian party ? looking from the outside in you would think that the Libertarians would be the thrid party in american politics. Mind you for every good idea the Libertarians have they seem to have a wacko one.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The Libertarians don't have that many "wacko" stances. They are pretty cut and dry once you get them out of idealism and into reality.

I am a realistic Libertarian, and honestly think the Big Two has twarted the plans of third parties at least since Perot won 19% of the popular vote.

It must have scared them.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Enigmatic Messiah, I don't understand your point.

You call for a "powerful third party" so that "the back and forth politics of two party deceptions must end". Are you saying you want to replace that with the back and forth politics of three party deceptions?

Or are you saying that you are looking for a party that espouses principles (which, of course, the two old parties don't)?

And if so, what kind of principles are you looking for?

In other words, do you have and suggest a particular philosophy of governance -- or do you just want more of the same?

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Why should a third party be formed anyway? All it will do is create instability in the government. In europe, the parliamentary system is capable of dealing with coalition governments, made up of various seperate parties. I don't think a multiparty system will really work as well in the US. The split would just result in one party having a constant majority, not a mulit-party coalition working to elect things like President of the Senate and such. From what I understand, the US congressional system is designed with a two party system in mind.

As far as viable third parties, I think that groups like the Libertarians need to demonstrate that their ideology can work. They need to get control of say, a state, and show that their system can be functional, before large swaths of the nation are going to put them into the Federal Government.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The only way I can see a major third party being formed is around a major election (presidential in all cases) when the candidate seeking election to office, running either on a Dem or Rep, announces that he has been working for the other party and is now redrawing his name for election. This would send the party into a dismal collapse in which faith, alliances, and most of all the foundation of the party will be tested. And hopefully tested to the point where more than 1/3 of the members have become so sick as to leave and form another party.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I wouldn't get involved in a third party unless it had a philosophy that I could accept.

I personally think individual freedom and responsibility are paramount. The only party which supports that kind of liberty is the Libertarian Party, which is why I've been an LP member for 25 years. Of course, the Libs don't win any elections, because most people do not want that kind of freedom and responsibility; but I have to go with them, because they are the only party which represents my beliefs.

If there were a large third party which was libertarian in nature and stood up for its philosophy, I'd join 'em in a heartbeat.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
There are several partys in the U.S. but none except dem. or rep. hold any stature. I agree another party is needed to create a more even style of voting on topics in our gov. Being held to 2 partys means the one with more people will ussually get there way. Just look what is going on now...and the debate over filibusters. If we had three partys inthe gov which were evenly matched we might get some legislature passed which is more for the people and not for the corporate world.
Myself I am a strong believer in the southern people of the southern states, the beliefs that once made the economy in the south boom are now but all forgotten. But there are groups trying to revive the way it was but not discriminating against others. trying to bring into america new beliefs and maybe one day a party that can make this country even stronger than it was in its most gloroious of times. So hopefully one day there wil be a third majority party

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
ncbrian, what kind of party woud you like to see?

Do you look for a party that is a strict constitutionalist type, or a Jeffersonian neodemocracy or what?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I cant say I am looking for a new party but a party that is for the hard working american, the man that breaks a sweat everyday, the one that does jobs that no white collar could ever imagine being real. There are so many Americans out there that are just fed up with the corporate American beliefs that they want there voice heard. But it seams when it is time to vote there is usually only a rep. or dem. on the ballots. Where are all the other parties? Well they are there and they just need the following and money. Myself, I have been interested by the labor party, independence party, and reform party. Even the green party does not sound bad, I am just ready to hear another voice in our congress, senate, and maybe even pres. But I guess one man cannot do it all alone so maybe someday I will see a new name on a ballot and I just might vote fotr it.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Devvy Kidd--An Important Factor in the 2008 Elections

She explains what some problems are with third parties here.

BTW, the Constitution Party suits me perfectly. No, they don't promote a theocracy--that would be in violation of the First Amendment.

new topics

top topics

join