It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Torture and Military Enforced Censorship in Nepal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Amnesty International is reporting the detention and alleged torture of over 3,000 "political prisoners" in Nepal since the Monarchy sacked the government and took over the country. Since King Gyanendra's takeover in February, thousands have been detained, and soldiers have been deployed to media outlets throughout the country to enforce new censorship laws which prevent any speaking out against the Monarchy or the King's takeover of the country. Reporters and journalists are being threatened and harassed into avoiding the topic.

ap.tbo.com
KATMANDU, Nepal (AP) - Security forces have detained more than 3,000 political prisoners since Nepal's king seized power in February and many allegedly have been tortured, Amnesty International said Thursday in a report that cites local human rights groups.

The accusations came as King Gyanendra was in Indonesia where he hopes to use a meeting of world leaders at the Asia-Africa Summit to explain why he sacked his country's government and declared a state of emergency. Several nations have strongly condemned the monarch's takeover.

"The last two months have been characterized by widespread arrests of political activists, as well as human rights defenders, trade unionists and journalists, with the apparent aim of preventing protest against the king's takeover," London-based Amnesty said in a report on its Web site.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nepal has now joined the seemingly ever-growing list of countries facing political disaster. The King of Nepal has fired his government and has sparked protest from many nations with this decision. Not only has the Monarchy dropped its government, but some former cabinet members are now facing prosecution by the King, and the King has ordered heavy censorship of all media in the country.

To enforce the new direction, the King has also detained thousands of political activists, and there are allegations of abuse and torture. Many groups worldwide has called for an end to the media censoring, however the King has been slow to respond to any questions or accusations. Many are hoping he will offer some explanation at a meeting of world leaders in India, however the censorship continues, no explanations have been offered, and now allegations of torture and abuse are starting to surface.

Related News Links:
hrw.org
www.ipsnews.net
www.gulf-times.com
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
A year later and very little has improved. Indeed, the civil unrest seems to be growing, with mandatory curfew now imposed by the King in an attempt to slow down the pro-democracy movement.

Nepal Police Use Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets on Protesters

KATMANDU, Nepal — Nepali police fired rubber bullets at thousands of protesters Sunday, struggling to enforce a curfew imposed to keep persistent pro-democracy demonstrators off the streets in the Himalayan country's deepening crisis.

The protesters were trying to enter the city limits of Katmandu, the capital, when police first fired tear gas, then rubber bullets, independent Kantipur television reported. Doctors at a hospital said they treated three people injured by rubber bullets.

Katmandu was under a daylong curfew for the fourth straight day. On Saturday, clashes between security forces and tens of thousands of demonstrators left more than 200 people injured.

The Kind has still not reinstated Parliament and no constitution is being created. The people are not satisifed, and are beginning to get desperate.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I can't beleive that that article went uncommented for a year.

Nepal is in something of a crisis, and yet the news is flooded with hysterical stories about illegal aliens trying to destroy america.

This king, for those who don't know, came to power when the previous king and his family was murdered at dinner one night by, I beleive, the son of the king at the time. Very odd circumstances.

The rebels are allways reported as Maoist insurgents. Is that accurate, in your opinion, Cohiba? Are in or from the region? Have contacts there?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I can't beleive that that article went uncommented for a year.

Lots of other world situations getting more attention... perhaps this is 'too far from home' for most people. There is also the fact that the new king has basically eliminated media in the region via censorship, so very little facts are getting out.

Originally posted by Nygdan
The rebels are allways reported as Maoist insurgents. Is that accurate, in your opinion, Cohiba? Are in or from the region? Have contacts there?

I am not from the region, and would consider myself far from an expert on the situation... but you asked for my opinion, so here it comes.
From my reading and research, it seems that a group of Maoist insurgents most definitely exist in the region, and they want power. The uprisings of recent, however, seem to be more of the 'common folk' than rebels or insurgents.

People are starting to run out of food and other basic needs, and it doesn't take a very deep look into history to see how bad things can get when people are starving. Just like all over the world, people just want security for themselves and their family. I don't think the majority of citizens want the Maoist in power, but they are very dissatisfied with the new king's lack of control and direction for the country.

How many times in history have we seen the 'undesireable' group gain control because of the impotence of the previous administration. Germany? Palastine? I'm sure there are many more...

new topics

top topics

join