It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Canada Approves Drug Based on Cannabis for MS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Health Canada has given its approval for a drug based on cannabis for pain relief in patients afflicted with multiple sclerosis. The drug, named Sativex, was developed by GW Pharmaceuticals, a UK company, and will be marketed by the German drug giant Bayer. Canada is the first nation in the world to approve the drug.

www.canada.com
TORONTO (CP) - Drug regulators in this country have given market approval to a cannabis-based drug that can be used for relief of neuropathic pain in adults with multiple sclerosis.

GW Pharmaceuticals and Bayer HealthCare announced Tuesday that Health Canada has approved Sativex, a drug derived from components of the cannabis plant that is administered via a mouth spray. Canada is the first country in the world to approve the drug, developed by GW Pharmaceuticals and marketed in this country by pharmaceutical giant Bayer.

"Effective pain control and management are extremely important in a disease like MS," pain expert Dr. Allan Gordon said in a release issued by the companies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is good news. Keeping medicine from sick people is both immoral and unethical, even if you believe that others could abuse the drug. I hope other countries, including the U.S., will follow Canada's lead and approve marijuana and cannabis-based drugs for medicinal use.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Being a pill, are the effects gradual instead of the immediate mental shift you get when smoking pot? That's usually what people get addicted to if they get addicted to pot at all, so I could see how this would be a great alternative to giving people a joint.

For that matter, does it have the mental effects of pot, or just its pain killing properties?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Actually it's not a pill but a mouth spray. I guess that would alleviate some, but probably not all, of the complaints against the pill being less effective than the smoked form.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
lol suppose I could actually read the article before asking questions about the story...

top topics

join