It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens becoming 'Generation Rx'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Education system on drugs is trivial at best, the documentaries I watched at school was basically saying take drugs and die when we all know thats not the case not to mention the videos were more scare tactics rather than factual information!!!!

Exactly!!! These "educational" vidoes in school are probably the worst things that schools are doing to stop drugs. In most of the videos that I have seen, the people on them just state opinions rather than facts. They say "It's just not cool" or "drugs are stupid." Okay, so drugs are not cool? Why are they not cool? And why do they have 45 year old men on these videos with BRIGHT WHITE teeth on there saying that they were smoking for 25 years and had a really hard time quitting??

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It really is an age of Medical approved false cure pills. I can tell you very clearly that just changing my diet, and supplementing has changed my health. I'm not talking about lowering fat and cholesterol. I'm talking about getting the real junk out of my diet, and moving toward eating "real" food. By junk I mean the processed chemical laden foods you see in a large percentage of your local supermarket. Junk is all over the grocery store, including things that get the "healthy" stamp, read the ingredients. I don't even buy cold cuts anymore, because I see nitrites and/or nitrates in them, no matter the brand. And I cut out a lot of sugar in my diet. My diet isn't perfect, but it is better. I never reach in the medicine cabinet for pain pills. Pain pills simply don't exist in my medicine cabinet.

A "real" diet is the thing that the medical community doesn't necessarily point to as a solution. They certainly couldn't profit off of diet like they do with overpriced pills.

Do I drink, sure I drink on occasion, but not every day. With alcohol comes responsibility, too much can drag your health down. I get a kick out of it sometimes. But my overall diet is better than before. Alcohol is one of my little freedoms, but I don't smoke, and I don't take other recreational drugs.

Troy

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Well the immediate widespread "defense" of OxyContin abuse as "not street drugs" that went up for Limbaugh didn't help. And don't tell me half the country didn't take that seriously. They didn't. I was arguing with little old ladies on AOL at the time saying chewing up hundreds of Hillbilly Heroin a day was not drug abuse. :shk:

But while pills are making headway in the urban centers once owned by crack coc aine, I think the trend is shifting to hard drugs in small town USA. And Wal-Mart's return policy is helping fund the despair of small town America. If you know what I'm talking about I probably don't need to explain, and if you don't know small town America, no amount of explanation would ever suffice. But talk to a Wal-Mart greeter sometime in rural America.

Kids are hooking and stealing (and returning stolen goods for cash) and using Wal-Mart as an unoffical underground railroad of drug and sex trafficking. That's the parking lot where the Miami to NY railroad meets.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
As a teen, I am beginning to see this more and more, mostly vicotin. I know of people on sports teams that have injured themselves and sell their vicotin, or have paretns that are physicians or other types of doctors that have victoin in their house, leading the kids to sell the vicotin or use it themselves. In my around 1000 pop school, id bet around 40-50 have begun to try this and counting. Mostly the upperclassmen. But yes, it is becoming a problem

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I'm sorry, but parents locking up their precriptions would have little or no impact on these children who use prescriptions. The majority of users are not getting them from the family medicine cabinet. They're getting them from friends or off the streets, where they are becoming easier and easier to get.

The amount of prescriptions that it would take for someone to be hooked would easily be noticed by the person who is missing them. Thus, a child could not sustain any habbit soley on what his/her parents have in the bathroom cabinet.

I know, because I've been there. The town that I grew up in has exploded as far as prescription drug use amongst male teens. They're not getting them from mom and dad. They're getting them from the people who con their doctors into writing them scripts, only to turn around and sell them on the streets.

A lot more has to be done both by law enforcement and the drug manufacturers themselves. With all of the billions they spend on R&D, I'm sure they could develop pain medication that doesn't give you the "high" that heroin does. The profits that come from Oxycontin alone are more than enough to develop a version that cannot be crushed and snorted or chewed for its high.

I totally agree with this! My mother had pain pills right there in our medicine cabinet the whole time I was a teenager, but I never once touched them. I sure popped a lot though! They all came from friends. I am not saying parents shouldn't lock these medicines up around small children. I am just saying that I don't think this will stop teens from getting them.

[edit on 1-5-2005 by not_just_paranoid]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join