It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: New Pope Was Drafted Into Hitler Youth and German Infantry in WWII

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Pope Benedict XVI, German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, joined the Hitler Youth after membership became compulsory, according to his autobiography. Later, the young Ratzinger was drafted into the German anti-aircraft corps, then a labor detail digging anti-tank trenches, and finally served in the German infantry until his desertion in 1945. Jewish groups in Israel and the U.S. have cautiously welcomed the new pope, citing his record over the last 60 years as more important than any organization he was forced to join in Nazi Germany.

news.yahoo.com
When membership of the movement became compulsory in 1941, Ratzinger's older brother Georg joined and the future Pope Benedict XVI was then enrolled, against his will, he has said in a number of interviews.

In September 1944, having reached military age, he was released from the [anti-aircraft corps] and returned home, only to be drafted into a labour detail commanded by men he described as "fanatical ideologues", the website said.

In November 1944, he underwent basic training with the German infantry but due to illness he was allowed to skip the most physical aspects of military training.

As the Allied advance drew nearer, Ratzinger deserted the army and returned to the southern town of Traunstein where he had studied at the seminary.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Detractors of the the Vatican and of the Catholic faith may well draw on these events in Ratzinger's life as ammunition to criticize the new pope, however, only 14 years of age by 1941, he himself has always been completely forthcoming with details of his forced conscription. Furthermore he has been absolved of guilt by Jewish groups across the globe. John Allen's biography of Ratzinger, entitled "Cardinal Ratzinger: The Vatican's Enforcer of the Faith", quoted his subject as stating that his family had to move home four times due to his father's criticism of the Nazis.

The timeline of the new pope's life for the period is as follows.

Events in the Life of Pope Benedict XVI
1932: Family moves to Traunstein after his father has conflicts with local Nazi Party supporters in Tittmoning.

1941: Enrolled against his will in Hitler Youth. Dismissed shortly afterward because of his intention to study for the priesthood.

1943: Drafted as helper for anti-aircraft unit, serves in battery defending BMW plant.

1944: Dismissed from unit, but returns home to find draft notice for forced labor.

1944: Leaves home to dig anti-tank trenches.

1944: Released from labor force and returns home only to receive army draft notice three weeks later.

1945: Deserts from army and returns home. Captured by Americans as war ends.

1945: Released from U.S. POW camp, hitches a ride home on milk truck.

1945: Begins study for priesthood in Freising.

1951: Ordained a priest along with his brother Georg.

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
www.abc.net.au
www.khnl.com
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 2005/4/20 by wecomeinpeace]

[edit on 2005/4/20 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
As i live and breathe every day, i subscribe more and more to the notion that this world is an experiment gone bad.

What else can you say about a holy man with so much baggage?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
To those who haven't figured it out, "baggage" is what Christianity is all about. It is the absolution of sin that Christianity is founded upon, not perfection or purity. Whatever the current Pope may have done in his life, it is his position before God that is paramount, not his position before men or temporal law. I would wonder how any of us would have reacted at such an age to such compelling demands.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I don't think it was as much "unwittingly" as it was "unwillingly".

Not much of a choice in those days, join or die.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well I agree with Grady, but, I also have to said that with such a past that he was able to come to peace with himself through God and the Church then he should be the most humble Pope in history.

But as you can see he is already controversial on his views. Perhaps he should not judge they way he should want to be judge.

He should forgive the same way that he has been forgiven.

We all make mistakes and we are all but humans.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
You'd be hard pressed to find a German who was in that age range during the war who wasn't registered with the Hitler Youth. Trust me, most if not all of us would have been registered too.

Let's see, forced by law to join the HY, drafted at age 16 to serve in the military, deserted when the opportunity presented itself. Sounds like he was a real hardcore Nazi to me

I know a Romanian who was drafted to fight the Russians during WWII. Ending up going to college in the US and playing soccer (or some other sport). He really had no choice in the matter, no one did.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I agree with all-

This new Pope has 'been around the horn.' He is not some monk that led a sheltered life.

Another North European- going to be interesting times.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

as posted by Esoterica
You'd be hard pressed to find a German who was in that age range during the war who wasn't registered with the Hitler Youth. Trust me, most if not all of us would have been registered too.

