It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unpopped Popcorn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

This article made me chuckle. While some scientists are still looking for cures to cancer and AIDS, others are making huge advancements in.... Popcorn!

Scientists Discover Why Some Popcorn Kernels Don't Pop

Purdue University researchers have determined that defects in the hull or the kernel don't allow enought moisture pressure to "pop" the kernel. Now we just need to develop a "kernel scanner" to tell us which kernels will pop, and perhaps we can finally break the 4% unpopped kernel threshold.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hell my dad knew about this 20 years ago, he used to take the unpopped popcorn and put it in a jar with a little water in it and screw the lid on it. A week later he would drain the water and pop the unpopped kernels. The scientists should have asked my dad and saved some valuable research time.......

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
LOL reminds me of a Seinfeld act I saw

"Scientists dedicate thier life to the seedless watermelons"

As if there aren't a million things more important then that.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's a seemingly flakey research direction, but i think that is excellent.

Many of the great technologies we use today come from pure curiosity driven research.

minniescar, i will have to tuck your dad's method away in my cap for future use. thx.

Curiousity should never be discouraged.

As far as i am concerned it is sacred.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
more info:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Its about dam time! I hate those unpopped kernals!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
4% unpopped rate is completely unacceptable given what we can already do as a species with nanotechnology.

Firing miniataure "robots" armed with water cannons into the frying pan when 90% popping is achieved, to identify and rectify the at risk kernels, would seem to be a cost-effective solution.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Actually I usually eat the kernals, although I sometimes have choked on them

What an age we live in

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Thats funny. They are figuring this stuff out and I am paying 2.60 a gallon of gas. ahhhhhhhhhh we need to set our priorities straight.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
They are figuring this stuff out and I am paying 2.60 a gallon of gas. ahhhhhhhhhh we need to set our priorities straight.

Excellent lateral thinking.

The latent energy in unpopped corn provides an unresearched alternative fuel source.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
Thats funny. They are figuring this stuff out and I am paying 2.60 a gallon of gas. ahhhhhhhhhh we need to set our priorities straight.

Yes, perhaps we can transfer the energy in popcorn to gasoline. Be thankful about gas, a lot of things are more expensive then it.

Milk, juice, medicine. There is worse things then gas prices like war, so be happy.

-----AP-------President Bush in other news proposed a 500 million dollar research project on how popcorn works. Researches will try to study how popcorn works and how to give every kernal a chance to pop. This may weaken relations though, as Canada has not funded the research and the U.S. places an embargo on "Government Popcorn" to Canada. Canada has taken up our offer and refused to send us medicine. President Bush is not worried about medical care, as he said his "Popcorn to Freedom act" will save millions of lives. President Bush is noted for saying to Canada "Screw You"

What am I talking about?

new topics

top topics

join