It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Titor - No need to worry?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I have been reading over the John Titor transcripts recently. I came across one particular thing John said which I feel may have been overlooked. He remarked that some major catastrophe had not occurred, despite us waiting and preparing for it for a year and a half.

I think it is widely accepted that he was referring to the "Millenium Bug" which was due to bring about the END OF THE WORLD but in fact turned out to be a bit of a damp squib.

John stated that there was a slight divergance between his worldline and ours(a couple of percent or so). Is it possible, to reference the sci-fi story "Distant sound of thunder" that John perhaps came back and deliberately squashed that butterfly? Are we on a totally different world line because the Y2K problem never occurred?

Think about it. With no internet would we even be having these discussions? Where would our only information come from? The likes of the 24hr News networks;and we all know how reliable they are. So having a different source of information maybe staves off the worst of what was due for 2005.

On another note, John's postings may have had some influence on the world line after all. Going back to the last election, one thing that surprised me was the withdrawal of General Wesley Clarke from the race. One of the things John pointed out was the outrage of people if they found out what really happened at Waco, Texas. Well, if it comes out there would be outrage, but not as much trouble as compared to Clarke being the president elect.

So, I put it to you all. Have the actions of John Titor, through the posting of messages on an internet discussion board, through design or otherwise, caused us to branch off into another world line?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The kid writing "Titor" knew almost nothing about computers.

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggyI think it is widely accepted that he was referring to the "Millenium Bug" which was due to bring about the END OF THE WORLD but in fact turned out to be a bit of a damp squib.

Yes, because he was running his play for fame off that "impending disaster."

John stated that there was a slight divergance between his worldline and ours(a couple of percent or so). Is it possible, to reference the sci-fi story "Distant sound of thunder" that John perhaps came back and deliberately squashed that butterfly?

I'm a retired computer engineer. The idea of Titor "squashing the bug" is hilarious... there never was (as we kept saying) ANY danger. We knew about the bug some 20 years beforehand (1980) and there were (if you hunt for the material) a number of computers on Internet that were hit by the bug.

All that happened Nowas that they would say silly dates (like 1/1/100001) when you asked them to fill in a date. You could override it.

Are we on a totally different world line because the Y2K problem never occurred?

No. Titor was a hoax. There was NEVER any possibility of collapse. Titor is a hoax like Aussie Bloke and German Guy and a thousand others.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just to clarify, I was referring to an old sci-fi story (soon to be a movie) where a time-traveller, through stepping on a butterfly inadvertently changes the course of history.

I don't think that Titor or any of his cohorts had anything to do with Y2K not happening. He just stated it never happened.

As for Titor being a fake? In all probability and in all honesty he probably is. However, with all the other prophets knocking about, why is his story so compelling and haunting? Whoever wrote the Titor postings was well educated in both Quantum Physics and Social studies.

However, taking the interesting suppisition that he is NOT a fake, have his posts had an effect, by design or otherwise on our world line?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
Are we on a totally different world line because the Y2K problem never occurred?

There's obviously no way to answer that. Heck, because of the 'failsafe' slight divergence, john titor himself could be the guy who leads the American Federal Empire in our timeline. Or any possible combination.

The John Titor story is something that can't, technically, be assed by 'normal standard'. We can't say 'time travel don't happen, therefore the story is b/s" because of obvious reasons. However, to equally come in and say 'well maybe things are just different and thats why the story don't come true' is equally unrealistic. The story stands or falls on its own merits. Titor's story falls, completely, on its face. No fufilment of conditions, no reality to the story.

On another note, John's postings may have had some influence on the world line after all. Going back to the last election, one thing that surprised me was the withdrawal of General Wesley Clarke from the race. One of the things John pointed out was the outrage of people if they found out what really happened at Waco, Texas. Well, if it comes out there would be outrage, but not as much trouble as compared to Clarke being the president elect.
Titor was concerned with Waco becuase whoever was pretending to be him was a militiaman, or a militaman-fan. The entire story reads like a militiaman's wet dream. The "american federal empire' made of of 'city-folk' who don't care none 'bout their liberties, the US getting nuked by the Ruskies, and then 'citizen-militias' restoring order. And whats the outcome, how is everything restored, who is society perfected, technology advanced to the point of having time travel? Because of de-centralization of the constitution. Its an anti-federalist's fantasy land.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Byrd, what makes you say he knows nothing about computers? I ask because I know nothing abot them, and am curious as to what is glaring/silly or just wrong.

Whoever wrote the Titor postings was well educated in both Quantum Physics and Social studies

I disagree. The information in the titor story is much handwaving. Its not particularly, as I've seen it, indicative of a thorough understanding of Quantum mechanics, which has been around since before einstein anyway. Heck, titor himself states that he's clueless, another failsafe, to answer any questions/problems that arise. Also, think about it, the story titor gave, it was as detailed as could be wrt the phyics of it, just not on areas that woudl be contradictions. Why would a guy who's nothing more than a 'shot gun trooper' even know that stuff anyway? His stories are very detailed in teh physics on the matters that make it 'convincing', but vague on subjects that woudl reveal if it was BS or not.

