It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nogger Black' ice cream accused of being racist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Gaaaaa!!!!
i can't believe that the world has become so ANAL!!!

If nogger means nougat...then what's the big deal...the name is descriptive of the product...and if people have to be so politically correct as to believe that it is aimed at them or a group of them personally...they need to go back to bed and dream of a perfect world run by government robots where anyone with a sense of humour is prosecuted because they are different...geeze loueeze....LIGHTEN UP....

~oracle

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good grief. I think it's funny. Whether it's meant to be offensive or not. I mean, blacks make fun of whites, whites make fun of blacks. PC is such BS. Some people....And that's all I will say on this thread, period.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
BTW, only in Europe would they come up with a flavor combination of licorice and, what looks to be, vanilla ice cream.

At Dairy Queen, they sell licorice milkshakes, and they don't taste all that bad. A little too sweet and they leave your mouth black, but I've tasted worse. This could just be a Canadian thing though.

Originally posted by drogo
just like we have smarties, then they came out with an orange chockolate flavered orange coulouredveision, they still named it smarties and not orangeies. that was product recognition.

Just to clarify, for the American readers, this refers to the international/original version of Smarties, not the candies that are called Smarties in the US. Just in case some of you are going 'WTF??? There's no chocolate in Smarties'. Non-US Smarties are like M&M's, but with a slightly different tasting chocolate. YUMMY!!!

I think in Canada, US Smarties are called 'Rockets'. They are also very yummy.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is rediculous, would any caucasian people on here get upset if some company released "Super white crackers"? I doubt it. People need to stop being so sensitive about stuff like this.

And in canada smarties are called smarties...

[edit on 4/18/2005 by smatts]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
When will the so called "offended" ever get a life? I suppose if it were "Nogger White" there would be some that would be pissed because they felt left out. It would appear that the one who is served gold on a silver platter would still be unsatisfied.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by smatts

In the US, Smarties are called Smarties, as well. They are two different candies though. In the US, if you get Smarties, they will not be candy-coated chocolate, but will be what we in Canada would call 'Rockets', most commonly seen at Halloween.

Rockets are distributed in Canada by Regal Confections, but are actually owned and operated by an American company called Ce De Candy Inc., who distributes the candy in the United States under the name Smarties.

Everythin g you ever wanted to know about Rockets but were afraid to ask

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Read the previous posts before replying, and avoid making a fool out of yourself.

As I stated earlier, n•••er means the same in Scandinavia as in English speaking countries, and it's just as offensive, if not more.

I used a dictionary and a translation service. Obviously you used neither.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I really don't see the problem with the name.
I've been saying nogger, and nogga as long as I can remember, so why can't an ice cream be called the same thing?
I'd sure as to hell buy it.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smatts
This is rediculous, would any caucasian people on here get upset if some company released "Super white crackers"? I doubt it. People need to stop being so sensitive about stuff like this.

[edit on 4/18/2005 by smatts]

Lol damn right!
I'd buy em just because of the name lmmfao.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
People get offended at the strangest things. In Spain I was amused by some Raisinet-like candies called "Congolitos." Why Congo? It was all part of the marketting. The mascot/charachter was a very overly stereotyped black child. Think childrens comic book from 1930 or so depicting the old south. Not so bad, really, but what really put it over the top was the free black child mask you got with the combo packs.

I remember picking up a pack because, well, I like raisinettes and thinking that this candy would NEVER make it out of the factory in the USA with the offense police.

I'm surprised that ice cream caused so much controversy overseas where things that make people squirm over here are more tolerated.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gekko

Read the previous posts before replying, and avoid making a fool out of yourself.

As I stated earlier, n•••er means the same in Scandinavia as in English speaking countries, and it's just as offensive, if not more.

So? Your point being what? That is not the word being used for this product and further more, if it offends you so much, don't buy the product but please allow everyone else the same freedom to make that choice for themselves.

You know, living a life where one awakes every morning with the sole purpose of finding something to offend them has to be a miserable existence. Turn loose of this judgemental attitude and live your life. Nothing about the name of the product mentioned even remotely resembles a racist slur to logical people.

