It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nogger Black' ice cream accused of being racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by gekko
Do you see any nougat in this ice-cream? No? It's a liquorice ice-cream, not a nougat ice-cream.

I think the nougat is the black part itself. In other words, it's black nougat or a nougat core with a black coating. That's the way I see it at least.

BTW, only in Europe would they come up with a flavor combination of licorice and, what looks to be, vanilla ice cream.

Peace

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I think the nougat is the black part itself. In other words, it's black nougat or a nougat core with a black coating.[edit on 18-4-2005 by Dr Love]

The black is liquorice not "black nougat". I think the only connection to nougat is the similarity to the old ice-cream.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Ewww...I hate licorice. An icecream bar made of that stuff sounds
disgusting to me..lol.
Maybe that company should've had another icecream bar called
"Honky White" to go with "Nogger Black"? Maybe just a vanilla
bar with a white chocolate coating? I'd have liked that one better.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by elaine]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The black is liquorice not "black nougat". I think the only connection to nougat is the similarity to the old ice-cream.

If this was the case then of course their PA campaign tried to employ a controversial connection in order to further sales and create free advertisment.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

So that makes the product even more FUBAR!!

They should make a product called "Shat on a Stick" and see how many people would buy it.

Maybe the ice cream is licorice flavor.

Peace

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Before people start getting their drawers in a wad they need to realize there is a thing called "a different language". Think about it - in England a cigarette is called a fag, and a diaper is called a napkin. Different marketing for different languages. Guess what someone is always going to be offended no matter what. I'm sure if this were marketed somewhere else they would change the name. Right now the only problem I have is that I don't like licorace and looks totally icky!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritdancer
Before people start getting their drawers in a wad they need to realize there is a thing called "a different language". Think about it - in England a cigarette is called a fag, and a diaper is called a napkin. Different marketing for different languages. Guess what someone is always going to be offended no matter what. I'm sure if this were marketed somewhere else they would change the name. Right now the only problem I have is that I don't like licorace and looks totally icky!

Right!

I suppose, given my ethnicity, I should sue the local bar for serving drinks such as "Black Russian", the Japanese Americans should do the same for the cocktail called "Kamikazi" and the German Americans should probably check out the "Screaming Nazi"

LOL

I'm glad to see that most people here are enlightened and don't take this ice cream idiocy too seriously

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Before people start getting their drawers in a wad they need to realize there is a thing called "a different language". Think about it - in England a cigarette is called a fag, and a diaper is called a napkin. Different marketing for different languages.

'Nogger' means 'nougat' in Sweden, however the product 'Nogger Black' doesn't even include nougat within the ice cream. The name was purely for shock value.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well the goal of advertising is to get people to talk about your product. From the looks of this thread, they've succeeded like gangbusters.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Before people start getting their drawers in a wad they need to realize there is a thing called "a different language".

[...]

Guess what someone is always going to be offended no matter what. I'm sure if this were marketed somewhere else they would change the name.

Read the previous posts before replying, and avoid making a fool out of yourself.

As I stated earlier, n•••er means the same in Scandinavia as in English speaking countries, and it's just as offensive, if not more.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

'Nogger' means 'nougat' in Sweden, however the product 'Nogger Black' doesn't even include nougat within the ice cream. The name was purely for shock value.

The name was purely for selling power due to it being related to the original Nogger. There is a chocolate bar in England called Mars. It doesn't actually contain any of the red planet.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Ok thats out of control. Mcafrika, meh. But this? Yikes!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma

The name was purely for selling power due to it being related to the original Nogger. There is a chocolate bar in England called Mars. It doesn't actually contain any of the red planet.

Yeah, I think the new Nogger has same form factor as the old one. But it's of different colour, hence the qualification of "black".

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well the goal of advertising is to get people to talk about your product. From the looks of this thread, they've succeeded like gangbusters.

Yeah, you are probably right. This has gotten way to much attention. So their tactic is working, my guess is this icecream is doing very good at the moment.

