It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Flying Cars going into production

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Self-taught inventor Woody Norris, who has created the AirScooter, will begin selling his flying car for $50,000. The AirScooter is capable of flying "for 2 hours at 55 mph, and go up to 10,000 feet above sea level", can be flown in non-restricted airspace if kept under 400 ft, and will not need a pilot license to operate. The AirScooter's production seems to go hand in hand with NASA's latest development of their computer system called "The Highway in the Sky". This system will allow millions the ability to operate their flying machines while taking off and landing just about anywhere.

www.cbsnews.com
The folks at NASA have built something called “The Highway in the Sky.” It's a computer system designed to let millions of people fly whenever they please, and take off and land from wherever they please, in their very own vehicles.

And here’s the good news -- a lot of people are building machines you’ll be
able to buy.

One of those people is an inventor named Woody Norris. This week, he will receive America’s top prize for invention. It’s called the Lemelson-MIT award -- a half-million dollar cash prize to honor his life’s work, which includes a brand new personal flying machine. Correspondent Bob Simon reports.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's called the AirScooter, and self-taught inventor Woody Norris says it goes on sale later this year.

Norris, 66, asked one of his test pilots to demonstrate the AirScooter for 60 Minutes on a hilltop outside San Diego, Calif. It can fly for 2 hours at 55 mph, and go up to 10,000 feet above sea level.

"Look how quickly it stops, hovers, sideways, sideways, straight down," Norris tells Simon.

Everything is controlled from the motorcycle-like handle bar. Push it forward and the two counter-rotating blades pivot forward. Push it back and it goes back. Norris says you won’t need a pilot’s license if you fly it under 400 feet in non-restricted air space. And he’s going to sell it for $50,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I remember seeing the AirScooter on TV years ago, and had always wondered when it may go into production. It seemed that affordability would have been the main reason for the delay, but that seems to be not a problem now, with the vehicle selling for a mere $50,000. Flying cars have always been a focal point in sci-fi visions of the future, and they now seem to be in the present. In 10 to 15 years, they will begin to hit the general public. First being used in law enforcement and military avenues, but if successful, the average citizen will get to zip around in one of their own.

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com

[edit on 18-4-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Brilliant! I think this is a fantastic development......however there are some folks who have yet to master driving the freeways....what should be done with those people?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Too bad it runs on Gasoline.

I really like the idea of "flying cars" and the "highway in the sky" but none of these cool ideas are going to make it when the world runs out of oil.

Very cool article, nonetheless. Now if we can get the "Electric SkyCar" or even better... the "Solar SkyCar" we are really making some progress.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hopefully, the stop and go traffic we have now will be less of an issue, thus reducing the use of fuel that is burned on a daily commute.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I also have been following this, and never thought it would happen. I just think it is too dangerous. Even a minor fender bender up there could be disasterous. How safe would you feel up there in bad weather? They say it can stay aloft for two hours, but I wonder what the milage is. I guess if you're willing to spend 50 grand, you don't worry about gas prices.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
We drive bad enough on the ground.....Now we want to put people in the air and tell them they don't need a special license to drive..er, fly it??

This is about as half-baked as a frozen pizza....

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
10,000ft above sea level? Nice, not that I'd personally risk it.

It's a good idea but it'll probably take along time to catch on. I'm not too fond of hearing that you don't need a special license to fly it...

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Ultron10]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Great concept, but at 55 MPH and with all the restricted airspace out there it will take longer to get there via air then on a road making it nothing more then a huge waste of money.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
First heard about this a few years ago. I'm glad to see it's finally ready.

Now the mods know what to get me on my Birthday

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
First heard about this a few years ago. I'm glad to see it's finally ready.

Now the mods know what to get me on my Birthday

Look, I also read about this some 8 years or so ago. What didn't change was the tether supporting the vehicles during the demonstration.

I have a feeling that they need some cash flow and want (again) to attract investors. To rephrase, I'm afraid this is hype.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
They will all be controlled by GPS people will NOT be flying them that is too dangerous. read up on it you'll find out everythin on google.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have been waiting for this since I first saw the thing on Beyond 2000 but the only problem is that I just can't see blowing $50,000 on something that is as of yet unproven.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I saw the AirScooter on 60 minutes last night and was impressed by it's stability and manuverability. I've been following the Moller Air Car for several years and was hoping that would be the first flying car to go into production, but it doesn't look like much progress has been made.

Flying cars MUST become a reality. I don't have any good reason, why besides the fact that I've always dreamed of having them and they're just plain cool. This has to happen, despite the risks. Sure crashes would be alot more spectacular and deadly, but who cares? We'll have freakin' flying cars!
It would be worth the risk. We'd get used to the fact that an aircar could come crashing down on our heads at any moment. It would be exciting! Live a little!

Realistically, many of the flying car pioneers think aircar traffic will be automated and controlled by a central hub. So the human factor is taken out. Bad drivers won't matter. Think Star Wars Ep2 with a bunch of cars flying in orderly highways in the sky. *swoons*

PS- I do think they need to run on something besides gas though. Also, they need....mufflers of some kind. They're a bit loud to have flying in the thousands above a city.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
I have been waiting for this since I first saw the thing on Beyond 2000 but the only problem is that I just can't see blowing $50,000 on something that is as of yet unproven.

I don't have 50k either, but wasn't there an amphibious car made in UK, which Branson used to break the record of crossing the channel? They are supposedly well built and quite expensive, but rich people are buying them anyway.

I've seen a few Lamborghini in NYC and in Europe

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by cohiba

Why is this an issue? The DN42 Twin Star light aircraft did a 12.5 hour crossing from London, Ontario, Canada to Porto, Portugal, Europe using only $200 of fuel - fantastic efficiency (72gal used for the entire crossing)!

Yes, its powered by diesel, but still its a lot better mileage than you get on most cars on the US roads these days. Unfortuantely, its slightly more expensive than this car, but it still proves that flight need not be as expensive as everyone believes

www.diamond-air.at...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice

Why is this an issue?

Because the world does not have an unending supply of gasoline.

See - PEAK OIL

Future improvements to transportation should take this into account.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I think it needs a better name, I meen, AirScooter? C'mon!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Why is this an issue?

Gasoline - shmazoline.

By the time the technology matures, there is a chance there will be biofuel available, such as ethanol produced from corn. It'll be cool to fly an advanced aerial vehicle powered by moonshine

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Why is this an issue?

See - PEAK OIL

Future improvements to transportation should take this into account.

Peak Oil is a quasi liberal premise, think about it. All of these eco friendly groups spouting about scacity are sponsored by huge corporations and cartels. Documents about an "IMF riot," ostensibly confirm so called privatization which is confiscation of water supplies and tripling of rates, concurrent with third world nations held hostage by these mafia styled financiers.

You can clearly see history of the 1970s "oil crisis," as it has been proven to be a total fraud, a "phoney gas crisis." So far they are simply raising prices gradually, while reducing refining capacity. There is enough oil in Alaska to run the United States for 100 years and more. So consider the Diamond cartel, and why a low grade semi precious stone is sold for thousands of dollars due to total control of the market. 100 dollar a barrel Oil is the product of a planned scarcity, as well as a controlled media.

Peak Oil is corporate rubbish.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hmmm, went to www.airscooter.com I wouldnt really call that a flying car. Its an ultra light isnt it? I mean a flying car is a CAR, that can fly. Not an Ulrta Light that has handle bars lol..

Thats like calling a Plane a Flying Boat Which is actually a more closer comparison than this is to a Flying car.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join