Nogger is a line of their product. This product is a spin off of the original Nogger product with black licorice added thus the name. Much like our American Beer Michelob which came out with a Michelob Dark...uh because the beer was a dark ale. Does that offend you too? Because we are a visual race (the human race) and color is a part of everything we view, it only stands to reason we would differentiate similar objects by the shade of their color.

I guess we would also have to change Mello-Yello too. Hell, I might as well be pissed at the thought of a Pale Ale because of my skin color. I think it all comes down to accpeting one's self for what one's self is and the fact that there is nothing that is ever going to change they way we are born into the world. People want the world to get over racism and I think most of the world is trying but before that will suceed, those who depend upon the very thing they espouse to erraticate as an excuse for a great many things, are going to have to let go of it too.

No, I don't expect anyone to admit to it or to stop it. Racism will only be a thing of the past when the races have fully integrated to the point that each person on earth has similar traits. A few thousand years at the current rate should do it.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oracle
If nogger means nougat...then what's the big deal...the name is descriptive of the product

There no nougat in the bar. Its made dark black. its title is writtne grafiti like. Lets not pretend that the exec board saw the add and didn't put two and two together.

smatts
get upset if some company released "Super white crackers"?

If there was a 'honeky donkey' ice cream that had a big cartoon donkey in overalls and looking like a redneck, I think most people would be justified in taking offense. Cracka isn't much perceived as an insult. The word here most certainly is.

astrocreep
This product is a spin off of the original Nogger product with black licorice added thus the name. Much like our American Beer Michelob which came out with a Michelob Dark...uh because the beer was a dark ale.

So when you, or at least a person form that country familiar with the usage see

Nothing comes to mind 'cept a tasty licorice ice cream? I mean, if so, then fair enough, but i personally find it hard to beleive that hte people making and approving the add weren't snickering to themselves.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What exactly does "Nogger" mean? It seems awfully close to another word to demean blacks.

Personally, I don't really care, but I don't really understand who they are trying to appeal to.

Blacks may be offended, Whites wouldn't be affected. So you are alienting some people from your product.

JUST CALL IT A CHOCOLATE BAR!! Ice cream names have gotton way to creative...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by Oracle
If nogger means nougat...then what's the big deal...the name is descriptive of the product

There no nougat in the bar. Its made dark black. its title is writtne grafiti like. Lets not pretend that the exec board saw the add and didn't put two and two together.

smatts
get upset if some company released "Super white crackers"?

If there was a 'honeky donkey' ice cream that had a big cartoon donkey in overalls and looking like a redneck, I think most people would be justified in taking offense. Cracka isn't much perceived as an insult. The word here most certainly is.

astrocreep
This product is a spin off of the original Nogger product with black licorice added thus the name. Much like our American Beer Michelob which came out with a Michelob Dark...uh because the beer was a dark ale.

Nothing comes to mind 'cept a tasty licorice ice cream? I mean, if so, then fair enough, but i personally find it hard to beleive that hte people making and approving the add weren't snickering to themselves.

First off Cracker is most certainly offensive as offensive as nigg-er(apparently the settings will not permit this word to be typed the the way it is supposed to be spelled...but craker is?) . And if the products you mentioned were produced in the US then yes it would be very offensive. However this product is named in another language that happens to have a word that vaguely sounds like an English racial slur. Pure coincidence. And the fact that this ice cream bar name has gotten so much attention is because people just need somethig to complain about and apparently a large group of people look for anything to be offensive so they can spew their own hate.

There has to be more important things to really take issue with....right?

[edit on 21-4-2005 by CHANGELING]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am not really that offended being called a cracker. Blacks take insults way to far. Rednecks are not offended and I am not offended by being called a cracker.

We are way to politically correct today...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

astrocreep

Actually, it doesn't (or at least didn't before reading this post) bring a racial slur to mind.

A. Because there is no word or combination of words that can be construed as a direct or indirect insult to race.

B. The making of Ice Cream bars and the "theory of nougat" are not related to racial issues.

C. Because this brand is a long established product, it is only logical to assume that the addition of black licorice is the reason for the addition.