Agreed.
Joining the Hitler Youth was mandatory in Bavaria, as was service.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Agreed.
Joining the Hitler Youth was mandatory in Bavaria, as was service.

seekerof

And yet, he deserted when he was drafted into the service, risking his life. Says he did it for ideological reasons in the autobiography. Not the behavior of someone who supported the cause, and kudos to him for never trying to hide the fact that he was in the Hitler Youth. Displays character, it does.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I agree with JungleJake. After looking at his record I don't think anyone can honestly call him a Nazi or a Nazi sympathizer. And he does deserve credit for not trying to sweep it under the rug.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm curioius as to whether or not he took human lives while serving in the military. Though I don't give a flying F who the Pope is & I really don't even know what the Pope does, nor do I care, but it would be interesting to know if the Pope is someone who has killed.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
I'm curioius as to whether or not he took human lives while serving in the military.

The impression given is that he deserted before the allied advance reached where he was stationed.

As the Allied advance drew nearer, Ratzinger deserted the army and returned to the southern town of Traunstein where he had studied at the seminary.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
investing.reuters.co.uk...

The Simon Wiesenthal Center has recognized the fact that
Pope Benedict XVI was from an anti-Nazi family. The famous
Jewish center has no problem with him being pope.

The Ratzinger family moved around a lot. The dad was an
anti-nazi policeman. He moved the family a lot for their
protection.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   

it would be interesting to know if the Pope is someone who has killed.

That would be interesting to know. Other religious leaders have
killed before 'answering the call' ... take Moses for example. He
murdered. Strangulation I believe.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Maybe he was just in it for the "youth." ~ Jon Stewart

Maybe it's just me, but I get a little nervous when I see germans on balconies addressing adoring throngs. ~ Dennis Miller

Something like that.

As for the serious issues here:

I'm curioius as to whether or not he took human lives while serving in the military.

Either he did or he's a lousy shot with an anti-aircraft gun. Even if he just "serviced" an AA unit, it's not even a remotely gray area to the older men in my family that served in WWII. He was the enemy.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Joining the Hitler Youth was mandatory after 1939.

It was not mandatory before that.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think that it's getting a bit ridiculous that people -- who really don't have a very a very good understanding of history can believe that the pope (and tens of thousands of other geriatric germans)are nazis. Hitler ran Germany through terror, force and the evolving power of the media. Through propaganda, he compelled germans to join nazi organizations (frankly, they were all nazi organizations at that time). The new pope, like everyone in germany, was a member of nazi organizations. If the pope had been a newspaper boy, delivering nazi propaganda to people's doorsteps every morning, would that have made him a member of the Nazi intelligence and propaganda arm? If he had been a german boy scout, would that have made him a member of a para military organization bent on world conquest and global nazification? C'mon everyone, the pope was a kid back then. hardly a willing, knowledgeable cog in the wheels of nazi power. Also, it is to be noted that priests and Catholic organizations were persecuted under the nazis. If the pope were a nazi, why would he risk everything to become a priest. Unless, of course, he was a plant. ... entering the priesthood as part of an elaborate plan to eventually bring Nazi control to the catholic church. Man, how cunning those nazi are, eh?

[edit on 4/21/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Just another young kid who was drafted into the hitler youth and later to defend his nation when he should of been chasing girls.\

I respect he never tries to keep it quiet and also I do respect anyone who will defend their nation, including the majority of German soldiers during WWII, who were honourable young men, even though of course I disagree with the Nazi's use of the wehrmacht and of the invasion of other nations.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 21-4-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It is interesting though, isn't it? That one would choose such a man as their direct conduit to their God?

I mean, do you really want someone who wasn't willing to die for their beliefs and convictions in such a role?

Seems to me he's made a history of taking the path of least resistance. First joining youth program, then allowing himself to be a soldier, and then furthermore deserting when defeat was eminent.

If the pope were a nazi, why would he risk everything to become a priest.

According to the timeline, he became a priest only when it was obvious the Nazis were losing.

Hardly the one I'd choose to be such a conduit....

While such a history shouldn't preclude one from many many roles in life, I'd think that "Pope" should have a bit more stringent requirements, and I'm not even Catholic or Christian.

Just a thought.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
whats the story here ? whats the point ? digging for skeltons in his closet ?
I was away this week, but I knew when I came back, I could trust the ATS faithful to sling mud at the new pope.....can't wait to find the thread that connects him to stanism and the illuminati.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join