As for the social studies bit, the story itself was unoriginal, lifted, apparently, in detail, from an actual book called alas babylon.

Havign said all that, the production was great, or at least it woudl be if it were more than just teh irc logs and posts. If the John Titor Foundation is invovled from teh beginging and the lawyers in florida and the rest are all part of it, well, they'd do well to reveal themselves and take the credit. Fascinating.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I really didn't want this to descend into a "Does Titor exist or not" debate. I am sure that those debates have been beaten to death over and over in other threads.

I am more interested in debating the possibility of the cause and effects of his predictions and time travel.

By the way, thank you for all the good points brought up.

Originally posted by Nygdan
The John Titor story is something that can't, technically, be assed by 'normal standard'. We can't say 'time travel don't happen, therefore the story is b/s" because of obvious reasons. However, to equally come in and say 'well maybe things are just different and thats why the story don't come true' is equally unrealistic. The story stands or falls on its own merits. Titor's story falls, completely, on its face. No fufilment of conditions, no reality to the story.

Titor was concerned with Waco becuase whoever was pretending to be him was a militiaman, or a militaman-fan. The entire story reads like a militiaman's wet dream. The "american federal empire' made of of 'city-folk' who don't care none 'bout their liberties, the US getting nuked by the Ruskies, and then 'citizen-militias' restoring order. And whats the outcome, how is everything restored, who is society perfected, technology advanced to the point of having time travel? Because of de-centralization of the constitution. Its an anti-federalist's fantasy land.

Certain aspects of his predictions, such as mass civil unrest due to public discontent in the system were not exactly a sure thing in the pre-911 world. Sure it seems obvious now, but back then the world seemed a different place. His thoughts on China were fairly good as well. Look at the muscle-flexing going on now between them and Japan. So there is no blood on the streets in 2005. That makes him completely wrong so we should just ignore him.

As for the Waco debacle, sure it raises some militia type hackles. I don't remember him describing his world as "perfect" or that there was any wide spread restoration of order, more of a tired status-quo. I think the technology for time travel was already well advanced before the fall, according to him.

As for the general point I am making here, if you can let go of the comfort blanket of his being proven a "fake", while some of what he talked about is still moving along, certain aspects have changed. Was this a deliberate move on his part or just an accident?

[edit on 20-4-2005 by howmuchisthedoggy]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Nope, no need to worry. Why? Because he's a false prophet. Whew!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Nope, no need to worry. Why? Because he's a false prophet. Whew!

Okay.

I know that the same inability to read and comprehend what John Titor wrote is the same as the inability to read and understand the concept of this thread.

I know a large majority of people wish to just roll over and go back to sleep. Fine. If you can't get your head around the possibility that:

a) Time Travel may be possible.
b) There is more to life than what is written in the bible.
c) Your inability to comprehend a simple discussion is due to an environmentally induced fugue.
d) Constantly denying something doesn't make it go away.

Then go bother someone else in a thread vaguely related to what is being discussed. You don't believe John Titor existed? That he was a fake? Fine. I respect your opinion. Stop reading this thread now.

If your curiosity is even the slightest bit piqued however, that someone could write something 4 odd years ago, that while outrageous at the time is now widely accepted fact, that expressions such as "Weapons of Mass Destruction" were being used 3 years before they entered the common lexicon, that predicitons of a nation divided and a civilian population in unrest seem to be coming through before our eyes, then maybe we can talk further.

I could get into a debate with the Titor-bashers about every little sentence and mis-quote on their part, but I have seen how it descends into running in circles on other thread forums. Many before me have spoken eloquently in Titor's defence, and while I have seen many good points made for the case against Titor, I have yet to see anything satisfactorily disprove his existence. Misquote and misdirection, bluster and insult. The last refuges of minds clinging to the river banks before being swept into the light.

Let's not argue!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Not to argue, but I do believe he is a fake. All the things he talked about in his timeline co exist in a book.

Originally posted by me here
Well I read some of this and realized you are all smoking crack. haha just kidding. Altho John Titor story is quite convincing, I found that out in about 2 weeks researching on him and realizing he was fake. Among other things that were stated in this post I would like to mention 2 posts on other forums backing this claim up

1st
Proof Here John Titon is a Hoax.

This post is in depth of this guy being fake, He made all this stuff up pretty much from this book it seems. I have not been able to aquire, but it seems likey he is fake.

Also I would like to note here.

www.anomalies.net...

The girl Pamela seems to be doubting this also, interestingly to say. straight out grade A Hoax, kinda like the CIA making out Alquida to be real and WMD in iraq.

So in that everything that he stated has been a complete and total false statements to me...

I am pretty sure if you watch enough Star Trek, Dr. Who, or something I can come up with a pretty convincing story if you want.. its not all that hard... Look at the movies we watch today, Not everything seems to be so far out of reach while seeing it on screen...

