Other Basic Rules about life:
1. Listen First to Your Family, then to your friends.
2. Don't believe the TV news or Newspapers. Follow the money. If you want to find out why something happened, find out who will make money from it.
3. You don't need the government to do things for you. Everything that the government takes over from the people gets worse.
4. Governments steal your rights a little bit at a time. It starts off with "we're just gonna do this to protect you" and ends up with "give us that, you don't need it!"
5. Your country is not the same as your government. Love your country. If you aren't happy with the government, change it.
6. Don't lie. Your word is your honor. Nobody can take that unless you let them.
7. If for some reason someone does something for you without you asking them to, ask yourself, why would they do that, what do they want?
8. Show respect for authority, but it's okay to question it. Just because a cop says something, doesn't mean it's true. People will take you more seriously if you don't look like a smart ass.
9. Get a job, and whatever it is, do it well. Demostrate that you know how to think, not that you know how to talk back.
10. When you make decisions, use logic, reason and facts, not what you feel. Facts kick Feelings' ass every time. Emotional decisions are rarely right ones.
11. If you want to know about something or aren't sure what to do, , ask. If you can, ask someone who is much older that you respect. I asked an 80 year old man whether I should go to an Aunt's funeral that I didn't want to go to. He said that although I'd wouldn't do myself or her any good, I should go to show her family I respected her, and make them take the loss better.
12. Read at least one good book a year. I don't mean action or love stories, I mean classics. I highly recommend "The Cather In The Rye" by J.D. Salinger.