It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Moore offers scholarship to students who defy the current administartion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Oscar-winning filmmaker and best-selling author Michael Moore announced today the establishment of “The Michael Moore Freedom of Speech Scholarship at Cal State San Marcos.” The $2,500 scholarships will be awarded annually, for a minimum of four years, to the two individual students who have done the most to fight for issues of student rights by standing up to the administration of Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM).

Moore pledged to establish the scholarship after the Cal State San Marcos student-body came out to protest the school administration and CSUSM President Karen Haynes’s decision to cancel a speaking engagement Mr. Moore had at the school on the grounds that the speaker was too “political.” The student government responded to Ms. Haynes’ decision by raising money and organizing a 10,000 person rally at the Del Mar Fairgrounds on October 12, 2004, as part of Moore’s 63-city “Slacker Uprising Tour.”

Folk music icon Joan Baez and guitarist Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine and Audio Slave), performing as “The Nightwatchman,” both joined Moore on stage that evening to commend the students of Cal State San Marcos and to perform songs of protest.

“I hope this scholarship will encourage students to show courage and stand up for what they believe in”, Moore stated. “It’s not easy to take on the establishment, but when students do so for the right reasons, they should be rewarded.”

The first scholarships will be awarded to two students during the 2005-06 academic year. Students must fill out an application, have three references, and write a letter to Michael Moore stating the reasons they deserve the scholarship and what they have done to take a stand to make their community a better place.

“At a time when the media and politicians have shown a lack of courage, we should look to America’s universities and America’s young people to show us how patriotic dissent is. The University should not be a place for fear, but a place for bravery, free thought, and a little bit of rebellion.”

www.michaelmoore.com...

I'm sure that $2500 will come in handy when those students need bail money from rallying at their next anti-Bush campaign

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What do you get when you take a loud-mouthed fat idiot and give
him a lot of money? Mikey Moore. Gawd. Guess he wasn't happy
about not being in the news lately and had to come up with something
obnoxious to do so he'd be talked about again.

At least George Soros has some class while he's trying to buy
the world for the democrats. UGH.
Moore is just a train
wreck. A train full of pork rinds and moon pies going over a cliff
.... bluck!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Awsome I know some people down here in florida that would qualify for one of those. Glad Moore's still doing what he does best...Piss people off.

And I think Bush is ten thousand times the trainwreck that Moore is. At least Moore can talk coherently and doesnt make up words.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Future posters might note that for the purposes of this topic "current administartion" (sic) has no relationship with the Bush administration.

But let's count the number who don't recognize that little tidbit.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I love Moore. Hes done more to shed light on things in this country than most. What I hate are people that take Hannity and O'reilley as the gospel truth and write Moore of. Everyone loved this guy till he hit Bush.

Oh well...When Manhatten is smoldering crater and radiated for next 10,000 years or so, Ill put on my "Dont Blame Me, I Voted For Kerry" bumper sticker and bask in my self-rightousness.:bnghd:

new topics

top topics

join