[edit on 4/21/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I don't know if John Titor was telling the truth or not, but I do believe we'll achieve time travel in the next 50 years or so and maybe we're already getting visitors from the future.

I do know that he didn't have anything to do with us avoiding the Y2K problem, that was done by a lot of planning and hard work. To people that weren't in the industry, it seems like it just disappeared or never existed, but anyone that worked in computers in the mid 90's can tell you about the endless meetings and discussions we went through to prepare for 2000. All the major software companies re-wrote their code to be Y2K compliant, every application that was developed on old platforms had to be tested on the new operating systems, re-written, re-compiled, years of work that got proportionally larger the bigger the company was.

The fact that there were so few problems still amazes me, but it definitely wasn't because John Titor went to his parent's prom.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Thank you for all your interesting links. The Alas, Babylon information is quite interesting.

So, how about this?

Let's say for arguments sake that John Titor didn't come from a post-apocalyptic future. If only to give the incredible hoax-busters a rest from their hard work.

Clear your minds. Take a deep breath.

In the year 2000 a guy called John started making predictions viz. the breakdown of civil order and a descent into a police state. He foreshadowed a lot of internet chatter about loss of freedoms, loss of control of government and such. This is all very main-stream now, but in the days pre-911, it was still pretty much out there. He was on the mark about a lot of things, which is more than can be said for other prophets.

It's like David Icke and his NWO/reptilians. You get a gut feeling that there is some truth to it until you hear about the big lizards. Or in Titor's case the time-travelling and WWIII. People tune out and forget about the important bits.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I want to believe in Titor, but here is why I don't. He speaks in terms of "years". The year 2036, the year 2000, etc. If what he states is true, then wouldn't there be a different time line for every millisecond of every second of every minute within that year? The way he spoke seemed to infer that everything was in "years". I could be wrong, and I know he gave an answer to a question similar to this, but there are too many problems with his story for me.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
hey howmuchisthedoggy,

I just want you to know I think Time travel is quite possible but I dont think it is right now.. But as we see in alot of TV shows/Moves alot of things that were made to be so crazy like Celphones and things in Star Trek are now a reality...

So i wouldnt be to suprised if we were actually time traveling now its just nobody knows about it...

Ever hear of the Philadelphia Experiment

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
One thing titor was right that he predicted that CERN would accidently develop a black hole in a lab and it did happen this year

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by warthog911
One thing titor was right that he predicted that CERN would accidently develop a black hole in a lab and it did happen this year

Yes, that and quite a few other things as well. However, most of the Titor-bashers focus on the similarities to the Alas, Babylon book and ignore everything else he says. How many books were written on WWII? How many people had similar stories?

Say someone could travel back to the 1950's from today. They started telling people about our current Big Brother society. People would then dismiss them as frauds. They probably got their idea for this mad future from that Orwell bloke and his book 1985 they would say. They would ignore everything else even though what is being said was quite astute.

Of course people have problems with what he says. He holds a mirror up to our society and we don't like what we see. The very notion he is right is enough to send chills down your spine. He had endured much debate and I have yet to be convinced he didn't exist. However I do believe his influence is having a change for the good.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
OK I belived he may have been real.. A freind IMs me and goes...

"Hey man check out this guy.. he Claims to be from the future." after he links me to the site I read the real titor site and then started looking for more.. that is then when I started finding the bad parts about him along with the good.

I made a complete diagnosis in 2 weeks.. of the staggering evidence from that site I gave you and one of the origianl people who was in on this titor gig from the beginning starting to doubt this guy is real.. it Kinda makes you wonder about how true something really is...

its kinda like I say well the WTC was taking down by a bardbardment of eggs.... now we can easily disprove that just by looking anywhere on the net.. only problem is when I found the discrediting info i accidently found it...

I still think he is fake.. he could have a few good guesses just by going on past history or just being a genious.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I still think he is fake.. he could have a few good guesses just by going on past history or just being a genious.

You make a very good point here. Even if he was fake, he was pretty spot on about more than he was slightly off about.

A genius? Doubtful....

Well-read? Maybe.

A Time-Traveller? Who knows.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Dear All,

(as a non-american) what the hell is a WACO event?

As a new member joining the forums, I haven't yet voiced my views on Titor. If he is a hoax, he would have made damned sure he cannot be called one on the evidence he presented. Most probably however, he is - I doubt a real time traveller would bother interacting with people at all

wikipedia entry on John Titor (quite conclusive)

en.wikipedia.org...

enjoy

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Hey Spikenigma

en.wikipedia.org...

This gives pretty comprehensive details about the events that occurred in Waco, Texas. A Waco event refers to any event in which the government crushes a group of people who have holed up somewhere to try and keep out of the mess created by the same government.

I will preempt the nay-sayers who are going to jump on my back with the David Koresh was a child-abusing Jesus imitator freak by saying, read the FACTS. i.e. not the tosh the rubbish news channels filled you with.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
thanks howmuchisthedoggy

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join