It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gorbachev: The United States is Sick

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Mikhail Gorbachev, the former Soviet President and Nobel peace prize winner heavily criticized Bush foreign policy as hypocrit and enforcing the law of the jungle. "The United States is Sick" he said at a news conference with Ted Turner, the founder of CNN.

xtramsn.co.nz
Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev warned the United States "to cure itself" of hypocrisy over nuclear arms and be prepared to cut its atomic arsenal and take it off "hair-trigger" alert.

Addressing a news conference with Ted Turner, the founder of CNN, Gorbachev said the United States should not suggest other nations disarm and make no move to do so itself.

"I think the United States is sick. It suffers from the sickness, the disease of being the victor and it needs to cure itself from this disease," Gorbachev said.

"They (United States) say other people don't need (nuclear weapons), but what kind of law is this that they are advocating?" Gorbachev asked. "It's the law of the jungle."

"We don't need to kiss each other, we don't need to flirt with each other," he said. "We need leadership through partnership, not by dominating and being a policeman."

Gorbachev, credited with helping end the Cold War, led the Soviet Union for six years until its 1991 collapse.

He was at the United Nations to present Turner the Alan Cranston peace award, named after the late US senator who advocated nuclear disarmament. The award was sponsored by the Global Security Institute, a San Francisco-based group that focuses on disarmament.

Turner said the United States had not lived up to its obligations to reduce its arsenal substantially.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Gorbachev hits the nail on the head. With unusual clarity, he denounces american double standards concerning international law, and unmasks US policy for what it is : the law of the jungle.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A few words might have been spelled different, but this is timely news

Gorby is only stating the obvious. It is good to see someone of his stature speaking in the public realm.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
He's right.

The US is quickly drifting towards fascism.
You can see it right here on these boards.

Even thoughtful conservatives agree.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ahh Gorbachev, undoubtedly the greatest statesman of the late 20th Century. The challenges and the obstacles that man was up against would made most politicians crack.

And yes, he hit the nail right on the head, he's very good with words.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Yeah right!

Listen up:

Gorbachev is most inept, unsophisticated and unsuccessful politician of all time. His own buddies plotted against him in the coup of 1991, and he didn't have a slightest. Through the lack of competence, he allowed the breakup of the country. His "perestroika" policies failed in that everything simply degenerated and went into collapse. It was not much of "reform" but a crisis. I'm not a big fan of the old times in the SU, but he handled it in the worst possible way.

IMHO, his "standing" is this: zero.

He's a personal failure and anything that comes out of his mouth should go straight into the toilet.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Yeah right!

Listen up:

Gorbachev is most inept, unsophisticated and unsuccessful politician of all time. His own buddies plotted against him in the coup of 1991, and he didn't have a slightest. Through the lack of competence, he allowed the breakup of the country. His "perestroika" policies failed in that everything simply degenerated and went into collapse. It was not much of "reform" but a crisis. I'm not a big fan of the old times in the SU, but he handled it in the worst possible way.

IMHO, his "standing" is this: zero.

He's a personal failure and anything that comes out of his mouth should go straight into the toilet.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
He's right--We've entered a place in our history where our colonialism is no longer a course of action carried out to ensure the safety of ourselves and our allies and world balance--it's carried out from the bully pulpit and for the good fortune of Our corporate leaders and our corporate allies. We no longer play the the role of Worlds diplomat but the worlds agressor.
And yet most of the country still thinks we went to war with Iraq because of their ties to Al Queda.
We are the most dumbed-down nation in the world. Most Americans can't tell you who the president of Mexico,is, While all Europeans can tell you much about their neighbors and much about America that most of us don't know.
Gorbechov is only saying what the rest of the worl is saying--but I'm amazed he got any media coverage for it.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Gorbachev talking about hypocrits....

Among some of the other issues, which Aelita mentioned some, Gorbachev should remember that they had agreed to recieve aid from the US and other countries to dismantle their nukes in the 10-10-10 agreement.... They have recieved most of the money, yet they are not using it for what it was supposed to be used....

G8 OKs scrapping Russia's nuke stockpiles
By Kathy A. Gambrell
UPI White House Reporter

CALGARY, Alberta, June 27 (UPI) -- G8 leaders Thursday approved a plan to spend $20 billion to scrap Russia's plutonium stockpile over the next decade.

"This is an effort to bring to bear more resources -- an estimated $20 billion over 10 years from the G7 countries and Russia to deal with the destruction of weapons of mass destruction," U.S. national security adviser Condoleezza Rice said. "Given the terror threat that is (cited) by those who worry about the legacy of these weapons of mass destruction, we think it's a very important initiative and we're delighted to get it done."

Excerpted from.
www.cdi.org...

Yet, the contrary has been happening in Russia.... What exactly is the Kremlin doing with the money they have been given to scrap their nukes?....

npc.sarov.ru...

MOSCOW -- Russia 's Soviet-built nuclear missiles have remained fully combat-ready, and the military isn't planning to withdraw them from service en masse, a top general was quoted as saying Monday.

