It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ted Nugent to Fellow NRAers: Get Hardcore

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by para
I can readily tell you the difference between a car and a gun. I can also tell you the primary purpose of the guns and cars I own. And it might surprise you to know that I own guns to shoot at targets, and nothing else. However, if it ever came to the point where I needed to use one of my guns to defend myself, I would. Same goes for my cars (as strange as the circumstances surrounding that situation would be). If you can’t see that a car is just as dangerous as a gun, if not more so, than I don’t think you are being honest with yourself.
Atlast a decent post on the topic.

I dont agree with it and it uses a a logical slight-of-hand but its a constructive pro-gun post non the least.

If a gun's primary purpose was to shoot at targets whilst being the root of so many deaths it would be banned completely. If any other recreational item resulted in the same amount of deaths and robberies as firearms you can guarantee it would be illegal.

A guns primary purpose is to kill, it is a military weapon first and foremost. Target shooting and hunting are secondary functions of firearms. How is this up for debate? Some may argue that firearms are a defensive weapon which is true but they are also the most offensive personal weapon in existance.

Originally posted by para
The benefits outweigh the risks.
Now that is subjective and is undoubtedly true in your own opinion. But to argue that 28,663 deaths resulting for firearms a year in the year 2000 (436 under 14 years old) outweighs anything is quite hard to believe.

How is your society safe when so many people are dying because of the access to these weapons? Should other efforts be made to increase security? Such as more police or addressing the well understood and agreed causes of crime i.e. poverty and drug addiction?

It seems firearms are a crutch in American social defence but if you are a member of the 436 familes each year who lose a child because of, not inspite of, firearms you would think differently.

[edit on 23/4/05 by subz]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Grady:

These responses are exactly what the thugs want. It is an act of cowardice to pack your gear when scumbags invade your neighborhood. The honorable thing to do is to stand your ground and meet force with force. Such reasoning is the reason so many inner city neighborhoods are crime centers, because when the criminals moved in, the good people packed up.

See, I guess that's the difference between you and me.

I think it's actually an act of cowardice to constantly be afraid of "thugs" trying to rob me or kill me. To "protect" myself by buying a weapon that any old lady can use.

If someone pulls a knife or a gun on me and demands my wallet, I give it over. It's just money.

Should I draw my gun and put up a fight over my 100$ in my wallet? What am I, a big stupid ape living in the jungle beating my chest to show everyone what a big strong male I am? What the hell do I care about 100$? Take it. It's just money.

Does that mean I'm a coward? I don't think so. That makes me a thinking human being, not a testosterone fueled whackjob.

So, hey, label me what you want, I'm comfortable enough in who I am to really not give a rat's behind about what you or any of your ilk might have to say.

So I guess you should try to evolve a little more.

jako

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I must salute all of yall brave souls that will call a man a small dicked gutless coward from behind the safety of computer monitor.

I am a gun owner too and would love to hear one of you call me that to my face. Dont worry about me going back for a gun I dont need a gun to put a smartassed punk in their place.

Now if we all got that out of our systems do you think you can post in a somewhat civil manner?

*I have edited out a delebertly offensive part of my post. It served it purpose and is no longer needed*

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Amuk]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I am a gun owner too, but I don't draw it like that. And I think anyone who does draw it at the drop of a hat is a coward or a little dumb, IMO...if that's you, then deal with it.

Amuk...I have told people, face to face, the same exact thing...even one of my friends. That was definitley not from behind the safety of a computer. In fact, I will continue to tell anybody who does that the same thing.

I find it to be a slap in the face to those who do own guns responsibly. Furthermore, actions like that only promote the government stepping in and removing them. And I wish that everyone would get a grip. Guns are not toys. Guns are not supposed to be used when laying someone out or calling the police would get the job done. Guns are your last resort...not your quick solution...imo.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
I am a gun owner too, but I don't draw it like that.

neither do I. I am not defending Gradys actions I tend to agree that from what he posted he over-reacted. What I have a problem with is people posting crap like "Wimp, Gutless Coward, Small Dicked, etc" on ASTNN.

And I think anyone who does draw it at the drop of a hat is a coward or a little dumb, IMO...if that's you, then deal with it.

I think the same of a lot of different agendas AND people on this board but I still try to debate the issue and not start calling people childish names just because I dont like their posts. Since being out of the Army I have pulled a gun twice and both times it saved lives, I personally would have told the punk to go # himself and went on about my business, but I wasnt there and dont know what all was happening.

DO YOU? Or is your response just because you personally dont like the poster?

