It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: White House Won't Play Ball with Payola Probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The Department of Education paid commentator Armstrong Williams for positive stories on the "No Child Left Behind Act." Long standing US law prevents the government from paying for news and/or editorial in an attempt to propagandize the domestic population. (This is why Voice of America is not broadcast inside the United States.) Now the White House and members of the Bush Cabinet are doing everything possible to prevent the results of an investigation of the matter from becoming public.

www.guardian.co.uk
The Bush administration is impeding an investigation into the Education Department's hiring of commentator Armstrong Williams by refusing to allow key White House officials to be interviewed, a Democratic lawmaker briefed on the review said Thursday.

In addition, Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., said Education Secretary Margaret Spellings is considering invoking a privilege that he said would require information to be deleted when the final version is publicly released, which is expected within days.

Miller called for Jack Higgins, the inspector general at the Education Department, to delay the report until Spellings agrees not to invoke "deliberative process privilege'' and the White House grants interviews with current or former officials familiar with the deal.

"The public's right to know is absolutely more important than any claim of privilege that the White House or the Department of Education might make,'' Miller said. "The public has a right to all the facts about possible misconduct.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A free and independent press is essential to a modern democracy. If the news and opinion you read (and trust?) is bought and paid for by the government, then the range of public debate is seriously crippled.

Stonewalling this investigation suggests that the White House has reason to hide its activities in this area. Could this be the Bush administration's Watergate?

Related News Links:
seattletimes.nwsource.com
www.onlinejournal.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Third Reporter Found on Bush Payroll (from ATSNN)
Is the media still doing its job?
Jeff Gannon the "Journalist" involved in Scandal, Resigns.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by driley]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Cover up is spelled B-u-s-h A-d-m-i-n-i-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n.

Queen Laura wants the program to have good press and it WILL have good press!

With Bush appointing Judges and the Attorney General just who is going to flush this 'trout'- no one.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Tsk - the data loss un-upgraded my story.

Oh well, trust the system...

The Bush administration must not have liked the speculation that this might prove to be their Water-, Monica-, Iran-Contra-, gate.

new topics

join