So you don´t have liquorice coated icecream in the States!? you´re missing out, it´s really good, honest
(though it should be noted I have not tested this Nogger Black yet)

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dawnaj
Yeah, you are probably right. This has gotten way to much attention. So their tactic is working, my guess is this icecream is doing very good at the moment.

The ice cream actually comes out in May, so yea...if this was their intent then they executed it well.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Genius marketing, if you ask me. The stupid little ice cream cone made it all the way here. Name one russian ice cream cone..bet ya cant! Now let em name one "Kikeles" and see what happens...God, I love marketing...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Genius marketing, if you ask me. The stupid little ice cream cone made it all the way here. Name one russian ice cream cone..bet ya cant!

I can. The "48 kopeek" was developed in early 80s and became a hit almost immediately. Quite rich and smooth tasting, just plain vanilla, packaged as a brick

It doesn't cost just 48 kopeek anymore, but the name stuck and became a major brand.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think the whole think is just a stupid as this:

Washington, DC's black Mayor, Anthony Williams, gladly accepted the resignation of his white staff member, David Howard, because Mr. Howard uttered the word 'niggardly' in a private staff meeting.

Webster's Tenth Edition defines the word 'niggardly' to "grudgingly mean about spending or granting". The Barnhard Dictionary of Etymology traces the origins of 'niggardly' to the 1300's, and to the words 'nig' and 'ignon', meaning "miser" in Middle English. No where in any of these references is any mention of racial connotations associated with the word 'niggardly'.

In other words, it's a perfectly good and useful word. But there is the unfortunate coincidence that it starts with the same four letters as the word "'n-word'". The news media are so loathe to use the "N" word, that they've been substituting the phrase "racial slur", as in "...they mistook the word 'niggardly' for a racial slur..."

www.adversity.net...

So now the media is substituting "nogger" as a racial slur? I understand the company has sold Nogger ice cream for decades, but now there is a "black" ice cream so it is racist?

I never once protested "Cracker Jack" as racist. They even have a "Ma Bra" on their website. Must be sexist too insulting women with that.

Edit: Oh yeah...I protest "white chocolate", the paint known as "whitewash" too and of course the "White House".

[edit on 18-4-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Edit: Oh yeah...I protest "white chocolate", the paint known as "whitewash" too and of course the "White House".

[edit on 18-4-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

It's funny you should mention that. Jason Williams, the point guard for the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies, is nicknamed "white chocolate". I bet you can figure out why. Believe me, that's more flattering than it is disrespectful to a honky. Personally, I think it's the coolest nickname I've ever heard. Darryl Dawkins, a black, former NBA player was nicknamed "chocolate thunder" and never seemed to mind.

Peace

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
well it won't find a place in my freezer, and only because i can't stand black licorish. yuk.

it is ovious to me after reading this, that the name is for product recognition. they have a "nogger" bar so if you like that you will possibly try nogger black.just like we have smarties, then they came out with an orange chockolate flavered orange coulouredveision, they still named it smarties and not orangeies. that was product recognition.

yes i am sure some will take offence at the name. they need to do some growing up and see that not everyone hates them and wants to offend them. the very fact that just the name sets them off when it is in a foren country just proves how insecure and hatefull some people realy are. fag and gaty are two other words that have disapeared out of north america just because some found insult with them fag is a cigarette butt. gay means happy. but due to these terms being used as a derogitory terms for those who are homosexual, they are now considered akin to swear words. perhapse since "craker" is a derogitory word for a white person we should rename the food product? some people should learn that it is the way a word is used and not the word itself that is derogitory.

remember when they tried to bann Tom Sawyer the novel because it used what is now considered a derogitory word for the african american? it was not used in a negitive manor. it was used as the original meaning. it just meant that the person had dark skin. like i said people should stop going out of their ways to find insult where non is intended. grow up and learn that everything is not ment to cast you in a negitive light. that is in your own mind. come out from the shadows and become enlightend, join society as people not "victoms" at every turn. only take offence at that is actualy meant to be an insult. do not continuasly invent problems in your own mind, there are more then enough real problems to solve out there.:shk:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join