It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there Ever be another Einstein?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

Will there ever be another Einstein? This is the undercurrent of conversation at Einstein memorial meetings throughout the year. A new Einstein will emerge, scientists say. But it may take a long time. After all, more than 200 years separated Einstein from his nearest rival, Isaac Newton.

Many physicists say the next Einstein hasn't been born yet, or is a baby now. That's because the quest for a unified theory that would account for all the forces of nature has pushed current mathematics to its limits. New math must be created before the problem can be solved.

But researchers say there are many other factors working against another Einstein emerging anytime soon.

For one thing, physics is a much different field today. In Einstein's day, there were a few thousand physicists worldwide, and the theoreticians who could intellectually spar with Einstein probably would fit into a streetcar with seats to spare.

Education is different, too. One crucial aspect of Einstein's training that is overlooked, says Notre Dame science historian Don Howard, is the years of philosophy he read as a teenager -- Kant, Schopenhauer and Spinoza, among others. It taught him to how to think independently and abstractly about space and time, Howard says, and it wasn't long before he became a philosopher himself.

this is a great article...

based on the "math", the next einstein is not yet born, or is a baby now...

this is amazing...

PIC: Einstein at work

other articles:

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
yes definately. there are people on this earth now that are the calibre of einstein. I think there are many people out there with great ideas that are afraid to get them out there. More and more people are staying away from science and only living day to day, not thinking about the future.

i think it was einstein that said imagination is more important than knowledge.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
yes definately. there are people on this earth now that are the calibre of einstein. I think there are many people out there with great ideas that are afraid to get them out there. More and more people are staying away from science and only living day to day, not thinking about the future.

i think it was einstein that said imagination is more important than knowledge.

yes he did say this...

and yes, there are many people with great ideas that do not / can't get their great ideas out to us...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I agree that the article is mostly a bit of fluff in search of a hard topic. The writer ignores a lot of very worthy people who are alive today (or recently passed) who were of Einstein's caliber.

Take, for instance, Richard Feynman (the polymath.) Einstein was good in just one area... Feynman was a polymath. As for current living equals/surpassors, my vote's on Stephen Hawking.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I agree that the article is mostly a bit of fluff in search of a hard topic. The writer ignores a lot of very worthy people who are alive today (or recently passed) who were of Einstein's caliber.

Take, for instance, Richard Feynman (the polymath.) Einstein was good in just one area... Feynman was a polymath. As for current living equals/surpassors, my vote's on Stephen Hawking.

what about the great:

john titior???

just kidding...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Einstein was a true genuis in both life and form. The chances of someone actually in his calibur and academic skills is pretty high given the pouplation of the Earth. Out of the 8-9 billion people, the laws of avg. kick in and say it is possible. His would be some pretty large shoes to fill if and when he or she arrives on the scene in the near future. Let's hope that whoever it is to follow uses his mind and all that comes forward to the betterment of mankind.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be an Einstein basher. I just want to raise a point. First look at where he worked as a clerk. Did he really come up with all those ideas? And how many of his ideas are actually law? How many have been REALLY proven versus how many just can't be proven wrong instead of right. There is no doubt he was smart. But was he really the greatest ever or just smart and a good BS artist?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I'm not trying to be an Einstein basher. I just want to raise a point. First look at where he worked as a clerk. Did he really come up with all those ideas? And how many of his ideas are actually law? How many have been REALLY proven versus how many just can't be proven wrong instead of right. There is no doubt he was smart. But was he really the greatest ever or just smart and a good BS artist?

he sure could b.s. good then.

the world is still waiting on his many ideas. there is a technology gap.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm not going to proclaim to be an Einstein expert so help me fill in the blanks. He worked on the atomic bomb right? Of his ideas what has been proven to be right? Being right doesn't mean that they were just not able to prove you wrong. What ideas were proven right? Any?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
www.humboldt1.com... timeline of his works and life.

www.doug-long.com... read that for info about the atomic bomb. the first line should answer your question.

As for the proof, thats up to you to decide.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The way I see it, Einstein came along during a time when the inventions he made and the theories he produced stuck out like a sore thumb. Someone could be as brilliant as he is now, but with technology so advanced the way it is now, that person may be lost in the crowd.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Lets hope not. We don't need no more spacetime speed limit cops (roflmaoumbbo) !

Once you study him enough, his 'solutions' leave more questions than answers. He was more lucid than Heisenberg (I think, I mean maybe- you know) ! ? But thats not saying much.

Judge Hawking on his math. Then propose your own, better theories.

Just my relatively curmudgeonly two cents.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I don't know if this will shed any light on the subject, but here's a quote I recently read in A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

In 1979, physicist and author C.P. Snow noted that Einstein's special theory of relativity probably would have been thought of within 5 years if Einstein hadn't done it then. But about the general theory, Snow wrote, "Without it, it is likely that we should still be waiting for the theory today."

I don't believe anyone capable of making a leap like that is going to come along anytime soon. Unification theory, strings, or whatever is developed next will be solved by a group of individuals working over time. Geniuses in their own right, but still not the great leap that Einstein made.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Will there ever be another person quite like Einstein? No. No one could ever compare to him, he was his own person. I do think however, that there are people such as Stephen Hawkins and Carl Sagan that are possibly on the same level as he.

apc

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I applaud A. Einstein's dedication to his work which brought us to a greater level of understanding about the universe we share a piece of, but he really was just the second mouse to the cheese (first one's dead, remember? ar..). Same thing happens in every field.. everyones trying to figure out a better way of doing something, and then finally someone takes a different perspective and *ding* it all comes together. Happened with the clock, airplane, transistors, every major leap in every field probably ever, and it happen[s] in Physics. The Physics achievements astound us the most because they alter our perception of existance itself.
All Im sayin is he was a great man with a grasp of physics and mathematics beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve, but in the panoramic widescreen version he wasn't that special.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by apc]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
well...

there ARE major tech. leaps when a war is finished...

this is a proven fact...

who are responsible for these leaps???

PEOPLE...

so, it makes sense...

i mean, WW3 is starting soon

or, an american civil war

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The problem with finding another Einstein these days is that individuals rarely get the dredit for any of their work... most people work in research teams as part of large corporation... it is often these research corporations that get the credit and money for any of the inventions or discoveries made.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What made Einstein special was not his IQ because there are people with higher IQ's. Einstein is special because he singlehandedly changed the way we look at spacetime and created new math along the way. His paper "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" included no references or citations this meant he just came up with it out of his head. This is totally amazing considering that most historians consider that paper which took Einstein less than a year to write just as complete a paper as Newton's Principia which took Newton a lifetime to write.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'd say Hawkings is pretty damn close...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
i find it amazing that people come up with these ideas all by themselves...

i am learning physics (in high-school) and we learned about some regular men comming up with great ideas with nothing but math and without a calculator

THIS is amazing...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join