Just as my first example, Michelob Beer having a Michelob Dark line means that this is the same premise product with the addition or slight alteration spawning the need to differentiate it using said difference. Not all products do this because we also have stouts and Ales. Most of these products are named by marketing strategist (took marketing for my econ minor requirments) to give the consumer a memorable, quick description of said product.

Usually, the brand name or product line such as Ford or Chevrolet and a detailed descriptive word to give the consumer and instant understanding of the difference. I guess they could have called it "Nogger Licorice Ice Cream which is not white, red, bule, green, yellow, orange, or purple" but thats a hell of a lot to get on the package. Why do it when one descriptive word sufficed?

Just as the example of the word "niggardly" given earlier has absolutly no foundation nor relation to racial issues, this seems a fabrication by those who have just about succeeded in eraticating racial slurs (something I am so appreciative of) to retain their cause.

Just as those who will someday cure cancer will be heralded as great, they too will likely, after spending their life's work toward the cause, will not fully accept the accomplishment at first. Why? ... well I think it's evident that those who dedicate themselves to a single cause and reach their goal have a tough time with moving on. I think we see this behavior a great deal in all walks of life.

I used to work in construction. After spending a year or more worrying, working and living getting a job complete, it was a bit difficult to know that the last day on that job was the last day of the routine I had developed over that period. My routine and "cause" was relatively short lived compared to those who fight their whole lives never giving a thought to what they would do if it all of the sudden wasn't a problem anymore.

The act of beginning a new cause, I feel, is the reason we see such petty, disallusioned fabrications. Thankfully, some people learn to accept change and adapt. easier said than done.

I do not mean to say that we have no racial issues but that such progress has been made in the last century, those born into this active cause and taught by those they held in asteem may all of the sudden have the inclination to carry on this cause without adjusting to the very changes they created even if it means helping to stoke the fire a little themselves.

The answer and "cure" of course slowly comes with the passing of time a generations. In a hundred years, Nogger may still be an Ice Cream treat and may have many product developments such as Nogger White, Nogger Lite (for us who watch their weight) and maybe even a Nogger Banana. Who knows? But, I venture to say that the little stink raised here today by such an off the wall fabrication will not be an issue then.

Thats my opinion and the last time I checked I still had a right to form it. It does not directly relate to racial issues only but all issues of human nature. The fact that racial equality is the chosen goal (and a noble and appreciated one it is) does not negate this issue of human nature.

So, in summation; Its an Ice Cream Bar.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
In Finland (Swedens neigbour to you geologically challenged) we can buy 'Negros kiss' and some candy have a very stereotypical African black person with huge red lips and stuff in them. Yet no1 seems to complain, maybe we just dont have enough activist or minorities in here. I'd like to think that we're just more laid back.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
In Finland (Swedens neigbour to you geologically challenged) we can buy 'Negros kiss' and some candy have a very stereotypical African black person with huge red lips and stuff in them. Yet no1 seems to complain, maybe we just dont have enough activist or minorities in here. I'd like to think that we're just more laid back.

Well, someone would have every right to be offended about that. Its clearly denoting a racial slur. Although the majority of us who are stereotyped can laugh at ourselves such as southern rednecks and of course us hillbillys, I understand why its is a bit more of a serious issue for people of color. In none of my previous post did I mean to downplay the seriousness of bigotry but simply to state that in the case of this thread, alot of reading in had been done.

With what you just posted, none is necessary. Its blatant insulting slurs.

Thanks for bringing it to light.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
In Finland (Swedens neigbour to you geologically challenged) we can buy 'Negros kiss'

Out of curiosity, what does geology have to do with that?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
In my eyes it's very smart to name something that close to being offensive. Advertising is an expensive thing. If you can get coverage of your product without damaging the profits of your company, then your on to a winner.

Now, I know what word Nogger is similar to in English, but is it the same or not in their native language? There are lots of amusingly named products around the world as any visitor to the Engrish site will testify.

Anyway, time to go to the freezer.

I couldn't agree more...

the chevy nova didn't sell very well in spanish speaking countries....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join