It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 'Peace Irreversible' Between India and Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
India-Pakistan relations warmed further on Monday as Pakistan's President Musharraf and Indian PM Singh wrapped up a three day summit between the two nuclear-armed nations. In a joint statement, the two leaders proclaimed that the peace process between the countries is "irreversible" and announced a package of new trade and cross-border travel agreements. Although the Kashmir situation is still a sticking point, the pair seem dedicated to find a diplomatic rather than military solution to the problem.

www.reuters.com
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Declaring their peace process irreversible, nuclear rivals India and Pakistan agreed Monday to open up the heavily militarized frontier dividing Kashmir, capping a successful visit by President Pervez Musharraf.

In a rare show of unity, Musharraf and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said they would work toward a "soft border" in Kashmir, opening meeting points for divided families and boosting cross-border trade, travel and cooperation.

Singh, reading out a joint statement next to Musharraf, said the two leaders, "conscious of the historic opportunity created by the improved relations and the overwhelming desire of the peoples of the two countries for durable peace... determined that the peace process was now irreversible."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The India-Pakistan situation is a real and unexpected bright spot in world politics today. After the two nations acquired nuclear weapons, many thought a devastating war was inevitable, but the two sides seem to be making great strides in ending old rivalries and disagreements. I hope they are successful in their efforts, it will make the world a safer place if they are.

Related News Links:
www.jpost.com
www.bloomberg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Kashmir:-India's, Pakistan's, or Independent ?
WAR: New Bus Line a Sign of Peace in Kashmir

[edit on 4/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Well isn't that a breath of fresh air. Nice to see some news of peace and congeniality amongst all the war and sabre-rattling lately.

This also puts China in a stronger position. India's recent improvement of relations with both China and Pakistan makes for a secure Western border for the Middle Kingdom. The time is ripening for the CCP to attack Taiwan if that's what they have planned.

[edit on 2005/4/18 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Go Nukes! Looks like a fear of this
, along with some geostrategic global reorganization, has had an effect!

MAD, making wars cold since 1945!

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Is this for real? Can they put away the thousands of years of conflict and work together for a change?

I worry it's all political fluff that will fall away in a year or so. We can only hope otherwise.

of course, seeing how gvernments often work, I wonder the cost of this "peace"and who paid it. I wonder how much violence and threats and suppression and death by the leaders (who have benefitted and caused these conflicts to rage for centuries) of these nations will be ordered to enforce this goal?

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Phugedaboudet]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think Pakistan comes out the winner in this new relationship. Other than nukes, what does Pakistan offer-up to the world. India on the other hand caught everyone asleep and jumped to the top ranks of technology development, and is manufacturing world-class weaponry systems as well as consumer goods. Peace between these two is good for the world, but can only pull Packistan forward.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think Pakistan comes out the winner in this new relationship. Other than nukes, what does Pakistan offer-up to the world. India on the other hand caught everyone asleep and jumped to the top ranks of technology development, and is manufacturing world-class weaponry systems as well as consumer goods. Peace between these two is good for the world, but can only pull Packistan forward.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Orry folks--I don't know how that triple posting occured.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Peace is like a marriage. It takes ongoing maintainence. It also helps if both parties want to continue it.

Irreversable Peace = BS, though.

Death is the only irreversable peace and since no one has ever reported back we can't even be sure about that.

I am glad they have peace now and seem interested in keeping it going.

All it takes is one radical action and confusion about what caused it.
'Pop' the bubble of peace bursts.

new topics

top topics

join