It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Pope Urged Priests to Deny Communion to John Kerry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The new Pope, former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, was the source in the Vatican who urged U.S. priests to deny communion to John Kerry as well as other pro-choice candidates and people who would vote for them based on that issue.

New Pope Denied Kerry Communion

As a Roman Catholic cardinal, the new Pope Benedict XVI warned American voters against departing from church teaching at the ballot box, drew criticism from victims of clerical sex abuse and opposed married or women priests.

www.newsmax.com...

Moreover, Ratzinger has suggested that Catholic politicians who favor abortion rights may be denied communion — something that caused Senator John Kerry no end of grief in his presidential campaign last year. As pope, Benedict may push that to its logical conclusion, forcing progressive politicians to choose between their religion and their commitment to a pluralistic society in which not everyone is a Catholic.

www.bostonphoenix.com...

[edit on 4/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I guess repentant drug addicts are ok, huh?

I doubt if the new pope with all he has on his plate "specifically" named John Kerry to be denied communion.

Does he also want all the whores out of church? What about child molestors? where do they stand?

My point is he just became pope and he's singling out John Kerry? I wouldnt beleive this story till the pope knocked on my front door and told me himself. sorry.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
"JFK" has little to do with the premise of the original article.

Sadly, this Pope would deny communion to Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter, and to George W Bush, too.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Whats your point?

As was stated i doubt he singled out kerrry specifically...

Anyways the Catholic church is outdated and behind the times... Although i'm not Catholic and it doesnt effect me, its doctrine is in dire needs of an undate or the church will become obsolete.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think that the new Pope - if he really did urge priests to deny communion to Kerry - would do well to remember that Christianity is about acceptance and forgiveness, not exclusion and condemnation.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Whats your point?

Well the Catholic vote went for George Bush despite historically going to the Democrats and the fact the Kerry himself was a Catholic (the only Catholic ever to be elected U.S. president was John Kennedy)

This man's statement may have had a real impact on the 2004 U.S. Presidential Election.

Whether that's good or bad is left up to the beholder.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As a Roman Catholic cardinal, the new Pope Benedict XVI warned American voters against departing from church teaching at the ballot box,

A strike for Bush.

Guess he hasnt covered "thou shall not cheat" yet...looking forward to that one...LOL

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The new pope's urging was sent to the cardnal in Washington in private, but it was leaked. This also took place well before he was Pope (during the presidental election). He didn't single out Kerry, but the location the letter was sent (at least the one that was leaked) and the timing were awfully close. The letter said the Holy Sacrament should not be given to politicians who activly work against Catholic doctrine, specifically when it comes to abortion.

Again, this was before he was Pope, and done in a leaked document.

According to Catholic doctrine (thanks, FlyersFan, for this info!) taking communion is an act for those in communion with the Catholic church. A Lutheran would be denied communion, as well. When a politician, like Kerry, is a hard line advocate for abortion, he is not in communion with the church. He is actually publicly out of communion with the church, and should be denied communion, according to Catholic doctrine/Canon law.

This does not, however, mean they would be excommunicated. They're still part of the Catholic church, just not in communion with it.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wise words junglejake, the bottom line is this story is a fake. At the very least the "tittle" is misleading.

ATS has rules about that.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Wise words junglejake, the bottom line is this story is a fake. At the very least the "tittle" is misleading.

The story is not a fake, it's all over the news! I've heard this report countless times today.

Here's another source: New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
BS...

this is not "right"...

as much as i hate church i will say this:

this would never be said by a pope...

unless he is the anti-christ

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Djohn, i'm not calling you a liar, by any means. Sorry if i got carried away..However, its crap propaganda straight from those well known "Love Sean Hannity or die" websites.

Its nothing but propaganda because they cant leave well enough alone.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The story is true. Ratzinger was instrumental in trying to galvanize Catholics against pro-choice candidates, Kerry included. He was also intruemental in the "group think" denial of the sex abuse scandals inside the church.

Me? I couldn't happier that Cardinal Ratzinger is now Pope Benedict.

The Catholic Church became an enemy of the weak and the powerless and the innocent, when they allowed so many pedophiles to infiltrate their ranks... and flourish under their protection.

As such, I support subsequent suicidal decisions made by this organization that will only serve to push American followers, and American dollars, away. I support any and all decisions made by these men to continue their descent into oblivion.

Reform will only allow the church to survive.