Amuk...I have told people, face to face, the same exact thing...even one of my friends. That was definitley not from behind the safety of a computer. In fact, I will continue to tell anybody who does that the same thing.

So you called your friend a Small dicked gutless coward in front of several thousand people? Went on to tell him his entire race was a bunch of terrified cowards who were affraid to fight? All of these terms were used in this thread. This kind of crap IMO is not acceptable ESPECIALLY for ASTNN. I seriously doubt you use these terms with people every day, around here (Arkansas) they would get you a quick trip to the ER.

I find it to be a slap in the face to those who do own guns responsibly. Furthermore, actions like that only promote the government stepping in and removing them. And I wish that everyone would get a grip. Guns are not toys. Guns are not supposed to be used when laying someone out or calling the police would get the job done. Guns are your last resort...not your quick solution...imo.

I could not agree more with you here, but I am from the hills where people are armed AND ARE POLITE to each other.

Guns are for what they are for, Hunting and Protecting your self, your family and property from harm.

My point is not with the issues being brought up here its in the manner of the posts

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Amuk]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This discussion has grown far beyond the scope of the article posted or even my own experience. What I didn't include in my anecdote was the history of the problem and the total number of people involved and the degree of the threat. Which is to say that no one here knows enough about the situation to draw the kinds of conclusions that have been drawn, or any conclusion for that matter.

Bear in mind that I was there. I was the one who was threatened and I was the one who was seriously out-numbered and I was the one who has had to live with these circumstances over an extended period of time and would have to live with the consequences of backing down. Once that weapon was introduced into the equation, everything changed. That act, in fact, defused the situation.

I do not recommend that anyone do what I did based on the minimal information I included in my original post. I am a responsible gun owner and I support responsible gun ownership. I am satisfied that I used the weapon appropriately and to good effect. What anyone else thinks is immaterial to me.

Now, let the "slug-fest" continue.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Nugent: even though he is a "soul archer" like myself with the spirit of the wild, he's an ignorant fool with a platform and a crappy musician to boot. I strongly recoommend everyone to avoid the NRA. THere are legitimate sportsman organization who promote gun education, hunting rights and conservation without the luntaic fringe of the NRA.
I own guns for target shooting and killing animals that I will consume. I own, and prefer, bows and arrows for the same purpose. I will not hesitiate to disable and/or kill people with the same equipment should the need arise. Granted, that need would be at such a far extreme it's hard for me to contemplate a scenario, but I have no qualms in introducing evil to the Creator for judgement.

Grady: I agree with Grady's actions. I'm a "billy badass" with a mixed martial arts background, but I'll be a senior citizen one day. Would I be wise to test my skills against a young buck or a group of young bucks sporting prison muscle? Grady is, I think, a man in his 60's. Why should he put himself in a position where the bygone limits of knowing when to stop are no longer in play? I'm much younger than him, but older than many here: back in my day, you had fights, people lost, and that was it. No weapons, sure there were jump ins, but then that ment everybody got a piece of the rumble. Nowdays, how many times do you see people being "stomped out" - f**ked up beyond need after they've been beaten?
His assessment of Latinos does sound rascist, because it is. But, live in the wrong economically depressed ethnic enclave, and you'll being saying it about Whites, Blacks, Russians, Asisan...not just Latinos.
Yes, he needs to sell some of the gun collection and move to a better neigborhood.
He's dating a Latina, so he can't be all that bad & must have some level game!
So lighten up and picture your grandfather in a similar situation to see if you'd be as harsh.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I appreciate your personal support, Bout Time, but I have to differ with you regarding the NRA. The NRA is all about safety, training and sport and defensive shooting. Were it not for the near constant attacks against the Second Amendment, there would have been no reason for the formation of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action. There are other organizations that are plenty more extreme than the NRA.

Related Links:

www.gallup.com...

www.nra.org...

www.nraila.org...

www.nrafoundation.org...

www.nrapvf.org...

www.nrawinningteam.com...

www.nradefensefund.org...

www.2ampd.net...

www.reload-nrma.com...

www.nrahq.org...

www.nra.org...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
JoeDoaks,

“I don't care how tough someone thinks they are, during a home invasion (multiple perps or a single one with a gun) my wife and kids won't get brutalized or killed. I never met anyone tough enough to want to trade a good punch for a slug. That's just me, I sleep real well and very sound.”

Is a house invasion a regular occurrence for you?
If so, is it perhaps something you should look at for causes, because I mean you might run out of ammo.

Cheers

BHR

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join