It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientist may have re-created the universes first moments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Scientist believe they have recreated what may have been the beginning of the universe. By smashing two gold ions together at speeds close to the speed of light, an unexpected reaction occurred. The particles formed a "perfect" liquid called a quark-gluon plasma. They believe this perfect liquid existed instantly after the Big Bang, but only for a moment.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"We have a new state of matter," said Sam Aronson, associate laboratory director for high-energy and nuclear physics at the Brookhaven National Laboratory.

"We think we are looking at a phenomenon ... in the universe 13 billion years ago when free quarks and gluons ... cooled down to the particles that we know today," Aronson told a news conference carried by telephone from a meeting of the American Physical Society in Tampa, Fla.

Liquid, not a gas
The quark-gluon plasma was made in the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider — a powerful atom smasher at Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, N.Y. Unexpectedly, the quark-gluon plasma behaved like a perfect liquid of quarks, instead of a gas, the physicists said.

For their experiment, the researchers smashed two gold ions together at extremely high speeds, very close to the speed of light. The collision was so intense that the strong force that usually binds quarks into protons and neutrons weakened, allowing the quarks to roam freely.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The experiment seems to go hand in hand with the increasingly popular string theory due to the theory being used to explain how the particles move within the liquid.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 18-4-2005 by mpeake]

[edit on 18-4-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure why this is being dished up as news. I've read about this phenomenon in plenty of magazines years ago. But, hey, yea, its interesting I guess.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
When it was first reported, it was just the beginning of the sudy. Now, a lot more analyses have been completed and what we see is indeed unusual. The hunt was for the "quark-gluon" plasma, and if this is what we see, it's not entirely what was expected. It is dense all right, and it is short-lived.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Quark-gluon plasmas have been reported for a long time now, dubbed the 4th state of matter by many. Search for quark gluon plasma research and see how old the studies are. As well, the connection between the Big Bang and string theory is oldl. I think MSNBC is just having a slow news day, this is old stuff.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Jamuhn]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The announcement was made at the American Physical Society, so the news article is indeed news.

Now... The Quark Gluon Plasma has never been reported in the discovery statement context, until now. If you have sources proving otherwise, I'd be more than grateful if you share them.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Some more info on the subject...

While many RHIC collisions will produce interesting results, a rare few might create something even more special: a new form of matter.
Actually, it's not new to the universe, just to human eyes. It's thought to have existed ten millionths of a second after the Big Bang at the dawn of the universe. It may also exist in the cores of very dense stars called neutron stars.

This form of matter is called quark-gluon plasma or QGP. Like its name suggests, QGP is a "soup", or plasma, of quarks and gluons. (see physics primer)

Physicists believe that RHIC collisions will compress and heat the gold nuclei so much that their individual protons and neutrons will overlap, creating an enormously energetic area where, for a brief time, a relatively large number of free quarks and gluons can exist. This is the quark-gluon plasma.
www.bnl.gov...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Is news always 'new?' I don't think so.

Different perspectives, reminders of the existing, etc. I can't imagine anything to do with evolution being new (it has existed for eons) but it sure makes headlines.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
The announcement was made at the American Physical Society, so the news article is indeed news.

Now... The Quark Gluon Plasma has never been reported in the discovery statement context, until now. If you have sources proving otherwise, I'd be more than grateful if you share them.

Thanks!

Will do! I like disproving people who are full of themselves...

From A strange quark plasma (October 2000)

Until about 40 microseconds after the big bang, according to theory, the universe consisted of a very hot gas of free quarks, antiquarks and gluons: this gas is called a "quark-gluon plasma".

physicsweb.org...
I guess the news is that the discovered it is a liquid. But what is the significance?

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Jamuhn]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ok, is it just me or what's gonna happen if they're more succesfull? Are they gonna create a new universe inside our own that starts to rapidly grow in size? It would only have to grow a tiny fraction of our own universes size to engulf the whole planet. I dont like these kind of experiments where the scientist aren't quite sure about what's going to happen.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I guess this does away with those antiquated theories about the proto-particle the size of this coma, since free gluons and quarks need some space between them to be "free".

So, how big was this particle anyway? How did it manage to explode all at once? Wouldn't the bonding of quarks and gluons actually make this proto-particle shrink? Can we change this theory's name to "The Big Bounce"?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It is a nice dicovery but remember it does not discuss the pre-"Big Bang" conditions to enable any quarks or gluons to exist. May further discoveries be made that enlighten us about God's amazing creation.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well, some scientist had to play Creator to create the gluon plasma, so maybe our universe could be a spark in an alien or godlike testtube , I am just glad the experiment didn't get out of hand, they keep saying they don't have enough energy to recreate a full blown big bang, all swalling strangelets, supernova type1a or a hungry black hole, but when you skate on the bounderies of our knowledge , there might be some unknowns that even The Hawkins and the einsteins of this earth could have not forseen, I would rather have they have less hurry for a nobel prize and do their tricky stuff on the moon or something....

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn

Originally posted by Aelita

Thanks!

Will do! I like disproving people who are full of themselves...

Go right ahead
I've been working on this stuff since 1991, and am always eager to learn new things, even from unexpected sources.

From A strange quark plasma (October 2000)

Until about 40 microseconds after the big bang, according to theory, the universe consisted of a very hot gas of free quarks, antiquarks and gluons: this gas is called a "quark-gluon plasma".

physicsweb.org...
I guess the news is that the discovered it is a liquid. But what is the significance?

LOL read carefully : according to the theory. The difference is that this stuff has been (or so we like to think) discovered experimentally. Do you see?

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Aelita]

new topics

top topics

join