It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China-the sleeping dragon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
China now consumes 50% of all the concrete in the world, 40% of all coal, over 30% of steel and is second only to the US in oil consumption although it will soon surpass US demand for oil, consumption has increased 15% this year alone. 1/5 of the worlds merchant fleet is currently taking raw materials or collecting raw materials that are headed to China as their destination, this is an enormous amount of shipping!
In 20 years time the projected income of the average Chinese citizen will be the same as that of south korea is today which means that energy demand will more than double by 2020 as more people purchase western luxuries like washing machines and fridges, cars etc.
The big danger is obviously that China must now secure resources for their future which has already started with oil, they have made deals with Iran, Argentina, Russia, Numerous south American countries and Saudi arabia. They will almost certainly want the ability project power around the globe and their armed forces are being modernised very fast and they are also building a very large navy and will possess aircraft carriers soon(they have 3 at the mo but theyare not active).
I am sure many Americans have heard about the weapons embargo that will be lifted on Beijing soon, this means the EU will be practically falling over itself to sell them advanced weapons systems in particular France and excluding the UK for obvious reasons. The big danger is that these weapons could be used against American forces if and when the taiwan situation comes to breaking point, also dont forget that they have dealings with Iran. Who is to say that they would not get some of this technology in exchange for a guaranteed supply of oil??
What do u think should be done to handle this emerging superpower? should it be kept down or allowed to flourish? I think it could potentially be very dangerous for China to be a world power esp considering its leadership and general human rights record.

Thoughts.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
not really much can be done today without resorting to illegal measures.

Basically any chance to stop china's rise has been and gone... besides why deny the 1.3 billion people living there the chance to a better life?

Essentially China's rise to the top is innevitable... something we should embrace sooner before it hurts us later

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think first of all narrator, that it was wrong for you to suggest what should be done to china, to hamper, it's efforts to grow into a superpower.. No one stopped america when it was born into a superpower.... And don't tell me That america' upholds democracy and rule of law and an excellent human rights record, because you and I know that america is one of the world's leaders in atrocious human rights abuses... What's the reason for stopping china is it because it's a non-white nation?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
What's the reason for stopping china is it because it's a non-white nation?

That's racist.

---> back to the topic

Well, at least China will have a much better chance of conquering the world than USA will ever be

[edit on 21-4-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
ulshadow - i think crusader was trying NOT to be racist by making that comment. Perhaps he used the wrong words. He should have said "Non-democratic" or "Non-Westernized".

But I understand what he means, why would we want to stop China from becoming a superpower? I hope they do, I think Shanghai will be the new Rome in less than 20 years.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
I think first of all narrator, that it was wrong for you to suggest what should be done to china, to hamper, it's efforts to grow into a superpower.. No one stopped america when it was born into a superpower.... And don't tell me That america' upholds democracy and rule of law and an excellent human rights record, because you and I know that america is one of the world's leaders in atrocious human rights abuses... What's the reason for stopping china is it because it's a non-white nation?

Well i thought u would know that China is communist, i hope u are not trying to play the racism hand because i not at all racist. The reason governments get slightly worried is because they are still a dictatorship and i would think the US in particular would not like being chalenged both militarily and economically by a country that is potentially very unstable, it will be like the cold war all over again.
Although there is a lot of anti-American sentiment on these boards we all know they are not half as bad as they are portrayed, i would rather have them in control than communist China.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
''I think first of all narrator, that it was wrong for you to suggest what should be done to china, to hamper, it's efforts to grow into a superpower.. No one stopped america when it was born into a superpower.... And don't tell me That america' upholds democracy and rule of law and an excellent human rights record, because you and I know that america is one of the world's leaders in atrocious human rights abuses... What's the reason for stopping china is it because it's a non-white nation?''

Well i thought u would know that China is communist, i hope u are not trying to play the racism hand because i not at all racist
The reason governments get slightly worried is because they are still a dictatorship and i would think the US in particular would not like being chalenged both militarily and economically by a country that is potentially very unstable, it will be like the cold war all over again.
Although there is a lot of anti-American sentiment on these boards we all know they are not half as bad as they are portrayed, i would rather have them in control than communist China.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by ufo3]

[edit on 22-4-2005 by ufo3]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
UFO - I think you have some strange idea of what China is really like.

First of all, the government is not all powerful and oppressive.
Did you know they have a basic bill of rights in China? And yes it is enforced. They air their dirty laundry for everyone to see just like we do.
The CCP tries to suppress free press and international news on certain things but most people in urban communities knows what's going on or can find out if they want to.

As for human rights, China's human rights compared to America's since 9/11 is actually better.

Guantanamo Bay, illegal invasion of Iraq, the Patriot Act, etc compare that to what has happened in the last 4 years in China. Not much has happened that violates international human rights in China has it? And yes, whenever a dissident gets arrested in China they are put on the spotlight so don't think we just didn't hear about it.

Of course compare both of these countries to Canada and yes, both have appalling human rights records. In fact I propose the only nation with the moral capacity to condemn or criticize others human rights records would be us Canadians.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I know that in America they do not close down 1000s of internet cafes for no good reason. I know that a few terrorists in guantanamo bay does not compare with tianaman square. People in China can not even protest, i remember when i was in NYC there were Chinese people everywhere protesting about the human rights abuses, they could never do that in China. To compare the US to China in terms of human rights is at best misguided and incredibly naive.

hrw.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, holds about 550 men of varying nationalities who have been deemed "enemy combatants" of the United States by suspect legal processes. Many of the detainees have been held in Guantanamo Bay for more than four years. Denied access to legal counsel and, until this past summer, denied the right to challenge indefinite detention without charge. Thats not a few "terrorists" thats a few hundred "suspected" terrorists illegally being held captive.

Most people in China don't protest human rights abuses because there is nothing to protest about. Most people in China are happy with the way things are and the government, especially now. Every country has their whiners and complainers. Show me one country that doesn't have complainers. You can't please all of the people all of the time. If the Chinese really wanted to protest do you think the government could stop 1.3 billion people? I don't care how many guns they have.

Take for example, the Tiannamen Square Mothers association. They have been protesting for years yet they can have telephone interviews, write to foreign media and governments, go out in public, enter and leave their homes at will.

Or how about Zhao Ziyang, who under house arrest spent his retirement years doing what any retired person would do. Spend time with friends and family, travel, play golf.

These are the so called "dissidents under house arrest". They don't seem that oppressed to me.

top topics

join