It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardinals set to convene conclave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Time for the new pope!

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Shrouded in secrecy, cardinals will convene the first of a series of private meetings at the Vatican on Monday to elect a new pope to lead the Roman Catholic Church.

Isolated from the outside world, the 115 eligible cardinals from 52 countries on six continents will begin the millennium's first conclave, with the goal of electing the 265th pope.

CONCLAVE GEOGRAPHY
Below is the geographic distribution of cardinals voting in the conclave:
Europe: 58
Latin America: 20
North America: 14
Africa: 11
Asia: 10
Oceania: 2

Leading countries:
Italy: 20
United States: 11
Germany: 6
Spain: 6
France: 5
Brazil: 4
Canada: 3
Colombia: 3
India: 3
Mexico: 3
Poland: 3

Cardinals set to convene conclave
First of all whats Oceania? Is that like catholics living in the ocean

I hope they pick a new pope soon. I wonder who it will be.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Oceania is usually Australia, New Zealand and other island nations in that area.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Oceania is usually Australia, New Zealand and other island nations in that area.

Thanks didnt know that.

Now lets all pray for a good a pope as Karol Wojtiya was!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
JPII was good. Hopefully the new pope will address the matter of preists molesting and rapping kids and bishops and the vatican covering it up and protecting the abusers.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Being an Atheist and not caring much for organised religion... i suprise myself in being extremely interested in who gets to be the next Pope... Theres no denying it, the pope holds alot of sway... and even if your not catholic his decisions will affect you in some way or another...

P.S i'm waiting for the religion bashers to flock here...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
P.S i'm waiting for the religion bashers to flock here...

I think Nygdan already did

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
It is not unreligious or bashing to criticize the Roman Catholic Church for the priest abuse crisis in the U.S.

[edit on 4/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Try to say Cardinals set to convene conclave 3 times fast

Dont want my points taken away so Ill just keep talking to avoid a one-liner.

do da doa dooo. OH scooby doo doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I agree with Nygdan that the issue of child molesting isnt religion bashing...

I for one would like to see a more progressive Pope... I understand a doctrin is a doctrine, but for any religion to survive it needs to progress with the times.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I for one would like to see a more progressive Pope... I understand a doctrin is a doctrine, but for any religion to survive it needs to progress with the times.

Why should we change our law just because its not the popular thing right now? Doing so would be just like admiting we were wrong. Its fine the way it is. I am considering becoming a priest, and if I do I would still not want it to be changed.

Sorry penis

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
hey likei said i'm not Catholic... in fact i'm atheist so it doesnt concern me none...

I'm not talking about re-writing the bible... but a sfoter stance on contraception, medicine use, and scientific research would be nice... I'm not asking the Pope to condone pre marital sex, or advise people that church is a waste of time... just a few little twists to some of the minor annoyances...

Dude do you realise becoming a priest means missing out on some of the most fun you can have as a human? Well if you go for it best of luck to you... maybe you'll be one of the preferiti one day...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I for one would like to see a more progressive Pope

The Catholic Church isn't a democracy for a reason -
Christ didn't go ask the apostles what the popular belief was
before he went out and taught. He taught the truth. Popular
or not.

The Catholic church may appear dead ... but of course it was
Christ Himself who asked (paraphrase) 'will there by any faith
left when I return?' So if the Catholic church looses people
because it continues to teach the faith ... then so be it.

Do not look for a new pope on the first vote. Traditionally, the
first vote is just the cardinals all voting for each other and having
fun... so they can tell their families 'yes, I received a vote for
Pope'. It isn't until the second vote that they actually get serious.
But of course, all but 3 of these Cardinals are new so they may not
know that tradition of just having a fun first vote ... Ya' never know.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
They just started the conclave today, but I am anxious too. I think we are all up in the air because this is the first event of this type that has had so much media coverage. Was CNN available in 1978?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'm not talking about re-writing the bible... but a sfoter stance on contraception, medicine use, and scientific research would be nice... I'm not asking the Pope to condone pre marital sex, or advise people that church is a waste of time... just a few little twists to some of the minor annoyances...

Dude do you realise becoming a priest means missing out on some of the most fun you can have as a human? Well if you go for it best of luck to you... maybe you'll be one of the preferiti one day...

First of all we have nothing against medicine or scientific research. Contraception, well thats evil

Yes I do realize, but whataya gonna do?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I just hope they don't pick Ratzinger - that guy's a hardliner's hardliner.

Even though JPII was seen as a "conservative", he was very progressive in many ways, mostly having to do with the church's relationship with the rest of the world. Renouncing anti-semitism and the church's past persecutions of the Jews, opening up dialougue with Islam and the Orthodox church, all of these were progressive moves of profound historical importance.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
End of the first day and they didn't reach a concensus on who'll be the next pope.

Black Smoke

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I too hope they decide quickly, but more importantly I hope they choose wisely. I am Catholic and I do see problems within the church. I feel that America is considered the "redheaded stepchild" of the church. We are too liberal. We don't follow church doctorine, we want things changed from the way they have always been. I personally feel that alot of it should stay the same. The only time I had an issue with JPII was over the sex abuse scandal. I felt the new rules instituted after all of it came to light weren't enough. I also felt that the church should sell some of it's relics and pay these people what they are due for their pain and suffering. One last note regarding changes: I heard a joke one time I thought was hilarious. An old priest was told to go to the basement and start translating and transcribing old texts. Days went by and the priest was not heard from. Fearing that something horrible had happened to him the other priests went to look for him. They found him in the basement weeping. I mean really weeping. They asked what could possibly be wrong. He looked at them and though his tears said we got it wrong, the word was celebrate.
Just thought I'd end on a lighter note. jane

top topics

join