It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very strange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
what would happen if you managed to dig a hole right trough the earth and out the other side and jumped in. it is just when u reach the middle you will be floating because u can't fall upwards

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Actually, pretending you were invincible of course *
*, you would experience a decreasing oscillation through the center point. You'd come out just about at the elevation you went in - but on the other side, and slightly lower. Then you'd come back lower than that on the side you jumped in and so on and so forth until you hovered at the center of the earth.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
AAAAAAggggggghhhhh, it's burning! Ouch, oohh, ouch, hot lava! Not sure though if you were able to form a tube and jump in and be protected from the elements inside the earth. Wonder how fast you would fall? And how long it would take, and if you would actually make it to the other side?

Troy

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well......SOME folks think that once inside the Earth, you would find a vast civilization of Reptillian shape shifters doing they're ~THING~.......maybe they would find YOU a tasty treat al'la Ewok style YUM YUM! make sure you take a shiney gold droid with you for protection!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
you build the hole and i'll donate an old boss for the experiment.

it is a rather interesting question though. would you continue through or would you stop rather suddenly at the center?
would gravety increase dramatiticaly at the center? if so by how much? please dig the tunnel i would rather like to see. i could probably come up with the test subject within a few days.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
it is a rather interesting question though. would you continue through or would you stop rather suddenly at the center?
would gravety increase dramatiticaly at the center? if so by how much?

I would think gravity would decrease. Gravity increases with mass. At the center of the Earth there would be similar amounts of mass in every direction and would 'cancel each other out'.

The center of mass of the Earth is not at the geometric center of the geoid (Earth is sorta lumpy inside). I think it is roughly 30 KM from the center towards Australia. Not sure about that, I'll have to do some research to verify.

top topics

join