The deputy chief of Russia 's Strategic Missile Forces, Lt.-Gen. Vitaly Linnik, said that recent test launches of Soviet-built missiles had proven their worth.

Excerpted from.
www.newsmax.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Yet, the contrary has been happening in Russia.... What exactly is the Kremlin doing with the money they have been given to scrap their nukes?....

Buying villas in Cote d'Azure, of course! There is plenty of ways to spend all this cool cash.

I have to say though that Gorby's got nothing to do with it. He's just another loser, and always made a funny impression when I'd see him on television, years ago.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Methinks Gorby needs to take a look around....

People who live in glass houses, and all of that...

While Bush certainly won't win first prize at the fair, sounds like sour grapes and Gorby just being a Cold War sore loser...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I can't believe he has the nerve.

Next thing you know Marion Barry will start sending emails around to other mayors saying "Now let me tell you how your city should be run."

It's really as Gazrok said. People in glass houses.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Of course Gorby's a loser! Anyone who says he actually wanted the Soviet Union to collapse under his reign is rewriting history.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Anyone who says he actually wanted the Soviet Union to collapse under his reign is rewriting history.

You guys really crack me up.
Rewriting history? Talk about throwing stones...

Of-course he didn't WANT the USSR to collapse under his rule. But he saw that it would happen no matter what, and he was able to steer it trough in an almost miraculously peaceful way.

If he had clung onto power, the bloodshed would have been horrendous.

Now, does ANYONE think that Bush would have given up his power that easily to avoid needles loss of life?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by krotzkrotz
Mikhail Gorbachev, the former Soviet President and Nobel peace prize winner heavily criticized Bush foreign policy as hypocrit and enforcing the law of the jungle. "The United States is Sick" he said at a news conference with Ted Turner, the founder of CNN.

I wish Reagan was around and in his right mind. He'd probably say the very same thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gekko

Anyone who says he actually wanted the Soviet Union to collapse under his reign is rewriting history.

You guys really crack me up.
Rewriting history? Talk about throwing stones...

Of-course he didn't WANT the USSR to collapse under his rule. But he saw that it would happen no matter what, and he was able to steer it trough in an almost miraculously peaceful way.

Sorry Gekko, but this argument does not hold water. For one, the collapse of the USSR triggered the Chechen war, and if it's not a bloodbath, I don't know what is. There has been numerous violent episodes in Russia, unrelated to Chechnya as well.

Gorby did not see the collapse coming, he's too dumb for this. Take it from me, I saw him on television just about every night when he still was in power.

What he really did, was through his incompetent administration of the country, eroded the federation of the republics and ultimately surrendered the power to the Drunkard Extraordinaire, the criminal Eltsin. Who then proceeded to privatize oil and metal exports, robbing the Russian people in the process.

Gorby gets really low marks in my book. It's easy to shake hands with world leaders and pretend you are something. It's a lot harder to really take care of the situation.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Sorry Gekko, but this argument does not hold water. For one, the collapse of the USSR triggered the Chechen war, and if it's not a bloodbath, I don't know what is. There has been numerous violent episodes in Russia, unrelated to Chechnya as well.

The Chechen war is just proof that the process Gorbachev started wasn't taken far enough by his predecessors.

Gorby did not see the collapse coming, he's too dumb for this. Take it from me, I saw him on television just about every night when he still was in power.

Seeing him on telly makes you a history teacher?

What he really did, was through his incompetent administration of the country, eroded the federation of the republics and ultimately surrendered the power to the Drunkard Extraordinaire, the criminal Eltsin. Who then proceeded to privatize oil and metal exports, robbing the Russian people in the process.

Eh, I presume you're talking about Yeltsin? Doesn't this just prove that Mr. Gorbachev should have stayed in power longer?

You obviously just don't like the guy.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Gorby is stating the obvious.
Im glad he has the nerve. Thx.

Pride goeth before a fall.

We are spending a third of a TRILLION dollars invading and trying to secure a country that was no threat to us,
Yet we can't spend half a Billion dollars to secure our southern border.

You know why? Because Cargill likes hiring cheap illegal aliens in their meat packing plant.
Employers like cheap illegal aliens as janitors in Century City LA.

The flow of MILLIONS of illegals into this country every year could be stopped tommorrow if the government wasn't in the pocket of big business.

Big Business has stolen this country from the people. It is time for some corporate heads to roll. For real.

Don't hang the meat puppet politicians from the lampposts, hang the puppet masters from multinational corporations.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I wish Reagan was around and in his right mind. He'd probably say the very same thing.

But of course, he is not around to give an opinion of Gorbachev's comment, so please, as par, feel free to make up what you think he "probably" might not have said.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Look who's calling the kettle black.

He would have done Mr. Bush and his administration more harm if he had kept his mouth shut.

The world has eyes and ears. This doesnt need to come from him

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
How come losers, like Democrats and Gorbachev, like to criticize?

When you are defeated, you lose credibility. I coached little league baseball, when I defeated the other coach, do you think I would want to hear criticism from the coach I just defeated? No, I just beat him, he is a loser!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join