The election of Ratzinger, and his ascending onto the thrown, is terrible for the future of the church. But, likewise, as a critic and enemy of the church, I support their rigid decison making and adherence to archaic spiritual legislation -- if only because it further limits their ability spread and grow, and nails yet one more nail in their rotting coffin.

Refusing to evolve will lead to the Chuch's demise. Better late than never.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The story is not fake. It's actually quite well known.

Yahoo News: New Pope Intervened Against Kerry in 2004 Election Campaign

He specifically mentioned "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws," a reference widely understood to mean Democratic candidate Kerry, a Catholic who has defended abortion rights.

The letter said a priest confronted with such a person seeking communion "must refuse to distribute it."

A footnote to the letter also condemned any Catholic who votes specifically for a candidate because the candidate holds a pro-abortion position. Such a voter "would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for holy communion," the letter read.

Now if you're a "good" Catholic and formally cooperated in evil by voting Kerry, tell your preist you're not fit to accept communion until you've confessed your sin of excercising your rights as an American. Better hurry. Rome is watching.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Uhmmm....Bush is NOT Catholic, so I don't think he would mind not receiving communion.

Pope Benedict did single out Kerry during the election.

news.yahoo.com.../afp/20050419/pl_afp/vaticanpopeus&printer=1

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
IMHO, NAMING SOMEONE by name to deny them communion is bs.

He generalized but he never said JOHN KERRY.

Show us the proof.

I'm talking about this particular story- not the defunct pope saying kerry shouldnt get communion.

I'd like to know where he specifically said "john Kerry" in the past 3 days.

I'll wait patiently, and dont give me a quote from the Republican express, its not a good source.

I guess my point is not getting thru. Nowhere in this propagandist story does it name John Kerry being " " by the pope we currently have.

Personally, i'm catholic but the pope wouldnt like me. I smoke, swear on occasion- but i'm not a hypocrate. What you see is what you get.

Funny that he should bring this out (right) but not bring out the mass killings for the sake of "democracy"

Strange times we live in.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Rant- fine ok i'm wrong and you all are right.

Now then, lets start cleaning up shall we?

Who and where do we start? I say start at the very top of the ladder

ps..pardon my rants, its that when this whole world is going to the dogs because of certain governments and actions, a blurb like this hits me like a slap in the face.
Lets address the TRUE EVIL. Forget John Kerry (Bush's front man) and charade partner.

[edit on 20-4-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Whats your point?

This man's statement may have had a real impact on the 2004 U.S. Presidential Election.

If that is so, then we are dealing with the devil. Plain and simple.

I'm ready for camp today thats how mad i am right now.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Whats your point?

If that is so, then we are dealing with the devil. Plain and simple.

I'm ready for camp today thats how mad i am right now.

I would rather have an election swayed by a mans words than by a terrorist act. (Spain)

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Forget John Kerry (Bush's front man)

[edit on 20-4-2005 by dgtempe]

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that statement!

The current Pope never did this as Pope (not directed towards you, dg, just wanted to make that first comment in regards to your last post) He was a Cardinal when the letter was written.

John Kerry, however, did recieve communion. The Cardinal's words were not heeded. It was a recomendation, not canon law. As to singling out John Kerry by name, he did not:

In a June 2004 letter to US bishops enunciating principles of worthiness for communion recipients, Ratzinger specified that strong and open supporters of abortion should be denied the Catholic sacrament, for being guilty of a "grave sin."

He specifically mentioned "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws," a reference widely understood to mean Democratic candidate Kerry, a Catholic who has defended abortion rights.
(From Carseller4's link). Many people assumed he was talking about Kerry, but he could have also been talking about Kennedy or even Cuomo. There are a lot of Catholic politicians who are quite a bit louder than Kerry on those issues. People read in vague statements what they want to hear, and in this one many people on both sides wanted to see Kerry, so they did.

My understanding/interpretation is that Salvation comes from Christ. Sadly, the current Pope has made statements that Salvation comes from the Catholic church. It is works oriented; the forgiveness Christ promised us, in Catholicism, is not enough to get us into heaven. Christ said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." However, Catholic doctrine says our salvation is based on good works. Who's right? I am not a Biblical scholar, and am learning new things every day. Works, according to James, will be be an effect in those who have been saved, but are they required? I currently don't believe so, but I haven't even read the whole book through once yet (Numbers is really hard to get through!).

...How on earth did I get there from talking about the new Pope not mentioning Kerry by name? Ah well, I'll just hit that Post Reply button. Wonder Twin Powers, Activate!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join